Local pub, new owner, bourbon question and others

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Local pub, new owner, bourbon question and others

Post by Resident Asshole »

So, my local is being bought out by one of my best friends and golfing partner. She has already worked there over a decade and she wrote the food menu so she knows her way around the place. It is a medium sized Irish pub with 8 dartboards and bands several night a week, with a small patio as well. They have 6 taps and full booze selection, 2 TVs on each side of the U-shaped bar.

She isn't planning on changing a ton, but she is re-doing the food menu and re-evaluating what booze to carry. She is already the one getting the microbrews in so she's on top of that.

Question #1, Old Crow is the current well bourbon and she wants to switch. She asked me what I knew of EW and I told her don't bother looking any further just switch to Evan Williams. Any naysayers? If so, what do you suggest?

I will add more questions as she/we get further in the process.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Local pub, new owner, bourbon question and others

Post by peetie44 »

EW at a fair price is a beautiful thing.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Uncle Sal
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Uncle Sal »

yes on the EW. good choice.
need a woman be good to me... won't hide my whiskey try to serve me tea...

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I concur, well EW is a much better choice than the Crow.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

EW in place of Old Crow is a step up. Who the hell sells Old Crowe? Maybe at some bargain basement drug store. It's a step up from household cleaners and solvents.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I guess I am the only one in support of the Crow. Although I do alternate between EW and the Crow for my regular, I prefer the Crow.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Old Crow is a pretty common well-level bourbon. I've yet to visit a bar that even carries EW, so I think it would be awesome to find a place where that was the house pour.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

FIGHTING COCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

My complaint is most bars don't stock a big variety of bourbons. Discovered George Dickel and Buffalo Trace but who the hell serves that? Oh well, just another argument to get shit faced at home.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Lush City wrote:My complaint is most bars don't stock a big variety of bourbons. Discovered George Dickel and Buffalo Trace but who the hell serves that? Oh well, just another argument to get shit faced at home.
Bourbon bar is the way to go. Hell even shit-hole Dayton has one of those.
http://www.centurybourbon.com/
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Lush City wrote:My complaint is most bars don't stock a big variety of bourbons. Discovered George Dickel and Buffalo Trace but who the hell serves that? Oh well, just another argument to get shit faced at home.
It has become a high end outlet. Will have to visit one of these and book a motel room. It would be a lot cheaper than a cab ride.
http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012 ... ngeles.php

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Lush City wrote: Will have to visit one of these and book a motel room. It would be a lot cheaper than a cab ride.
http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012 ... ngeles.php
Hey man if you like bourbon and cannot get to the bourbon trail , your best bet is to get rich and buy it all or go to a bourbon bar for tastings. You may get just a taste of your future lover.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Hey, that's MY Dayton you're talking about, and I love the Bourbon bar we went to, with all the nice black wood carvings and shit, and the Bourbon. Oh, the Asian diner was really cool too. On tuesday I'll be cooking the coconut milk and green curry chicken just for that. Call me a nostalgic.
Now I need to find myself smurfs to stomp on.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

FWIW, if you can't find a bourbon bar in your area don't blame the owners, blame the customers that drink bud light all day and if they ever drink bourbon they ask for Beam regardless of what's on the shelf.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Mr Boozificator wrote: Hey, that's MY Dayton you're talking about, and I love the Bourbon bar we went to, with all the nice black wood carvings and shit, and the Bourbon. Oh, the Asian diner was really cool too. On tuesday I'll be cooking the coconut milk and green curry chicken just for that. Call me a nostalgic.
Now I need to find myself smurfs to stomp on.
That was a good day, The White Lotus, the Century, and laughing at the guy in the chicken suit selling mattresses or televisions or wht the hell ever during a heat wave. And yea, I think I remember them giving you a key to the city.