Westvleteren XII Special Edition

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Westvleteren XII Special Edition

Post by peetie44 »

The monks at the Abbey of Sint-Sixtus (Westvleteren/Belgium) have been doing a massive abbey-restoration project and, to generate more funds, entered into a deal with the Colryut Supermarket chain to sell 93,000 boxes of 6 special edition bottles of Westvletern 12 (33cl/10.2 abv) + 2 special edition beer glasses for €25 (@$35).

On Nov 2, coupons came out in a couple of local papers and, at the 8:30am store opening (after being there since 7:30am!) on Nov 3, my manager and I were at the head of the line at our local Colryut...where we could buy one box per-person/per-coupon. We each had 2 coupons and, by being at the front of the line, we managed to buy one box each, throw them in the van and then hurry back in line and were able to buy a second box each before they sold out. Btw...all 93,000 boxes, Belgium-wide, sold out in @1 hour.

I know...$70 for 12/33cl bottles of beer plus 4 glasses is insane...but hey...

CHEERS!

"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

mr.dirty pants
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Westvleteren XII Special Edition

Post by mr.dirty pants »

I heard from a good source that these will make there way over to the states for the first time ever. I think shelton brothers is doing the distribution.

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

There are indeed 75000 boxes reserved for export. An opportunity not to be missed.

@Peetie: I bought my box on Friday Nov 3 @7 pm in your local Colruyt. There will still about 30 boxes left. At a party on saturday night in Hasselt however, my wife learned that gold seekers (replace gold by Westvleteren) had been traveling up to Helchteren, only to find that the boxes had indeed been sold out. And from what I've heard on national radio, there was almost mass hysteria on Thursday morning to get a hold on one of the boxes (i-pod/pad type lines where at most of the Colruyts).

Now that I have my box of Westvleteren and the two degustation glasses, I plan to do a taste comparison between th eWestvleteren and the Sint-Bernardus abt, which is said to be a close copy of it. Probably next weekend. I'll keep you guys up to date.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

BBoozer wrote:There are indeed 75000 boxes reserved for export. An opportunity not to be missed.

@Peetie: I bought my box on Friday Nov 3 @7 pm in your local Colruyt. There will still about 30 boxes left. At a party on saturday night in Hasselt however, my wife learned that gold seekers (replace gold by Westvleteren) had been traveling up to Helchteren, only to find that the boxes had indeed been sold out. And from what I've heard on national radio, there was almost mass hysteria on Thursday morning to get a hold on one of the boxes (i-pod/pad type lines where at most of the Colruyts).

Now that I have my box of Westvleteren and the two degustation glasses, I plan to do a taste comparison between th eWestvleteren and the Sint-Bernardus abt, which is said to be a close copy of it. Probably next weekend. I'll keep you guys up to date.
BB...I guess the rumor I heard about a 1hr sellout was just a rumor... {;^)>

I am surprised that there were still any left at our store @7pm, though. When my manager checked the day before (on Nov 2) about the amount of boxes our Colruyt was going to get, the store boss told him "one pallet full" (@160 boxes). We managed to get 2 boxes each from the first pallet, but as we were leaving, we saw a fork-lift with a second pallet. So our store got @320 boxes. The line was still long then so I figured they would've sold out.

Maybe some people had trouble finding coupons? I heard that both Knack and De Standaard (the only 2 sources for coupons...if I'm correct?) sold out early at many newspaper/magazine sales locations, even though the newsstands ordered extra copies.

http://beernews.org/2011/11/westvletere ... ase-event/

Btw...I did the Westvleteren vs Sint-Bernardus comparison last year. To my taste, they are very similar but the Westvleteren seemed to have a bit more of everything regarding the flavor. IMHO, the Westy just tastes bigger.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

peetie44 wrote:
BBoozer wrote:There are indeed 75000 boxes reserved for export. An opportunity not to be missed.

BB...I guess the rumor I heard about a 1hr sellout was just a rumor... {;^)>

I am surprised that there were still any left at our store @7pm, though. When my manager checked the day before (on Nov 2) about the amount of boxes our Colruyt was going to get, the store boss told him "one pallet full" (@160 boxes). We managed to get 2 boxes each from the first pallet, but as we were leaving, we saw a fork-lift with a second pallet. So our store got @320 boxes. The line was still long then so I figured they would've sold out.

Maybe some people had trouble finding coupons? I heard that both Knack and De Standaard (the only 2 sources for coupons...if I'm correct?) sold out early at many newspaper/magazine sales locations, even though the newsstands ordered extra copies.

http://beernews.org/2011/11/westvletere ... ase-event/

Btw...I did the Westvleteren vs Sint-Bernardus comparison last year. To my taste, they are very similar but the Westvleteren seemed to have a bit more of everything regarding the flavor. IMHO, the Westy just tastes bigger.
Believe me, I was surprised (in a pleasant way) too. When I came home from work, my redhead told me she had been at the store at noon, and there was still about half a pallet left. But she had no coupon with her (she had thrown it away, as women always try to clean up the place) and tried in vain to get a box. So when I came home I ran thorugh the paper waste and, once the coupon was found, rushed to Colruyt. I guess you're right about the coupons though. Maybe Knack and Standaard are really a city thing and not read so much in northern Limburg.

As to the tasting, I plan to share with my redhead and start with (each) half a bottle of Sint-Bernardus before proceeding to the Westvleteren (which implies a prejudgment - i.e. I expect the Westvleteren to be the better beer). Now, I might throw in the Rochefort 10. In my opinion, this is a great beer that compares with Westvleteren.

Should we do a blind tasting? Did you?

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

BBoozer wrote: Believe me, I was surprised (in a pleasant way) too. When I came home from work, my redhead told me she had been at the store at noon, and there was still about half a pallet left. But she had no coupon with her (she had thrown it away, as women always try to clean up the place) and tried in vain to get a box. So when I came home I ran thorugh the paper waste and, once the coupon was found, rushed to Colruyt. I guess you're right about the coupons though. Maybe Knack and Standaard are really a city thing and not read so much in northern Limburg.

As to the tasting, I plan to share with my redhead and start with (each) half a bottle of Sint-Bernardus before proceeding to the Westvleteren (which implies a prejudgment - i.e. I expect the Westvleteren to be the better beer). Now, I might throw in the Rochefort 10. In my opinion, this is a great beer that compares with Westvleteren.

Should we do a blind tasting? Did you?
I did it like this with the Sint-Bernardus:

Since the two beers look virtually identical, with my back turned, my manager (Brian) poured both beers into identical Westmalle Trappist glasses (he knew which beer was which). After taking initial sips of each glass, I could taste a difference and, even when I turned my back and Brian switched (or didn't switch) the glasses' positions randomly (so by sight, I would never know for sure which beer was in which glass), I identified the Westvleteren correctly by taste each time we tried this (@6-7 times). It just seemed to have a bigger and more open flavor.

I agree 100% about the Rochefort 10 (9.5 abv, correct?)...IMHO, that's the beer that compares most favorably with the Westvleteren 12 (10.2 abv).

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

This thread is just torture to me: how come they didn't think about sending some to the french market?
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mr Boozificator wrote:This thread is just torture to me: how come they didn't think about sending some to the french market?
El B...no offense meant here, but...you guys can't even brew a decent pilsner...how would you know if Westvleteren 12 was good or not?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

I've stated that a thousand times: sadly it's true that almost all our macrobrews are just as uninteresting as the American ones, but there are yet some good French beers: 3 Monts, La Goudale, La Choulette ou Duchesse Anne are good examples.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mr Boozificator wrote:I've stated that a thousand times: sadly it's true that almost all our macrobrews are just as uninteresting as the American ones, but there are yet some good French beers: 3 Monts, La Goudale, La Choulette ou Duchesse Anne are good examples.
I've had La Goudale...that's good beer.

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

all of the liquor stores i've checked with locally can't get westvleteren. i'd love to try some. the only trappist beers i've ever had are chimay in the red, white, and blue label varieties. all of which i loved, but i think the red is my favorite of the three. also, i've had orval which to date is my absolute favorite beer. i would love to track down all the other trappist beers and try them also.
into each life a little stroh's must fall - surreal

i told my landlord and all the other tenants they could fuck off if they don't like hank- hellbound glory

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

hossthomas wrote:all of the liquor stores i've checked with locally can't get westvleteren. i'd love to try some. the only trappist beers i've ever had are chimay in the red, white, and blue label varieties. all of which i loved, but i think the red is my favorite of the three. also, i've had orval which to date is my absolute favorite beer. i would love to track down all the other trappist beers and try them also.
Orval is good shit, for sure. Try Kwak if you liked Orval.

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

i just researched this pauwel kwak. a belgian amber that weighs in at 8.4%, sounds like somethin i would dig. as per your suggestion, i will see if i can find it next time i go to the candy store. if i find it i'll let you know what i think, boozie.

i told my landlord and all the other tenants they could fuck off if they don't like hank- hellbound glory

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

hossthomas wrote:all of the liquor stores i've checked with locally can't get westvleteren. i'd love to try some. the only trappist beers i've ever had are chimay in the red, white, and blue label varieties. all of which i loved, but i think the red is my favorite of the three. also, i've had orval which to date is my absolute favorite beer. i would love to track down all the other trappist beers and try them also.
Don't bother looking for Westvleteren. Even in Belgium it is (normally) illegal for stores to sell it. You can only buy it at the abbey after making an appointment weeks in advance. This special edition was the only exception. It was a fundraiser for the monks who want to erect a new building. It was sold at only one chain of supermarkets and you needed a coupon which could be found in one particular news magazine and one particular newspaper. 90000 boxes were issued. The good news is that there will be shipment of 70000 boxes to the rest of the world soon.

May I suggest, if you're into Belgian beers and the trappists in particular, that you plan your next vacation in Belgium? One or two weeks will lead you around the great historic cities and you can start drinking speciality beers immediately after breakfast on a sunny terrace without getting a bad look. And you'll be served each beer in its dedicated glass. We Belgians are pretty particular about this. If you're interested in WWI relics, there is Ieper with its 'In flanders fields' museum - with Westvleteren nearby (there is a pub where you can actually drink Westvleteren). If you're into hiking, there's the Ardennes, where you can make great hikes interlaced with great beer cafés.

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

i would love to make a trip to belgium some day, and if i can ever get in a financial situation where i'm not livin from week to week i will definitely do so.