Gulf Shores, Alabama Recommendations

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Brother Bluto
Booze Head
Booze Head

Gulf Shores, Alabama Recommendations

Post by Brother Bluto »

I'll have the whole fam damily down in the Gulf Shores area in the next few weeks. I think my very first posts on this board was looking for places in Cleveland, and I wasn't disappointed. Mr. Hooples was a win.

Hoping to get some good ideas for this trip, too. Big Beach Brewing is already a possibility. Any other good bars, Packy's, or restaurants I should check out?

cheers

-Bluto

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Gulf Shores, Alabama Recommendations

Post by Patchez »

I was stationed in Biloxi MS just down the road but that was 30 + years ago. So none of those joints will likely be there but 2 were memorable.

The Cinema Tavern, a bar with three or four movie theaters in them. Low tables and cushy chairs. Served beer and cocktails along with standard bar munchies. A very civilized way to watch a movie.

The other was the Upstairs Downstairs. Shitkicker country bar on the ground floor and a rock 'n' roll/metal bar in the basement. Or vice Versa. This is if I recall correctly. Alot of hazy nights there as a young airman. Could have been the ground floor and a second floor. Cheap booze and easy to find a bit of good natured parking lot brawls as the two groups of folks going to both places got along so well.
Last edited by Patchez on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Holy shit. Cinema Tavern may still exist. Nope. Changed hands and names Silver Screen Theater. Further research showed it came back after Katrina but went under in 2008. Still '83 till '08 was a helluva run.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Double Holy Shit! This one made it till 2010. Now it looks like a big ass warehouse went in. I would have thought both these places would have folded in a few years. The hurricanes tend to make for quick turnovers on bussiness down there.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Patchez wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:09 am

The other was the Upstairs Downstairs. Shitkicker country bar on the ground floor and a rock 'n' roll/metal bar in the basement. Or vice Versa. This is if I recall correctly. Alot of hazy nights there as a young airman. Could have been the ground floor and a second floor. Cheap booze and easy to find a bit of good natured parking lot brawls as the two groups of folks going to both places got along so well.
Sounds like quite the place. Rednecks and metal heads getting shit faced under the same roof. Must've been interesting. Hank Williams upstairs, Slayer downstairs, and booze everywhere.