The panic has begun ladies and gentleman, time to stock up!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Re: The panic has begun ladies and gentleman, time to stock up!

Post by Rye and Coke »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:28 pm

"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Graham Stephenson
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Graham Stephenson »

All of the bars are closed here in San Jose, CA. Restaurants are closed to diners, but open for take-out.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Graham Stephenson wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:49 pm
All of the bars are closed here in San Jose, CA. Restaurants are closed to diners, but open for take-out.
You're uh...you're a pretty even keel dude, huh?
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

A long long time ago
I can still remember how that green beer used to make me smile
And I knew if we drank a drink
And toasted and made glasses clink
Everyone would be happy for a while

But COVID 19 scared the masses
Bars were closed to lads and lasses
Bad news on TV
I can’t believe what I did see
I remember clearly that I cried
When I learned of the CDC’s guide
When it came to bars, we were locked outside
The day St Patrick’s Day died

So
Bye, Bye St. Patrick’s Day died
Drove my FJ to the bars, but the bars they were dry,
No good old boys drinking Guinness or Rye
Singin’ this when St. Patrick’s Day died
This when St. Patrick’s Day died

Dr. Redfield the CDC director,
Told us all to self shelter
Until this thing surely passed
So I sat home on my ass,
With a bottle and a glass
With my children who stayed home from class

In this time of pending doom,
Someone played an Irish tune,
We all got up to dance,
Oh, but we never got the chance
Grocery stores became a battlefield
Redfield he refused to yield
Do you recall what was the feel
The day St. Patrick’s Day died?
DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Thanks, DB. You're a regular Don fuckin' McLean.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Some dick in a Range Rover very nearly mowed down an older woman and a teenage girl in the crosswalk at the grocery store this morning, not to mention me and three other pedestrians.

Something snapped. I chased the fucker down on foot about 200-300 feet to where he was stuck in parking lot traffic laying on the horn.

"What the fuck? You almost hit someone!"

He didn't roll down the window or even look at me. Just gives me the finger.

My first thought was to grab a landscaping brick from the display in front of Home Depot. Too messy. Too conspicuous. And I'd rather be at home drinking and smoking than in jail. 'Twas a cooler head that prevailed and the more precise application of a pocket folder through the sidewall of his rear tire. Sssssssssssssshithead.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

^ Well done, keeping your cool.

And, all bars and restaurants in Colorado are now closed! Damn.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I had assumed that people would be rushing to get laundry done in anticipation of a lockdown. I was wrong. I was the only one in the laundrymat this morning.

My neighborhood is nearly all bars/restaurants (Hillcrest in San Diego) so nearly everybody that works here is out of a job for now. There is a lot of street parking available now, usually there is none. It's not a ghost town, however - there are two large hospitals with ERs that are keeping busy. Ambulances are still screaming up and down the streets.

I'm assuming that the business association in my neighborhood has suspended security patrols. The homeless are back in droves. The security guards usually shoo them away. There are always a few bums sitting/lying around, but now the large groups are back like it used to be before the business association hired the security company.

Still no toilet paper in the CVS Pharmacy, but the liquor shelves are still stocked. This baffles me - shouldn't people stock up on booze if they thought they would be forced to stay home with their shitty families?

But the most important thing to me right now is the stock market. Idiots are selling stocks more than idiots are buying toilet paper. Some months back I put Alcoa on my buy watch because it, along with the entire metal/mining sector, was making new lows. Since I started watching it, it has dropped from 22 to a low of 5.30 this morning. It's all I can do to keep from just buying. It's like a siren song. Every day I say it can't go any lower. And then it goes lower. Certainly I'll make a fortune when all this craziness ends.

Even if my city does go in to a lockdown, I won't be able to stay home. The execs of Frito Lay convinced the federal government that we are a "vital service" because we are part of the nation's food supply. It makes me wonder though - if I get into my car and attempt to drive to work while National Guard troops are making sure nobody goes outside, how do I convince them I'm on my way to provide a "vital service?"

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Hugh wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm
It makes me wonder though - if I get into my car and attempt to drive to work while National Guard troops are making sure nobody goes outside, how do I convince them I'm on my way to provide a "vital service?"
Keep a few bags of fritos in your car for just such an occassion.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

there was one case of beer left in my local supermarket today...fucking one!!! I I bought a shit load of bourbon off amazon at the start of the week so I'm good to do for a while. I also have a few cases of beer left over at the house. might have to break out my old brewing equipment from the garage at this rate.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Many of our local grocery stores have initiated "senior hours" for people 60 or older. The only problem is they are typically from 6 am to 7:30 am. I'm 60 and I am disabled. I don't even get out of bed until 8 am and I don't even take a shit until 10 am, at the earliest. I'm not getting up at 3 am to go buy fucking groceries.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Malibu Laurie
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Malibu Laurie »

Yesterday I went to the store. Shelves were empty. That was something else, man. We used to only see this shit on the news. I can’t believe I was actually like, there there. No meat, no eggs. Or onions and potatoes. Or produce for that matter. Welp, ya can pretty much hang up getting anything at all so no need to go out anyway. I got mah booze and wine stocked so I am set.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

seems to be getting a bit better here as .they have put strict restrictions on the number of each item you can buy. also went into a local bargin booze today and his store was near as dam it fully stocked.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Apparently, San Diegans are taking the stay at home order seriously. I just went to Peet's for a latte and I was the only one in there. Sometimes on a Friday afternoon there is such a line that I decide to skip the latte. They didn't even have the lids and sleeves out on the counter, the barista applied them herself. She still took 10 1/2 hours to make my latte, though.