Stella

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Stella

Post by Casual Binger »

I just read a bit on Brutal Hammer rubbishing Stella. While everything it said was no doubt true, I feel I have to stand up for Stella as it was in the 90s. It was my go to beer when I lived in London for a year in the mid 90s. I drank Kronenberg and Red Stripe too (and sometimes Tennants Super), but Stella was my fallback. £1.19 was a pretty standard price for a 500ml can. You could pay up to £1.50 in a train station. The best price I paid for it was 79p, down in Stockwell. The Turkish off licence we lived above did it for 99p, if I remember correctly. Picking up three tall cans on the way home from work was my weekday routine in those days. Many was the sunny Sunday afternoon spent in a park drinking Stella and smoking hash to get over an Ecstasy hangover. Haven't drunk it for years. They brew it in Australia and NZ now. It's not 5.2% anymore and comes in a bottle. Just not the same. But still, I've had some good times with Stella and it'll always have a place in my heart.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Stella

Post by mistah willies »

I've always held certain beverages close in my memories.
For me:

Mickey's Big Mouth green glass handgrenade bottles really got a youth properly loaded.

Lost my innocence with a raven-headed lass with blue eyes: Friggin Michelob in that certain brown bottle that used to exist.

Grolsh with the stopper and metal cage thing: chugging might end up with a bloody nose.

Hold these memories close, and go back to them. Sometimes, however, trying to relive nostalgia ends up in regret.

Ahhh, fackit.

DRINK! what the hell you want to. Fuck opinions.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Stella uses rice to beef up the sweetness of its flavor and alc.%. Let's not get sentimental over a corporate brew co-opted to go down your gullet. But if that's all there is, let's suck it down with gusto!
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Don`t know Stella.
1,19 is kinda steep, even worse considering we`re talking 90s here.
London prices I guess.
mistah willies wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:17 pm
I've always held certain beverages close in my memories.
Faxe from denmark:

Filled in gasoline-tanks of 40 wheelers.

Drink it fast, it doesn`t sparkle that much to begin with

I just noticed btw: how come every bum-brew has to put "Extra" or "Premium" etc on the label?
We drunks know it`s the cheapest shit, that`s what we are here for! Who else exactly are you trying selling it to?
Drink!

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Yeah, Stella of the 90's was better than now. 5.2% as opposed to 4.8% now. Used to get it in cans with the name embossed into the can too.

Remember getting some of those 1 ltr Faxe cans too on a school trip to Berlin! Good times.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:35 am
Don`t know Stella.
1,19 is kinda steep, even worse considering we`re talking 90s here.
London prices I guess.
Indeed. "Reassuringly Expensive" was the Stella Artois' advertising slogan at the time. We thought it was classy. And it was. Classier than Carling Black Label, Fosters or Budwieser, which is what Lads were drinking in those days around our way.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I lived in Belgium for @7yrs...Stella is known locally as "the Belgian beer that Belgians don't drink."

Mostly, it's exported.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Not about Stella but i remember with fondness Genesee products from my childhood. Scream ale and Genny light. Went back to these recently for economic reasons. Less that 14 ?US for a thirty rack
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Stella. Wifey lieks to drink it. You know, they make quite a show about it here in these Untied States.

Big ole blade to cut the head off form the special glass with the gold rim job. What's wrong with head? I says to her. She just smiles.

However, please do not click on this link. We are here to support drinking, not make fun of folks who drink. Yeah right. What's the fun in that?

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

mistah willies wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm
Stella. Wifey lieks to drink it. You know, they make quite a show about it here in these Untied States.
Indeed. Something of a gourmet brew in Aus - wedding material, despite the fact that its enjoyed by many a pikey from what I gather in the UK. I don't really buy into the incongruity, but Australia is great at rebranding budget booze. Where else in the world does a rack of PBR cost you $55?

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

gede wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:14 am
mistah willies wrote:
Indeed. Something of a gourmet brew in Aus - wedding material, despite the fact that its enjoyed by many a pikey from what I gather in the UK. I don't really buy into the incongruity, but Australia is great at rebranding budget booze. Where else in the world does a rack of PBR cost you $55?

You know, gede, PBR was stolen by hipsters and Russians, which is a phrase I never thought I'd use. Mostly it's nostalgia for some of us in the Untied States. Maybe check out a can, just to see whta al the hoopla was supposed to be about. But PBR was always a blue collared worker's beverage. $55 for a rack is a Russian Hipster. Frig that, my good man.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

mistah willies wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:35 pm
gede wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:14 am
mistah willies wrote:

You know, gede, PBR was stolen by hipsters and Russians, which is a phrase I never thought I'd use. Mostly it's nostalgia for some of us in the Untied States. Maybe check out a can, just to see whta al the hoopla was supposed to be about. But PBR was always a blue collared worker's beverage. $55 for a rack is a Russian Hipster. Frig that, my good man.
We are talking the collapse of the Australian Dollar. This insane price you are paying is only inflation and currency manipulation by your banks. What is the price of Fosters? That should be a domestic beer you can consume at nominal prices unless of course the AUD is nearly worthless. This is the race to the bottom of the global currency/trade wars soon to be hot wars. It's time to stock up and get ready to kiss your ass goodbye!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

buy ammo now! the currency of the new world. Got guns? got ammo? then you have all you need to take what you want from those that don't!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

New currency: The bag of beans*

*it`s so worthy whole africa and half of asia are begging to have it
Drink!