Happy St Patrick's Day!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on the not insulting other people's faiths.
It's a little rude at best, and dowright infruriating at worst.
I find it seems to be a trend these days to be an "atheist" or to openly mock Christianity. Funny how you don't see anyone openly mocking Jewish people for being Jewish or Muslims for being Muslims... seems to be writing a check you can't cash to just stick to one religion, not to mention the largest and mostly passive one.... just a thought...

On St. Patty's, I'd have to largely agree with some of you in saying (as someone of Irish heritage) its mostly just a joke of a holiday and an excuse for College students and jocks to get drunk on green beer and claim Irish grandfathers or cousins.
We experianced drunks don't need any excuse to get drunk.
We don't even need alcohol sometimes...

On the 17th i just sat around my room listening to Neil Young and drinking Guiness ...seemed a fine enough celebration for me.
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

Sixpack595
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Sixpack595 »

LadyRed wrote:I love St. Pat's because I dress up in green and get drink specials all night. One MUST love the drink specials!!
I dress in Orange and steal peoples booze when they set it down.

Kidding. Actually this is the first time I ever wore green on St Pats. Just a hat, but still...
"Finally, this board was never meant to be a soap opera where people should funnel their emotions and social lives into, it was never meant to be a substitute for drinking and interacting with other drunks at bars." Modern Drunkard

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Sixpack595 wrote:
LadyRed wrote:I love St. Pat's because I dress up in green and get drink specials all night. One MUST love the drink specials!!
I dress in Orange and steal peoples booze when they set it down.

Kidding. Actually this is the first time I ever wore green on St Pats. Just a hat, but still...
When I get pictures developed, you will all see just how decked out I became. I had a green hat, green/gold eyeshadow, green pants, and a clover on my shirt... I obtained beads from the bartender. Oh, and many green shots. I had something called "Irish Frogman" shots. It's Irish whiskey, Irish Cream and Midori to make it all pretty. I had vodka between the many shots. It wasn't so pretty coming back up...
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: St. Pat's: A major inconvenience to dedicated drunks.

Post by zak »

Fighting Frank wrote:And Irish people out there: How do you "celebrate" the holiday (apart from getting shit-faced)? I mean, it's not like Christmas and Easter where 90% of the Christians make their bi-annual concession to the scrawny fag on the cross and actually go to church, or the 4th of July, when we shoot off fireworks, listen to a speach, and go to a parade.
Me I drink Irish Beer, Irish Whiskey, Irish Vodka, Irish Cream, etc. make corned beef and cabbage, and watch the parade, (my local had over 170,00 in attendence) As a drunkard I celebrate every holiday by drinking. I don't give a shit about amature hour, you get to meet and drink with people you wouldn't normally drink with. Also it's a good start of Spring celebration.
I'm not a Christian, but will you please stop using homosexual reference negatively. I'm pretty damn sure Jesus did not enjoy the company of men.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Where the bloody hell was I for this thread?

oh yeah. :oops:

Passed out under my desk.
like tears in rain

Jackie07
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Jackie07 »

Savage wrote:Where the bloody hell was I for this thread?

oh yeah. :oops:

Passed out under my desk.
I was home (Cleveland) where I didn't have a computer because we're "poor." I had the best St. Patrick's Day ever. There were about 10 of us crowded into my best friend's 2-room apartment. We started drinking around 9am, got a van taxi downtown around 12pm to the parade....spent the next 3 hours in pubs and out on the street watching the parade....I wore my Irish dancing shoes....I tried to piss in an alley and ended up pissing all over myself and had to walk around that way for the rest of the day...we went to a free jam band concert at the Odeon and danced with little kids for a couple hours...then went to a Spanish bar (to appease a friend from Spain) and went to a couple more pubs....I think I passed out around 11pm....not sure. What a fucking great night.
"OPOVE TRHE DYCJUBG BIARD,,,TI AND I ARAE OTGETHER...HE SAITH MY WHILE THEY IN TEROOOGAATEEDMER."

~190Proof, on (presumably) love.

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

st patricks day

Post by Hardcore Stig »

I got to admit, as a Englishman I actively avoid St Patricks night. I celebrate St Georges day as it is my countries day. I have no issue with the Irish tearing shit uo though :)

I avoid 4th july for similar reasons, that's the day the US kick the English out, it's like asking the Germans to celebrate D-Day. Again though, knock yourselves out if you wanna enjoy it to it's fullest guys.
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Judge

Re: st patricks day

Post by Judge »

Hardcore Stig wrote:I got to admit, as a Englishman I actively avoid St Patricks night. I celebrate St Georges day as it is my countries day. I have no issue with the Irish tearing shit uo though :)

I avoid 4th july for similar reasons, that's the day the US kick the English out, it's like asking the Germans to celebrate D-Day. Again though, knock yourselves out if you wanna enjoy it to it's fullest guys.[/b]
He's good fun but not so much a saint I'd think. Have the party, post pics if non admissable. We'll all enjoy. I go to the local around 11am, have my whisky/guinness libation and get the hell out and celebrate at home. Amature night indeed but it need'nt stop homegrown festivities.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Bender!
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Bender! »

Meh.

Its a holiday that I've both enjoyed and been bored with. I hope this year will be better. When I lived in New Orleans, that was a party. Here, not so much. Doesn't mean I'm giving up though.
Alcoholic is a medical term, Drunkard is a lifestyle. ~ Junkman.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

One thing in my life that I'd like to do is walk Croagh Patrick barefoot. If old Irishmen with weather-grizzled faces who smoke pipes into their 80's and drink poitin on their deathbeds can do it, then I'd be a girlyman to need some sort of comfortable hiking boot.

As for the 17th of March, I'm not sure what routine I will undertake this year. I'm sure my slave-driving boss won't grant a holiday this day. I'm praying for inclement weather. I was thinking of doing the Irish Bar trek from one end of my township to the other, but I might skip two towns over, where a bunch of my friends most likely will be.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I'm going to eat Lucky Charms until my ears bleed!

Then run around yelling about potatoes.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Last year I spent St Patrick's in Limerick and that was an amazing night. I could try to think of a limerick to sum it up but I can't be arsed.

This year is a Tuesday - hmm, not great but will hit a few Irish pubs anyway. Could do a reasonable Irish Bar-trek here. Looking forward to it...

slushfund

Post by slushfund »

Fuck the English.

Rumhead
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rumhead »

To start out I'll have to say - Who the fuck gives a fuck about St. Patrick's Day? It's just a goddamn amateur hour!

Now that I've got that out of my system I'll say I used to love St. Patrick's Day as (when we lived in NY) my parents would always pull me out of school to go to the parade. Most of my adult life I loved it because I played in a pipe band and it was a huge money maker for us.

But I no longer have school to worry about and I no longer play in a pipe band so I guess I'll go back to celebrating my Irish Heritage on the other days I usually celebrate it - There are 365 of those days in a year to be exact.
Alcohol makes us better human beings. - FKR

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

slushfund

Post by slushfund »

slushfund wrote:Fuck the English.
By the way, my second wife was English.