Barrel Aged Gin

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Barrel Aged Gin

Post by Badfellow »

A good gin is fine and dandy on it's own.

But what happens when you take a batch of gin and age it in an oak barrel for six to eight months? The short answer is that it takes well chosen inspiration from the school of whiskey and transcends into a different class of spirits altogether.

This is not your typical, juniper queen kind of gin either. It sits a pronounced amber color in the glass and smells as mellow as a meadow with little hint of the fiery alcohol within. As with all gin, the flavor is largely dependent on the array of botanicals used in the recipe. But with a barrel aged gin you'll be guaranteed the mellow sweetness and traces of vanilla flavor that come with a bit of patient aging in oak or some other suitable wood.

Not too long ago you had to scour the internet to find a barrel aged gin. Today they are more popular and tend to be the higher quality product of their lot, suitable for both cocktail making as well as enjoying neat from the glass or with a splash of spring water.

Any thoughts? Any favorites? Any pulse?

And if you hate gin or think the concept sounds disgusting, I would politely ask you to shut the fuck up in advance. Thanks.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Barrel Aged Gin

Post by mistah willies »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:25 am

But what happens when you take a batch of gin and age it in an oak barrel for six to eight months? The short answer is that it takes well chosen inspiration from the school of whiskey and transcends into a different class of spirits altogether.

This is not your typical, juniper queen kind of gin either. It sits a pronounced amber color in the glass and smells as mellow as a meadow with little hint of the fiery alcohol within. As with all gin, the flavor is largely dependent on the array of botanicals used in the recipe. But with a barrel aged gin you'll be guaranteed the mellow sweetness and traces of vanilla flavor that come with a bit of patient aging in oak or some other suitable wood.

Not too long ago you had to scour the internet to find a barrel aged gin. Today they are more popular and tend to be the higher quality product of their lot, suitable for both cocktail making as well as enjoying neat from the glass or with a splash of spring water.

And if you hate gin or think the concept sounds disgusting, I would politely ask you to shut the fuck up in advance. Thanks.
This sounds like an interesting pursuit.
You know, I'd lost the enjoyment of gin during a particularly bad game of chess.

Me and Patchez (The Hirsute One) agreed to delve back into gin after Palinka admonished us to do so.

It took manly, hairy resolve to venture.

Also, for me, the lovely NYDingbat sent me several packages of curious bitter tinctures, gin elixirs, a glass Martini stirring pitcher, and Martini glasses.

That is one classy Lady of our board. Never doubt.

Thank ye, nedabe, for your new chart. P would approve, after several hours of Skype discussions, of course.

DRINK!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I like gin, especially in the summer, but I have never heard of barrel aged gin. I'll have to look for it. Do you recommend any particular brand?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Ransom Old Tom Gin is probably my favorite. Light on the juniper, it's a flavor fest of coriander, orange peel and cedar with a very pleasant oak finish reminiscent of bourbon. Makes a great "Gin Manhattan".

Others I would highly recommend include Barr Hill Tom Cat Gin out of Vermont and FEW Barrel Aged Gin from Illinois. Also heard that Beefeater is putting out a special reserve of gins aged in wine and sherry barrels. Should be interesting.

Sadly, you're probably not going to find these at your local candy store. Rather you'll probably have to root around online for it, and when you finally do find a favorite be sure to order a case so you don't have to fuck around too much with keeping a good supply on hand.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

mistah willies wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:49 pm
Badfellow wrote:

This sounds like an interesting pursuit.
You know, I'd lost the enjoyment of gin during a particularly bad game of chess.

Me and Patchez (The Hirsute One) agreed to delve back into gin after Palinka admonished us to do so.

It took manly, hairy resolve to venture.

Also, for me, the lovely NYDingbat sent me several packages of curious bitter tinctures, gin elixirs, a glass Martini stirring pitcher, and Martini glasses.

That is one classy Lady of our board. Never doubt.

Thank ye, nedabe, for your new chart. P would approve, after several hours of Skype discussions, of course.

DRINK!

With these new barrel aged ones, it maybe time to put on your adventurous drinking hat again.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Can't imagine what you are drinking. It's either proper British gin or you are just looking for some kicks. Hope you find them.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Lush City wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 pm
Can't imagine what you are drinking. It's either proper British gin or you are just looking for some kicks. Hope you find them.
Hey, pal. Get the starch out of your tighty whites and join the barrel aged gin party. You have no idea what you're missing.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Not barrel aged, but Navy strength:

It's got this weird funky after taste that I can't place. I don't dislike it, but it's different. Whatever the case, it's hot as all hell at 114 proof. It raised Nausea's eyebrow and that says something.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Oh man, that's 103pf.! That stuff could start a fire!
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

In the Drunkard colonies, the term Navy strength when applied to gin doesn't really mean anything specifically other than "strong as fuck and not ashamed of the fact".

When you're looking at the prospects of an unexplored gin, it helps to have an idea before hand what sort of botanicals are being put on display. There are many more hundreds of species of flora beyond the familiar juniper. Herbs, flowers, roots, fruits and vegetables are all fair game.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Went to the liquor store today and asked the Owner if he had ever heard of Barrel Aged Gin. He had not, which was pretty surprising since he is usually up on the trends.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:15 am
In the Drunkard colonies, the term Navy strength when applied to gin doesn't really mean anything specifically other than "strong as fuck and not ashamed of the fact".

When you're looking at the prospects of an unexplored gin, it helps to have an idea before hand what sort of botanicals are being put on display. There are many more hundreds of species of flora beyond the familiar juniper. Herbs, flowers, roots, fruits and vegetables are all fair game.
Exactly! How about an ayuhuasca martini? Let's get cooking! That's Mimosa hostilus root bark which is high in DMT being leached out to make the brew. We be flying high and crashing and burning on an alien planet guaranteed! What fun!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

^^^Hahaha, Lush that`S utterly hilarious
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Badfellow wrote:

Whatever, this is not proper British gin.