Booze News

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Booze News

Post by Lush City »

What Makes Bourbon Uniquely American?
A new book examines everything that makes the spirit special to the United States: Bourbon Empire.

To buy a copy in US $, click here.
To buy a copy in GB £ or EU €, click here.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

To be published in early 2016, is a new book, by Henry Jeffreys, "Empire of Booze"; which looks to be a spiffing read. Those who would like a preview, click here, to read some excellent snippets, that have been published in, the British newspaper, The Guardian.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

My Long Trek Through Nepal, to Deliver a Stiff Drink

As I worked, filing every night from a hotel room, the details nagged at me. Her mother, Japa Tamang, was living in an open-sided shed once used to store grain, in hills still shuddering from aftershocks. My husband had the idea of giving her a ride back to Kathmandu and a plane ticket to Delhi, and this idea cheered me up greatly. But when this offer was conveyed to her, she said no, thank you. She did make one request: Could I bring her a bottle of whiskey?

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Doing God's work right there.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Palinka wrote:To be published in early 2016, is a new book, by Henry Jeffreys, "Empire of Booze"; which looks to be a spiffing read. Those who would like a preview, click here, to read some excellent snippets, that have been published in, the British newspaper, The Guardian.
The tyranny of licensing laws in the UK is shocking. This is very similar to the 'blue laws' you find in the 'Bible Belt' states in the US.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... y-jeffreys
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

You may have wondered about this...
Do Smarter People Drink More?
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1158 ... orrelation

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Lush City wrote:This is the face of the enemy. Learn it. Understand it. Resist it.
Advocate wants cheap booze banned
http://krqe.com/2014/12/22/advocate-wan ... ze-banned/
Shit, I drive 100 mph on the interstate undrunk.

Here's to not doing that drunk, though. My only drunkish driving experiences have been the distance of a few blocks that max out at 30 mph when nobody is on the roads and the STL cops are busy with murders, gang crime, and robbery. Since then, however, I felt lucky to be alive (or not in jail... uh... for drunk driving, other reasons, uhhh....), and have affirmed myself to calling a cab and getting my car the next day if I need to leave. It also helps that I have a drinking buddy with self control. If we go far enough, he gets fairly buzzed, then gauges the party. When he knows it's right, he stops drinking, and can undrunk up RIGHT on time when we roll out. He's a fucking master, and I admire that control. He is the driver for any out of town function. Bastard can be partying, having a good time, then completely cut himself off, and be stone cold undrunk at the exact moment we roll out. Meanwhile, I'm absolutely sloshed, and end up forgetting a stop at a gas station for cigarettes, FIVE minutes after it happened on the way home. That was a night to remember, especially with that girl at the party... I remember everything but the gas station stop haha
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Chimneyfish wrote:My Long Trek Through Nepal, to Deliver a Stiff Drink
As I worked, filing every night from a hotel room, the details nagged at me. Her mother, Japa Tamang, was living in an open-sided shed once used to store grain, in hills still shuddering from aftershocks. My husband had the idea of giving her a ride back to Kathmandu and a plane ticket to Delhi, and this idea cheered me up greatly. But when this offer was conveyed to her, she said no, thank you. She did make one request: Could I bring her a bottle of whiskey?
Excellent! This is living. How in the world did those people get a taste for whiskey?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

brandonman wrote:
Lush City wrote:This is the face of the enemy. Learn it. Understand it. Resist it.
Advocate wants cheap booze banned
http://krqe.com/2014/12/22/advocate-wan ... ze-banned/
Shit, I drive 100 mph on the interstate undrunk.

Here's to not doing that drunk, though. My only drunkish driving experiences have been the distance of a few blocks that max out at 30 mph when nobody is on the roads and the STL cops are busy with murders, gang crime, and robbery. Since then, however, I felt lucky to be alive (or not in jail... uh... for drunk driving, other reasons, uhhh....), and have affirmed myself to calling a cab and getting my car the next day if I need to leave. It also helps that I have a drinking buddy with self control. If we go far enough, he gets fairly buzzed, then gauges the party. When he knows it's right, he stops drinking, and can undrunk up RIGHT on time when we roll out. He's a fucking master, and I admire that control. He is the driver for any out of town function. Bastard can be partying, having a good time, then completely cut himself off, and be stone cold undrunk at the exact moment we roll out. Meanwhile, I'm absolutely sloshed, and end up forgetting a stop at a gas station for cigarettes, FIVE minutes after it happened on the way home. That was a night to remember, especially with that girl at the party... I remember everything but the gas station stop haha
Maybe sleep in your car? Here in germany it is not allowed to live out of your trunk, but it happens so seldomly that no one would care. Did I tell the story of trying to enter other Fords with my Ford Fiesta Keys back when I was 19? No? Good. God bacchus saved my drunken soul so many times...
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Here’s What Happens When You Age Whisky
Hint: The barrel really does matter
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new ... 40/?no-ist

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Quiz: How Does Alcohol Shape Your Personality?
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015120 ... nk-you-are

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Nutty Professor. These tests suck, I always beg for option four: neither, please type in
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

What's the Secret to Dodging Hangovers?
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015121 ... -hangovers

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Feds try to suppress herbal molecule that makes your liver nearly 'bulletproof' against alcohol damage
That's our loving government always looking out for our best interests. Yeah...
http://www.naturalnews.com/052653_alcoh ... e_NTX.html

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

JetBlue pilot busted for flying drunk to JFK.
http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/jetblue-pi ... nk-to-jfk/
Not a very happy ending to a daring drinking experience. Beware of booking your next flight to Blackout Island!