Winter Beers

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Chupacabras
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Chupacabras »

I've got one these waiting for me that a buddy picked up from the brewery. The owner told him that it should wait 'til Christmas to be cracked... it took a lot of willpower...

Raoul_Duke
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Cowboy Joe wrote:
I admit, I like Miller beers, but the point of origin is tough for me. No offense to fellow yankee drunks or Packer's fans, but it hurts me to think of anything good coming from Wisconsin.....
Bad experiences in my state aside, I challenge you to spend an afternoon at Capital Brewery's biergarten and NOT have a great time. That location would be in Madison, capital of Wisconsin. That's cool though, I don't like Portland, Oregon because of some episode of that popular new television show I watched once. Yeah, bad memories and shit.

To the winter beers: I love them. I have thoroughly enjoyed Young's Winter Warmer (good call, Mayhem) and SN Celebration recently. I have a Breckenridge Christmas Ale, a couple Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ales, a couple Sam Adams Holiday Porters, and a Red Hook Winter Hook ale.

My absolute favorite winter beer is Avery Old Jubilation. Amazing, tasty stuff.
"Rid the mind of knowledge when looking for pleasure.
Or start thinking and find a lot of pain."
---J. P. Donleavy

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

Someone gave me a YuleSmith Holiday ale on xmas. Tasty.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Winter Beers

Post by scream ale »

Got any favorite winter brews?

I tend to go for Bell's Expedition Stout, Smuttynose Robust Porter and Southern Tier Old Man Winter Ale.
Or whatever dark beer with plenty of alcohol that I come across.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Favorite winter beers?

Post by Badfellow »

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale is one of my favorite beers, regardless of the season. $20 per 4 pack and worth every penny.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

I'll second the Bell's Expedition Stout - excellent brew. I also like Founders Porter and Oscar Blues Ten-Fidy if I can find it. I was just at the store eyeing up a bottle of Surly Darkness, $20 for a bottle though so I have to think about that one for a day or so.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

drunkin' Wisconsinite wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I was just at the store eyeing up a bottle of Surly Darkness, $20 for a bottle though so I have to think about that one for a day or so.
Unless you're into bitterness overload, Surly beers are eminently NOT worth the price. In my humble opinion. You're hard earned creds are much better flushed down the booze funnel with something like Delerium Noel. Or better yet, wait until January when all those well keeping winter ales go on sale!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I'll second the Bell's Expedition Stout - excellent brew. I also like Founders Porter and Oscar Blues Ten-Fidy if I can find it. I was just at the store eyeing up a bottle of Surly Darkness, $20 for a bottle though so I have to think about that one for a day or so.
Ah I forgot about the ten-fidy, it pops up around here randomly. Always a treat when it makes an appearance.
Founder's porter is a good brew as well, most of what they make is pretty awesome. My better half recently found a bottle of their CBS and we are saving that for something special which I hope is sometime soon cause I wanna try it. Badly.

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

I concur on the Founders brews, some of the best all around beers out there and for the most part priced appropriately. Funny you mention the CBS, I picked up a bottle last night to save for Christmas drinking - I had some last year and it was outstanding, one of the best barrel aged beers I have ever had. It's worth the high price tag.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Barley wine's are my favorite. Flying Dog carries a good one.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Welcome Rye and Coke,

Maybe you introduce yourself in this thread shortly

Truth be told, I had to google both of your choices.

But I`m german and drink vodka all season long
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 am
I concur on the Founders brews, some of the best all around beers out there and for the most part priced appropriately. Funny you mention the CBS, I picked up a bottle last night to save for Christmas drinking - I had some last year and it was outstanding, one of the best barrel aged beers I have ever had. It's worth the high price tag.
I definitely missed out on the CBS last year. Can't wait crack the bottle. I did however try the KBS earlier this year. It's a top notch brew. Still have half the four pack.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm
I haven't even thought of barley wines in ages. May be worth trying again, although I remember not being a big fan of 'em.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm
I love Flying Dog. My favorite winter beers from them are the K-9 winter warmer and Kujo Coffee Porter. Plus they are only an hour and half away from me.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

So Winter means you drink dark and murky brews as opposed to light and clear concoctions in the Spring. I live in one season and it's called fucked up. Whatever gets you through the season. Imagine a cold beer on a cold night. I can...
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.