HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

machinehead
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!!

Post by machinehead »

That is a good example of
A snark
Since we obviously did not
Win the Drug war

Spent enough money
On it to buy
A kegerator for every
Man, Woman, or whatever
On Earth

Which in retrospect
Would have been a better deal

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:01 pm
oettinger wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:24 am
NYDingbat wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 am
The beacon of freedom,
Not really, signed by The rest of the world
The teachers and adults that were responsible for my upbringing in the USA taught me, most emphatically, that the USA was the greatest country in the world and, just like NYD said there, a "beacon of freedom." Of course the rest of the world knows that's a bunch of malarkey. And I'm a little confounded on how it is still a widely held belief here. Certainly, a lot of people immigrate to the USA to live and work here, but I don't think it's because the USA has more freedom than the rest of the world. A Mexican living in Tijuana has the freedom to push a food cart out onto a city sidewalk and sell his food. Try that in any American city and an armed law enforcer will shut your ass down. The USA has over 2 million people sitting in jails right now. That's hardly a beacon of freedom.

Over the last few years I've noticed a lot more homeless people in my city, and I've read about increases in homelessness in other cities, too. Whenever it gets discussed, people try to explain it with different reasons. Some people blame laziness, some blame the high cost of housing. It usually depends on the political beliefs of the person offering their two cents. (Nearly everybody says it's caused by mental illness. I don't buy that. People don't understand the difference in mental illness and just being a little weird.) Myself, I think the main reason for so many homeless people in USA is addiction. We're a nation of addicts. Not only is it difficult for an addict to hold down a job, it's nearly impossible to get a job in the first place because a lot of American employers require pre-employment drug screening. Even people who do nothing more than smoke weed can be barred from employment because they can't get by the drug screening.

I've taken two world excursions in my life, both at government expense (thanks US Navy!) and both times I was gladdened to return to the USA. There's no place I'd rather live. But just because we're number 1 in military spending, doesn't mean we're number 1 in the world. Hell, despite getting into war after war after war for decades and spending all that money, we haven't won one since 1945.
Tell that to Saddam in 1991.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

NYDingbat wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:45 pm
Hugh wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:01 pm
oettinger wrote:

The teachers and adults that were responsible for my upbringing in the USA taught me, most emphatically, that the USA was the greatest country in the world and, just like NYD said there, a "beacon of freedom." Of course the rest of the world knows that's a bunch of malarkey. And I'm a little confounded on how it is still a widely held belief here. Certainly, a lot of people immigrate to the USA to live and work here, but I don't think it's because the USA has more freedom than the rest of the world. A Mexican living in Tijuana has the freedom to push a food cart out onto a city sidewalk and sell his food. Try that in any American city and an armed law enforcer will shut your ass down. The USA has over 2 million people sitting in jails right now. That's hardly a beacon of freedom.

Over the last few years I've noticed a lot more homeless people in my city, and I've read about increases in homelessness in other cities, too. Whenever it gets discussed, people try to explain it with different reasons. Some people blame laziness, some blame the high cost of housing. It usually depends on the political beliefs of the person offering their two cents. (Nearly everybody says it's caused by mental illness. I don't buy that. People don't understand the difference in mental illness and just being a little weird.) Myself, I think the main reason for so many homeless people in USA is addiction. We're a nation of addicts. Not only is it difficult for an addict to hold down a job, it's nearly impossible to get a job in the first place because a lot of American employers require pre-employment drug screening. Even people who do nothing more than smoke weed can be barred from employment because they can't get by the drug screening.

I've taken two world excursions in my life, both at government expense (thanks US Navy!) and both times I was gladdened to return to the USA. There's no place I'd rather live. But just because we're number 1 in military spending, doesn't mean we're number 1 in the world. Hell, despite getting into war after war after war for decades and spending all that money, we haven't won one since 1945.
Tell that to Saddam in 1991.
Uh, screening someone for a drug addiction prior to hiring is not a problem. Ya said it yourself, "difficult for an addict to hold down a job". Well fuckin' DUH. I run a company, you're fuckin' a right I'm not gonna hire some damned drug addict. Why don't I just burn the money instead?

Regarding prisoners - ya do get the people there willfully broke the law, right? That is an inspid observation.

Fuck yeah we're #1.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Nobody wants to address the root of the problems at hand. Most people can't even define or agree upon what the problem is, let alone propose a solution to it.

No, shifting blame and levelling accusations are much easier and, in the short term, far more effective. Hardly constructive though infinitely more convenient. And, as we all know, humans are above all creatures of both habit and convenience.

Also, I'm totally for the political banter. But there's an entire fucking section of this forum devoted to it. Just sayin'.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Also #1 for Corona virus. 'murrica #1 in most Corona virus cases in one day! Fck yeah! 'murrica the free...the freedom to not wear masks but also the freedom to spread a rampant infectious virus!

Okole maluna!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

I know i'm late to the party:

How do I mix this canned cheese with this bourbon?
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

'Murrica! F yeah!

Post by Artful Drunktective »

oettinger wrote:
NYDingbat wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 am
The beacon of freedom,

Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:53 am
I know i'm late to the party:

How do I mix this canned cheese with this bourbon?
I'd use a blender set on frappé. Or maybe muddle it a bit and make yourself a cheese old fashioned.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Still number 1?

Saigon. Beirut. Mogadishu. Kabul.

Where's that clip from the Monty Python movie where they are all running away and screaming, "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

American patriotism sounds exhausting....As a Brit the 2 weeks leading up to the World Cup/Euros is enough.

I'm still not positive if it's real or satirical....maybe a mix of both.

You Yankees are fucking good people though I'll give you that.. and you brought the world Bourbon as well..

So god bless MERICA!!!
Last edited by benitobeast69 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Jesus died on the toilet— or maybe it was Elvis— so that we the American people might have to fight for the right to the freedom of the pursuit of happy hour with chicken wings and NASCAR for all. I believe it was the great Ben Franklin who said, "If you want to soar with the eagles, you have to know how to dance with the chickens." Indeed.

benitobeast69 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:17 pm
American patriotism sounds exhausting...
It’s easier to think of patriotism as a consumer commodity rather than a feeling or sentiment. It’s something a person buys into, and when they run out, they simply buy more. Of course, the goods are sometimes shoddy and the onus is on the buyer to know the difference.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I saddens me to hear these things.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie