All in the Family

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

All in the Family

Post by RIPT2.0 »

What are you supposed to do when your 84 year old Dad drinks too much? He makes screwdrivers so strong you can smell the alcohol from 5 ft away. He got so drunk on two of these mega drinks Thursday that my 88 year Mom and I had to lift him out of his chair so he could walk to the dinner table.

Meanwhile, my 88 yr old Mom is drinking whiskey in the kitchen because Dad stresses her out.

Ah, the good old days when Dad could drop 3-4 Manhattans before dinner and still walk by himself.
Last edited by RIPT2.0 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: All in the Family

Post by Hugh »

My 60-something mom would get so drunk on gin n juice she would light up a cigarette. If you think that isn't a big deal, consider she was tethered by a plastic hose from her nose to an oxygen tank.

Oldsters may fall down, they may blow their homes up, but just let them drink whatever they want. My mom died young at 69, and I never once regretted not putting a stop to her drinking and smoking. It's what made her happy.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Dad was stumbling drunk yesterday celebrating mom`s birthday. He looks for reasons to get more drunk than the usual. He earned it I guess
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Tried to talk Mom into watering down Dad's vodka so he doesn't get so plastered but I doubt she'll do it.

He falls down all the time, even when he isn't drunk, but when he is drunk, which he is by 5 pm most days, he falls down even more often. Not good when you're 84 and not good for my Mom to have to deal with. They live too far away from me, so I can't be there to help them. Fortunately, they have neighbors who are home most of the time. They've had to help Dad to his feet many times.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

^^^ Totally not looking forward to that, both are 75 but still move quite well.
Mom recently fell flat on her face, stumbling drunk they say. Her face was dark blue and swollen like a basketball
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 am
Mom recently fell flat on her face, stumbling drunk they say. Her face was dark blue and swollen like a basketball
That's actually happened to my Mom a few times too. First time she was undrunk and tripped on a rug in a convenience store. Second time was at night, so she may have been tipsy. She fell in the garage trying to put something away. Both times she looked like somebody beat the shit out of her But they refuse to move into an assisted living facility, so my hands are tied. My greatest fear is that something serious happens to my Mom while Dad is still alive because he absolutely can not take care of himself. Without my Mom, he'd be dead within a month or less.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Sammy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:48 am
oettinger wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 am
That's actually happened to my Mom a few times too. First time she was undrunk and tripped on a rug in a convenience store. Second time was at night, so she may have been tipsy. She fell in the garage trying to put something away. Both times she looked like somebody beat the shit out of her But they refuse to move into an assisted living facility, so my hands are tied. My greatest fear is that something serious happens to my Mom while Dad is still alive because he absolutely can not take care of himself. Without my Mom, he'd be dead within a month or less.
Sammy.
All kidding aside,

dayam.

ya know.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Don't mean to bring up a sour topic but when you're born into a drunkard family these are issues you have to deal with when you get older. The Irish die young but us Poles don't. We were all born with cast iron livers, for better or worse.

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

my folks hit the box wine pretty hard - Dad got hammered a few weeks ago and was slurring his words. Mom thought he was having a stroke and called the ambulance. Dad got pissed, finally told the EMT that he was drunk. Seems funny to me but it wasn't to the EMT's. I imaging the folks will be getting a bill for that and insurance won't be covering it.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

my dad is in a bad way with the drink.. full liver cirrhosis, docs have told him he'll die if he keeps it up. he still drinks so much everyday that he collapses, smashes his head an shit. He won't take any help. It's hard for a family member but I just keep telling myself it's the life he chose. feel bad for my mum though cause he's a totally different person nowerdays, the liver failure means he can't process the booze so it turns him into a bit of a dick. another shitty part of this is my mrs sees him and just thinks i'm gonna be the same. she hates my drinking now when before she knew my dad well she didn't really care.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 pm
my dad is in a bad way with the drink.. full liver cirrhosis, docs have told him he'll die if he keeps it up. he still drinks so much everyday that he collapses, smashes his head an shit. He won't take any help. It's hard for a family member but I just keep telling myself it's the life he chose. feel bad for my mum though cause he's a totally different person nowerdays, the liver failure means he can't process the booze so it turns him into a bit of a dick. another shitty part of this is my mrs sees him and just thinks i'm gonna be the same. she hates my drinking now when before she knew my dad well she didn't really care.

to give an example of his shitty behaviour nowerdays..his mum died last week and he didn't go to the funeral cause hed have to be undrunk in front of his sisters....i mean i love a drink but i'd go dry for a few hours if it meant i couln't go to my mums funeral otherwise..
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:03 pm
benitobeast69 wrote:

to give an example of his shitty behaviour nowerdays..his mum died last week and he didn't go to the funeral cause hed have to be undrunk in front of his sisters....i mean i love a drink but i'd go dry for a few hours if it meant i couln't go to my mums funeral otherwise..
Sounds like fun. The dead russian ex GF had a rotten liver too, but it made her fall asleep fast and often atleast
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

benitobeast69 wrote:

My Dad has never been diagnosed with cirohosis. But the Dr's told him 20 years ago that he had a fatty liver and was one step away from cirrhosis. Yet here he is, still alive at 84. I'm sure a weak liver is part of the reason he gets smashed so easy these days but he's also diabetic and that doesn't help. He probably wouldn't fall down so much but he has bad arthritis and a screwed up back that is so bad the surgeons told him there's nothing more that they can do for him. The booze eases the pain and I can relate to that. I have really bad knees and general arthritis too and drinking definitely eases the pain. At least the liver is the only organ in the body that can regenerate itself. If you look at it that way, I'm probably on my third one! Plus, I do take milk thistle twice a day.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

It`s easier to look for the body parts that ain`t broken.
Drink!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Sammy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:37 pm
benitobeast69 wrote:

My Dad has never been diagnosed with cirohosis. But the Dr's told him 20 years ago that he had a fatty liver and was one step away from cirrhosis. Yet here he is, still alive at 84. I'm sure a weak liver is part of the reason he gets smashed so easy these days but he's also diabetic and that doesn't help. He probably wouldn't fall down so much but he has bad arthritis and a screwed up back that is so bad the surgeons told him there's nothing more that they can do for him. The booze eases the pain and I can relate to that. I have really bad knees and general arthritis too and drinking definitely eases the pain. At least the liver is the only organ in the body that can regenerate itself. If you look at it that way, I'm probably on my third one! Plus, I do take milk thistle twice a day.
[/quote

sounds exactly the same as my dad. he has the bad back as well and COPD from smoking cigars all his life. and thank fuck for regenerating livers hahah