The panic has begun ladies and gentleman, time to stock up!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: The panic has begun ladies and gentleman, time to stock up!

Post by oettinger »

Before he turned into optimus prime

Edit I liked Michael before he was dead btw
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:52 pm
The San Diego sheriff held a press conference today and said that the health orders are no longer voluntary and he will start issuing citations and jail time to violators. Grocery store workers are now required to wear masks and gloves as of midnight tomorrow. One of the unions gave a statement that said something like, "We are looking forward to the county's assistance in facilitating this new order," effectively telling them that the government is buying the masks and gloves because we ain't. The new health order also says that San Diegans are strongly encouraged to wear masks when outside. I have no intention of doing that right now, although I do have a box of surgical masks on order should the order become mandatory.

I go out once or twice a day, once to get a take out meal, and then another trip to the liquor store if necessary. If I'm stopped by cops while out and about, I'll cooperate with their questions, but I ain't wearing a mask until they threaten me with legal action. Up until all this coronavirus shit started, the CDC used to say that masks are not helpful to healthy individuals in disease prevention. So what the fuck changed here?
And it started today - they ticketed people for watching the sunset and having picnics: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local ... I4XUiBupm4

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Let that be a lesson to you.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

greygoose1
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by greygoose1 »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:52 pm
The San Diego sheriff held a press conference today and said that the health orders are no longer voluntary and he will start issuing citations and jail time to violators. Grocery store workers are now required to wear masks and gloves as of midnight tomorrow. One of the unions gave a statement that said something like, "We are looking forward to the county's assistance in facilitating this new order," effectively telling them that the government is buying the masks and gloves because we ain't. The new health order also says that San Diegans are strongly encouraged to wear masks when outside. I have no intention of doing that right now, although I do have a box of surgical masks on order should the order become mandatory.

I go out once or twice a day, once to get a take out meal, and then another trip to the liquor store if necessary. If I'm stopped by cops while out and about, I'll cooperate with their questions, but I ain't wearing a mask until they threaten me with legal action. Up until all this coronavirus shit started, the CDC used to say that masks are not helpful to healthy individuals in disease prevention. So what the fuck changed here?
If you've got masks, wear them anywhere you're going to be around people. Then take it off when you get home. If you don't, you're just stupid. I work in IT at a hospital, so I'm deemed ' essential'. Every day when I go into work, I get temperature-tested, and then get temperature-tested again mid-day, and then when I leave for the the day. One of our directors had an employee test positive and now the entire department is isolating and working from home. I guess my point is - this is fucking serious. Heed this, or hope that San Diego has enough ventilators and respiratory therapists to monitor them.

Fortunately, our governor (Indiana) has deemed liquor stores 'essential'. Every time I go into one, which is often, I hear the 'clang clang' of handles and fifths bouncing off of each other in shopping carts as their drunkard pilot steers down the aisles. In normal times, I'd raise a glass to them but these......these just aren't normal times. And I can't blame them 1 damn bit for their clanking buying habits. Our governor does daily briefings and has various agency directors available to answer press questions. The head of department of transportation stated that traffic was down by 41%. Then a press person asked something to the effect of "the statistics on alcohol purchases are up 55% over the last month. Are you worried about people dealing with the crisis with alcohol?' The governor deferred to the Director of the Department of Health, who hemmed/hawed and kind of answered the question by saying essentially "oh fucking well, if that's what gets you through this, have at it" and then threw in some shit about online AA meetings and such. All I can say is that, I'm making it my personal goal to be that 1 handle that pushes Indiana up to the 56% mark.

Slainte,
Goose
"...there's no app for a bourbon buzz on a warm day in a cool, dark bar. The world will always want a drink".
~Gillian Flynn

'Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right'
~Isaac Asimov

A person can work up a mean, mean thirst
after a hard day of doing nothing much at all...
~The Replacements

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

This is probably the only time in recent history I'll be able to get away with wearing an M-85 gas mask to the liquor store. Talking like Darth Vader optional.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I had to go to three different stores to get semi-stocked up on groceries. Cranberry juice here, frozen dinners and lunch meat there, bread at still another place.

When I was at the liquor store a young homeless guy was in line to buy a cigarette lighter. He goes up to the counter and says, "I need a cigarette lighter for a dollar." I thought he as demanding his own price, but there's a display of disposable lighters for a dollar. As he handed the dollar bill over he said something unintelligible except for the last word which was "coronavirus" and then he dashed out the door quickly. The owner sprayed his dollar bill with alcohol as we looked at each other shaking our heads in disbelief.

Probably about 90% of the people out there are wearing masks. Mine still haven't arrived. At work next week management is making it mandatory to wear them while we are working even though we are in a warehouse that doesn't serve the public. But the thing is, they couldn't get their hands on enough disposable masks. They are going to make us wear beard nets as a face covering. I kid you not.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

One of our local news stations reported yesterday that 5 bus drivers had tested positive for covid19. It gave the dates and routes they were on. Then today they posted a news article saying only one driver has tested positive. I only noticed it because someone on Facebook noticed it and posted it on today's story. The news station isn't responding to the post by the Facebook user. I read both articles, and they do indeed contradict each other. The articles even used the same stock footage for a picture of a bus.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

At least one store had asswipe and paper towels with seemingly no limits. People seemed to be engaging in only very strange forms of panic shopping. For example parmesan cheese. Some guy had the front part of the basket, where some people stick their kids, full of parm. And not the regular ones, the family size shakers. Fuckin weirdos out there.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

There has been an icecream truck parked outside on the hiking trail for days now. He`s making good money, germans don`t care about lockdowns
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

There have been some stories going around about the meat supply chain being interrupted in the USA, but the meat section looked stocked up at my local grocery store in San Diego. However, there was some old hag standing forever in front of the steaks and I lost my patience waiting for her to move. I just reached around her and grabbed a steak. It was a $17.10 cut. Bah.

This was the first time I've seen Kraft mac and cheese, but even then they didn't have the 3-packs that I usually get. So I bought 3 individual boxes.

The Walgreens is still out of toilet paper! Damb!

The steak was good. But I've got bits of meat stuck between my teeth and brushing isn't removing it all.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ those little flosser things work wonders.

The meat department at the store nearest to me has been picked over lately. Today they were completely out of ground beef. I did manage to get some hot Italian sausage.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

scream ale wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:14 pm
^^^ those little flosser things work wonders.

The meat department at the store nearest to me has been picked over lately. Today they were completely out of ground beef. I did manage to get some hot Italian sausage.
We don't lack for meat here in TX. Feral pigs are all over the place and if you've got dogs, or know somebody with dogs, you will always eat.

This isn't pretty if you're squeamish but it's a riot if you're a hunter. Git 'em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftbeWMp6JDU

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Good news is, when you pass out on your couch you can`t contract covid 19 or any other STDs
Drink!