The Full Circle

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

The Full Circle

Post by Rooster »

When I first came to MDM, I was living in San Francisco and there was two really distinct "crews." One from Denver; one from Upstate New York. Sure, you had the California folks that found themselves and bound together, eventually... and some others that were scattered; but, the Rochester gang and the Denver gang were two tightly knit circles.

Over the years, everyone (it seems) moved out of Rochester, while the Denver folks were always sort of amorphous. Lots of characters moving in and out, with a few stalwarts that are still here.

I'm coming up to the end of my first career, and my ol' lady suggested that we move from this backwoods swamp to the land of her forefathers: Upstate New York. She also insisted that I live out my mid-life crisis in the next few years, by going to college there. I immediately thought of Oggar, Liz, and Mayhem. I think some others were also from there, but I'm 2/3 through a six-pack of Hoppyums and this train isn't stopping until I also kill what's left of my ol' lady's 18-pack of Coors Light.

Anyhow, I visited upstate last year for a campus tour and drank the hotel bar out of both Saranac and Labatt's Blue. It's a beautiful place. I also understand why people drink so much there. I don't know how many Drunkards are left in the region; but, the region is about to get one after so many left. I hope to raise one with you, soon!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: The Full Circle

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Yes, the Rochester tales and characters are legendary. Keep the flame burning.
Cheers Rooster!
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Keep the NY fires burning. Always wanted to get up that way. Played paintball at a field up in PA about 10 minutes south of the NY line. It was a helluva time. Like 2 nights of drinking with an intermission during the day to play paintball. Nothing like hungover running around the woods and puking in your mask to let you know you're alive.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Never got to The Old Toad in Rochester while Mayhem was still with us. May have to make the pilgrimage sooner than later. Keep on carrying the fire, Rooster. I pour a breakfast shot of bourbon and raise it in your Upstate direction.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

I'm going to be a stone's-throw away in Syracuse; but, I told the ol' lady I've got to go to Rochester for a garbage plate. She doesn't know about the Old Toad.

Everyone I talked to in the 'Cuse was an alcoholic. All of the snow, I suppose. Great jobs in the area, though!

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

I've been here two months and can confirm that everyone I meet is an alcoholic.

The Wegman's near me has an aisle of just Upstate New York beer. There's like four or five breweries in the city, not including the really small taverns that brew their own. It's been unseasonably hot here, and there's always four or five people elbow-to-elbow in that section. It hasn't started snowing yet, obviously, but I was told that the first step to having a home-bar is to start stockpiling beer and liquor in the basement. Then... just add little things to it over time. Then figure out how to put a pool table down there without your wife finding out.

I also crossed paths with an MDMer, but they don't have anything to do with the forums.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Seems NY is treating you well enough. Cheers!!

With ScreamAle and you up that way I really do need to get up there fore some R & R. Read that as drinking in the woods around a campfire.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Planning on a Finger Lakes region vacay next summer. WE blew through this summer looking for new places to visit. Like 70 wineries alone on one of the lakes. Gonna be a long 10 days. Patchez and Scream and Rooster are welcome to join. Drunking and canoeing? Rope swing into unknown waters? All while staying as unsober as possible.

Cheers!

Good to see the Chester treating you well. Stocking up for storms is very important.
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

I'm up in Syracuse and haven't made it down that way yet. We're still busy unpacking.

I couldn't believe how many small beer companies there are up here. I mean, we had some in Norf Cackalacky, but they sucked. The places here brew legitimately good beer.

I still won't drink Genny Cream Ale, though. I've experienced the Genny-Screamers, and once is enough for me.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Also, I should note for anyone who has a kid that wants them to study instead of partying: Syracuse University is ranked #4 by the Princeton Review for party schools. It was #1 in 2014 and has been in the top-10 for the past 7 years. Let's see if I've got a little of the ol' Sweet Lou magic left in these old bones.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Rooster wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm
I'm up in Syracuse and haven't made it down that way yet. We're still busy unpacking.

I couldn't believe how many small beer companies there are up here. I mean, we had some in Norf Cackalacky, but they sucked. The places here brew legitimately good beer.

I still won't drink Genny Cream Ale, though. I've experienced the Genny-Screamers, and once is enough for me.
Say what you will about the cream ale, the 12 horse produced a far worse gastro intestinal atrocity. Not that I'm knocking 12 horse I love it. Ever come across any Genesee black? Or for that matter any NY beers catch your interest?

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

I haven't seen Genny Black, but I haven't been looking for it. The Wegman's in Baldwinsville may have had it in their walk-in... as they had a rack full of their stuff *Edit* The Speedway near my house has it *Edit*.

I like the Buried Acorn beer, but I don't know that you'll find it too far outside of Syracuse. Middle Ages brewing is decent, but I don't like their IPA.
Ithaca's Flower Power is pretty good.
The Lake Placid Big Slide IPA is different, but I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Barrier Brewing in Oceanside sells pint cans of stuff. I picked up their Money IPA and it's probably my favorite splurge purchase if I'm not going easy with Blue Light.
I like the Saranac Sampler. Especially their Session IPA. I'd say it's probably going to replace Founders as my go-to next summer.
Ommegang is probably going to replace Duvel and Chimay as my big-bottle/big-beer choice for celebrations.

It's not a New York-beer, but we're close enough to French-Canada that Unibroue is in the grocery stores. I was happy to see/have sampled some of their newer stuff outside of Fin-du-Monde, Maudite, and Trois Pistoles.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Rooster wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 pm
I haven't seen Genny Black, but I haven't been looking for it. The Wegman's in Baldwinsville may have had it in their walk-in... as they had a rack full of their stuff *Edit* The Speedway near my house has it *Edit*.

I like the Buried Acorn beer, but I don't know that you'll find it too far outside of Syracuse. Middle Ages brewing is decent, but I don't like their IPA.
Ithaca's Flower Power is pretty good.
The Lake Placid Big Slide IPA is different, but I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Barrier Brewing in Oceanside sells pint cans of stuff. I picked up their Money IPA and it's probably my favorite splurge purchase if I'm not going easy with Blue Light.
I like the Saranac Sampler. Especially their Session IPA. I'd say it's probably going to replace Founders as my go-to next summer.
Ommegang is probably going to replace Duvel and Chimay as my big-bottle/big-beer choice for celebrations.

It's not a New York-beer, but we're close enough to French-Canada that Unibroue is in the grocery stores. I was happy to see/have sampled some of their newer stuff outside of Fin-du-Monde, Maudite, and Trois Pistoles.
I haven't thought of Middle Ages in ages. I used to like some of their brews. I think they were Dragon slayer and kilt tilter.
I love Founders stuff. Really miss their imperial stout, didn't see it on their site anymore. Or in stores.

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

One of the best nights I can’t remember started w/ Tony in the Old Toad and ended w/ him in the Rochester ER and me in a heap on the floor of my hotel room.

We took photos. There may have been karaoke. But the footage has never seen the light of day as his camera got lost at some point during the evening.

I miss that magnificent bastard. And Rochester.

Cheers,

-Surreal
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss