The Office Bar: On the Verge of a Comeback?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: The Office Bar: On the Verge of a Comeback?

Post by Mr Boozificator »

coqui_chris wrote:
Bluespook wrote:i'm not trying to say the policy is right or wrong, just pointing out the why. Personally i don't agree with it. But i also do understand it. People 50 years ago would shrug off most things that didn't go their way or didn't really have much to do with them. Today, they sue the shit out of you for the slightest problem. It would be nice if we could have fully stocked office bars and liquor cabinets. The three martini lunch comming back into fashion. Unfortunately this isn't the case so long as everyone is afraid of lawsuits and bad publicity.
I totally know what you mean by that, its a two-way street with the lawsuits and the contract-writing between management and workers from what I've seen, with the mercenary lawyers hovering in-between.

But I think we are talking about two different things ... The liability of a company who won't let you drink on the job because if you get hurt and turn around to point the finger at you is one thing and totally understandable from the employers' perspectives.

The problem comes from when because health benefits are now an established right and part and parcel to Earned Wages, companies decide that certain out-of-work activities are just too damn expensive for them in regards to health risks and now they're going to refuse to hire you if you smoke or eat unhealthy or drink.

Fuck Bloomberg.
Here the law is very simple: You do something while drunk and you are not covered in any way anymore by any insurance policy, whether it would driving, working, or just crossing the street whatever. Your boss can not be held responsible no matter what (people at Ricard have some sort of an open bar at work and are being given a serious discount on the alcohols issued by their company), which leaves you with the following statement: "when I drink, everything that is going to happen to me, I will have to answer for". There are other policies that I don't like around here, but I find this one sensible.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Does a home office qualify? I'm retired and my office is well stocked...More booze than work... You got a problem with that?
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

OK. That is fucking excellent.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

I'm bringing up the idea that all fire alarm techs must wear a tie on Monday.

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

coqui_chris wrote:
Fuck Bloomberg.
Couldn't possibly agree with you more.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Sir, what are you doing with your tie in your mouth?
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:
Bluespook wrote:i'm not trying to say the policy is right or wrong, just pointing out the why. Personally i don't agree with it. But i also do understand it. People 50 years ago would shrug off most things that didn't go their way or didn't really have much to do with them. Today, they sue the shit out of you for the slightest problem. It would be nice if we could have fully stocked office bars and liquor cabinets. The three martini lunch comming back into fashion. Unfortunately this isn't the case so long as everyone is afraid of lawsuits and bad publicity.
I totally know what you mean by that, its a two-way street with the lawsuits and the contract-writing between management and workers from what I've seen, with the mercenary lawyers hovering in-between.

But I think we are talking about two different things ... The liability of a company who won't let you drink on the job because if you get hurt and turn around to point the finger at you is one thing and totally understandable from the employers' perspectives.

The problem comes from when because health benefits are now an established right and part and parcel to Earned Wages, companies decide that certain out-of-work activities are just too damn expensive for them in regards to health risks and now they're going to refuse to hire you if you smoke or eat unhealthy or drink.

Fuck Bloomberg.
Here the law is very simple: You do something while drunk and you are not covered in any way anymore by any insurance policy, whether it would driving, working, or just crossing the street whatever. Your boss can not be held responsible no matter what (people at Ricard have some sort of an open bar at work and are being given a serious discount on the alcohols issued by their company), which leaves you with the following statement: "when I drink, everything that is going to happen to me, I will have to answer for". There are other policies that I don't like around here, but I find this one sensible.
See, that's still not addressing this disturbing trend.

Right now we have the following rules coming into effect: Do you smoke even on your own time? You're fired.

Drinking will be next.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

coqui_chris wrote:See, that's still not addressing this disturbing trend.

Right now we have the following rules coming into effect: Do you smoke even on your own time? You're fired.

Drinking will be next.
Then you had better vote for a proper National Health Service, my friend.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Well, the great thing about posting online, is you can keep on going, until you fall beneath your desk, or until your darling pain-in-the-ass snarls at you and drags you off to bed.

and he is one to talk, but that is another topic of discussion.
like tears in rain

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Lush City wrote: Sir, what are you doing with your tie in your mouth?
Heheheee!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Lush City wrote:
Sir, what are you doing with your tie in your mouth?
I, sir, am sucking an ink stain out of it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Can't you see me standing here I've got my back against the wrecking machine

http://business-news.thestreet.com/phil ... t/11985154
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

Coqui_chris is right. This is quite disturbing. First they came for the stoners, people who smoke on their own time and aren't hurting anyone, at least not as far as the company should be concerned. I get it if you are a cop or something, but some guy working construction who likes to smoke a joint at night after work... bullshit. Then they came for the smokers. The drinkers will probably be next, followed up by people who don't fit into the height/weight guidlines. Perhaps those that don't pass some kind of colesterol test will be after that. Disturbing indeed. The only thing the working man has going for him is that if they do try to do all this shit there will be nobody left to work and he will win by default. Strange and frightening times we live in.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

NYDingbat wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:
Fuck Bloomberg.
Couldn't possibly agree with you more.
Oh gawd, really. Isn't he an assmunch. He ought to get together with our stupid governor.
like tears in rain