Beers to try

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

CrunchyPissCrystals
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Hooray Beer

Post by CrunchyPissCrystals »

I love that Red Stripe Comercial.

Speaking of bere

Do any fo you gyus drink Seirra Nevada?

I picked up some of their summerfest tonight.

not as good as the pale ale (not that it is great but I would say its good.)
"He has all of the virtues that I dislike, and none of the vices that I admire."
-Winston Churchill

fdoosey
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by fdoosey »

Sierra Nevada is great!

I have 2 bottles of 2001 Bigfoot in my "beer cellar" (read: closet) and had one a couple months ago - stellar stuff.

Although I am admittedly partial to Anchor's products. Aw, hell, who am I kidding? I love beer. Period.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

There Pale Ale is one of the best American Pales you can get. Plus they've been brewing alot longer than most micro brews. Sierra's Ales are really a benchmark amongst micro's and their Pale is therir best beer.
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"

fdoosey

Post by fdoosey »

UnkleLemmy wrote:There Pale Ale is one of the best American Pales you can get. Plus they've been brewing alot longer than most micro brews. Sierra's Ales are really a benchmark amongst micro's and their Pale is therir best beer.
You know they're doing something right when so many other micros overhop their otherwise fine beers to replicate the flavor of Sierra Nevada.

A lot of people lay the bad mouth on Sam Adams, but I still think they make pretty good product. Saranac is also pretty tasty stuff - I used to be a huge fan of their black & tan.

So many beers, only one mouth...

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

fdoosey wrote:
UnkleLemmy wrote:There Pale Ale is one of the best American Pales you can get. Plus they've been brewing alot longer than most micro brews. Sierra's Ales are really a benchmark amongst micro's and their Pale is therir best beer.
You know they're doing something right when so many other micros overhop their otherwise fine beers to replicate the flavor of Sierra Nevada.

A lot of people lay the bad mouth on Sam Adams, but I still think they make pretty good product. Saranac is also pretty tasty stuff - I used to be a huge fan of their black & tan.

So many beers, only one mouth...
Saranac Pale Ale is one of the most underated beers on the market. It only costs about 50 cents more a six pack than any mega brew were I live and its definately worth it. Its a great, refreshing pale. Not nearly as hoppy as most American Micro's. Very refreshing.
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"

fdoosey

Post by fdoosey »

Then of course, there's Utica Club...

Sorry Lemmy, I've just heard so many things about it...none good. If it's still made I will have to try it when I get up there.

Saranac has a really wide variety of beers and I have yet to be disappointed.

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Innis&Gunn oak aged beer

Post by thirsty4beer »

this is a delicious beer!

it was originally made to be disgarded. it was first brewed to give oak barrels which were to be used to mature whisky some flavour, then it was to chucked out. somebody tasted it and now they sell it.

i am so glad some drunkard thought he would give the 'throw-away' beer a wee taste!

it tastes a bit dessert-ish.beautiful
mine's a pint

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Damn! All the good cask ale is on the other side of the pond!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Barca

Great Hefeweizen Article

Post by Barca »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/dinin ... ei=5087%0A

I'm surprised they didn't like the Erdinger, but I'm not surprised at all about the Widmer.

Knowing that Harpoon has a Hefeweizen just increases my suffering. I miss that brewery.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Weizzens are my favorite type of beer.

It's been a while since I had Erdinger, but back then I thought it was great. Perhaps theirs was not so fresh. Franzikanner, while quite tasty, never seemed a stand-out to me. I shall have to find some of those domestics taht are favorably reviewed. The space ont he shelves for the German stuff seems to be shrinking.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Hoegaarten, doesn't really fit the classification, but certainly hits the spot. I've had in the Low Countries served in a flat bottomed pilsner type glass with a plastic muddler and a slice of lemon. Although, they don't quite incur the heat and humidity to fully appreciate the relief of a tall, cool glass.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Leftboston
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

I was drinking some erdinger recently and loved it. I like the Widmer as far as american weiss goes. Would love to try the Harpoom product. I prefer the Bavarian weiss over berliner or Belgian styles but Blue Moon white is a tasty beer.

Weiss is a wonderful breakfast beer by the by.

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

junkman wrote:I was drinking some erdinger recently and loved it. I like the Widmer as far as american weiss goes. Would love to try the Harpoom product. I prefer the Bavarian weiss over berliner or Belgian styles but Blue Moon white is a tasty beer.

Weiss is a wonderful breakfast beer by the by.
harpoon and blue moon are certainly good beers, but as far as wheat ales go i've never tasted any better than the dutch aventinus. aweful powerful brew and definately too heavy to drink for any substantiated amount of time but definately incredible when speaking solely of flavor. and also i never understood the lemon in a good wheat ale. it seems to detract from the real flavor, what am i missing everytime i order a wheat ale/ no lemon?
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Post by daphne »

Considering that vodka has gone from potatoes to grain in the years, the fact that beer has "hopped" to wheat successfully has not surprise to me.

Has this person been living in a closet or am I just that open minded?
RIP Frederick and my beloved GatorX
You deserve all the puffery you can get
daph and grip say "bourbony goodness!"
http://daphneszoo.com/

Leftboston
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

Adventinus???

I just spent 2 months in Holland and much more time than that in the past and never heard of that. Usually just see Hoegaarden which is not my cup of beer.

On a side note we swilled some Kasteel Blonde one night and I blacked out after 4 of those fuckers. I was fine and dandy at the cafe' and next thing I know, I'm waking up wityh my clothes on, 2 beautiful Kasteel glasses in my sink and I have no hangover. The beer scooter was very kind that night.