WTF, gout?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

stinie
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: WTF, gout?

Post by stinie »

Mori is currently suffering similar pain, but it's been diagnosed as Turf Toe. I thought gout was a growth or something. I really don't know what gout is at all.

Judge

Post by Judge »

I've had this. Drank through it anyway. Not a recommended treatment however my killing my family and customers in a rage of undrunkeness due to the lack of rose tinted glasses indicated I suffer through the pain and emerge still a free man but slightly more tired.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

Judge wrote:I've had this. Drank through it anyway. Not a recommended treatment however my killing my family and customers in a rage of undrunkeness due to the lack of rose tinted glasses indicated I suffer through the pain and emerge still a free man but slightly more tired.

This.

I have occasional gout flare ups and drink throughout them as well. Hurts like a bitch, the doc always gives me a steroid shot and a seven day prescription of steroids and I'm almost always pain free within two days, with marked improvement within hours of the shot Just my personal experience.
into each life a little stroh's must fall - surreal

i told my landlord and all the other tenants they could fuck off if they don't like hank- hellbound glory

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

All I can think is "You poor bastard" While I chuckle and continue to drink.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

G_W wrote:All I can think is "You poor bastard" While I chuckle and continue to drink.

Knock on wood, don't jinx yourself.

I, however, like to knock my wood upon others in an elevator.

The elevator only goes up, or else it would have been called something else.

Drink for those who shouldn't, me included.
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Thank you to all who showed support. It seems this flare is almost over and I'll be checking with a blood test tomorrow if that indeed is gout. I really don't understand: it's supposed to happen mostly to people inactive or overweight., or eating a lot of red meat and no veggies. I'm the exact opposite of those three.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

Mr Boozificator wrote:Thank you to all who showed support. It seems this flare is almost over and I'll be checking with a blood test tomorrow if that indeed is gout. I really don't understand: it's supposed to happen mostly to people inactive or overweight., or eating a lot of red meat and no veggies. I'm the exact opposite of those three.
Then you know what to do.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Better to get information and help yourself and strengthen bodily functions than ignore it all and rely on last minute health care...
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

steved2112 wrote:
Mr Boozificator wrote:...It's supposed to happen mostly to people inactive or overweight, or eating a lot of red meat and no veggies. I'm the exact opposite of those three.
Then you know what to do.

Exquisite irony.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

purine, that was what I was thinking about. it is supposed to aggravate gout, so far as I have read. there's lots of it in cat food, I know that, but I just read there is quite a lot in beer. I know there is a lot in cat food because cats need more than other mammals, as I read in my big book of cats.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Lush City wrote:Better to get information and help yourself and strengthen bodily functions than ignore it all and rely on last minute health care...
That sounds smart...oh, wait...
frankennietzsche wrote:I have some experience in this, and, if you are not adverse to a little homeopathy, here is my advice for you to take it as you will:
Celery seed capsules. (There is an extract, but I've never taken it.)
Eat a bunch of cherries, blueberries and strawberries.
Ingest water and vitamin c. I beleive that orange juice might have too many sulfites in it.
Black cherry juice is the optimal juice; is available in a concentrate in these United States and can be taken by the spoonful.

Don't eat cured meat, sausages or offal.
Also, asparagus might exacerbate it.

I have read that wine was the only liquor that was alright to drink.

Also, a guy at work with whom I have bonded with over gout swears that Naproxen is a miracle and that his doctor told him to take 3 Aleve™ at the onset of an attack.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

My dear, here's hoping your unpleasantness subsides swiftly.

The previous recommendations of cherry extract are spot on. Cherries, blueberries and strawberries have excellent anti-inflammatory properties.

As you know, uric acid is your nemesis. Have yourself a few grilled chicken over salad and turkey on rye. Supplement with fish oil capsules - enteric coated, natch - and lecithin.

The drys would have you believe it's the booze... We all know what to do with drys' opinions...
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

NYDingbat wrote:My dear, here's hoping your unpleasantness subsides swiftly.

The previous recommendations of cherry extract are spot on. Cherries, blueberries and strawberries have excellent anti-inflammatory properties.

As you know, uric acid is your nemesis. Have yourself a few grilled chicken over salad and turkey on rye. Supplement with fish oil capsules - enteric coated, natch - and lecithin.

The drys would have you believe it's the booze... We all know what to do with drys' opinions...
Drys opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink...
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Ultimate irony: this was indeed gout and my blood test indicate that the surge of uric acid has absolutely nothing to do with my drinking. My GamaGT is actually lower than the one of most dries and my liver is in perfect shape. The phenomenon was triggered by a combination of DNA, something unusual in terms of food (?) and TOO MUCH SPORT!
Incredible: my physical activities have harmed me just as much as my eating too much protein rich food and way more than my boozing has. I should have suspected something when I realized that this flare occurred during a period of time when I was mostly undrunk while nothing ever happened to me during one of the CCCs or MWI.
It's official, I now hate sport. Churchill was right.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I was earlier about to add suggestion of too much protein being a cause, by some some strange logic. Anyhow, hope you get to the real sport that is lifting pints long as one's arm can carry the weight soon enough.