Mythbusters

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Mythbusters

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Specifically, tonight's episode, is the one I am immediately concerned with, but, in general, I reckon...

Two separate myths discussed; one, the old "beer and liquor" hangover one. The other: golf-ball dimpled car. (I'm pretty sure that this episode was a rerun.)
The beer and liquor hangover one was of the most interest for this forums's purposes. Both guys said that the beer only hangover was worse in regards to the "tests" that they put them through.

or something...I lost my concentration.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Mythbusters

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I've never found the "beer before liquor makes you sicker" rule to be true in my case. In fact, the last time I puked was an evening that I started with (a lot of) scotch then switched to a lot of heavy beer. It all just boils down to volume: if you drink a whole bunch, you're gonna get a hangover. If you start with beer and then maintain that same pace with liquor -shocker!- that'll lead to a bad hangover.

These days, I'll have some beers while cooking and eating, but switch to liquor when it's time to get down to it, drunk-wise. No worse for wear.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

frankennietzsche wrote:Specifically, tonight's episode, is the one I am immediately concerned with, but, in general, I reckon...

Two separate myths discussed; one, the old "beer and liquor" hangover one. The other: golf-ball dimpled car. (I'm pretty sure that this episode was a rerun.)
The beer and liquor hangover one was of the most interest for this forums's purposes. Both guys said that the beer only hangover was worse in regards to the "tests" that they put them through.

or something...I lost my concentration.
Beer hangover are not that bad I have every day. I got sick on both beer before liquor,liquor before beer.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

I think I saw that episode. Didn't they only have like 5 drinks each or something?

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I guess that it was respectable drinking for "normal" folks, whatever that may mean. The first session was beer only; the second was an equivellent amount of alcohol in both beer and alcohol.
The man named Tory had 14 beers; Grant had 6, but he's a lightweight egghead.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I think alot of times what happens is, the same thing that gives tequila a bad name, in that you got a bunch of people drinking beer, then midway through the night after everyone is good and drunk someone brings out a bottle of______ and every one starts drinking hard. So of course the hangover is going to bad, you drank more than you thought you did when you switched. Now if you take beer and liquor together, you should be alright. It all comes down to how much you drank, how hydrated you are/were, and how well your body deals with alcohol. After awhile the hangover dosnt come around as often....
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

No. Tequila is infused with ancient Aztec spirits. That's why that is that way!

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by One for the Frog »

JimLahey wrote:I think I saw that episode. Didn't they only have like 5 drinks each or something?
What? In that case I bet they thought hangover is something that disturbed you in your sleep, so it's not a wonder they found the effect of beer more severe.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Hangover is all in your mind. Like "moderate drinking", and Santa Claus. Imaginary. Don't sit there looking confused. I'll pour you another drink and maybe in a while you'll see what I'm saying.
like tears in rain

Rabies
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rabies »

Miklo wrote:I think alot of times what happens is, the same thing that gives tequila a bad name, in that you got a bunch of people drinking beer, then midway through the night after everyone is good and drunk someone brings out a bottle of______ and every one starts drinking hard. So of course the hangover is going to bad, you drank more than you thought you did when you switched. Now if you take beer and liquor together, you should be alright. It all comes down to how much you drank, how hydrated you are/were, and how well your body deals with alcohol. After awhile the hangover dosnt come around as often....
I've heard that before, but I was told it had to do with the temperature beer is cold and when whiskey is added it causes the cells to dilate quickly resulting in vomiting, just like after drinking liquor all night you don't drink ice water for the same reason
There's a game called drinking, it's a lot like solitaire

Look poor, act crazy, and carry a gun. -Faint-Hearted

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

The ladies say I'm an Irish mythbuster.
I'll miss you, pallie.

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Hmmm... I need to see this show. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, my father gave me the advice of "if you start drinking X only drink X that night. If you start with X and switch to Y, you'll get sick." For reasons still unbeknownst to me, it was one of the pieces of advice that I've (generally) kept through the decades. Sad to think he may been repeating a myth.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

great show. they've done other alcohol-related episodes, too. some strong, some kinda dryish, but hey, they have lawyers. there was one i remember about how to un.drunk up, and adam was trying exercise and busted ass on a treadmill and was totally okay with it.

here ya go:

http://deano.videosift.com/video/Adam-S ... in-Slow-mo
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Rabies wrote:
I've heard that before, but I was told it had to do with the temperature beer is cold and when whiskey is added it causes the cells to dilate quickly resulting in vomiting, just like after drinking liquor all night you don't drink ice water for the same reason
I really doubt that they temperature of the liquids has anything to do with it. Everything becomes the same temperature quickly in your stomach.
I think that they liquor and then beer thing either has to do with pacing or with beer being carbonated and the "science" behind carbonation causing alcohol to be absorbed faster.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I think I don't care too much about science but want to get drunk.
Drink>science.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.