Sauced in Space

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Sauced in Space

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

A few drunken skypes ago a conversation had happened about drinking in space. I didn’t know the answer or any details about this so I have decided to do a basic amount of research and share my findings with my fellow drunks.

NASA seems to not like the idea of drinking in space. I understand that the first NASA astronaut to drink in space was Buzz Aldrin who drank some wine for his communion. There was a discussion to have alcohol sent to Skylab but it appears this was stopped due to the optics of astronauts drinking on government property.

The Soviet Space Program was much more relaxed on this topic. Sending cosmonauts into space with bottles of Cognac since 1984. Though more than a few cosmonauts have discussed the details of losing enough weight to fit some booze into their spacesuits as well as booze hidden in book covers. According to one article turning a blind eye to alcohol consumption was seen as a positive thing to keep tension low and morale up.

On the MIR space station, they were allowed to drink cognac, vodka, and "ginseng liqueur". In spite of this, they also hid further bottles of cognac behind the panels on the space station. I gather from the comments of cosmonaut Georgy Grechko that they also attempted to drink beer as he talked about the challenges in space stating the liquid and air would mix to form froth.

It appears the International Space Station is a dry place, but I hope to think a few of these astronauts/cosmonauts have smuggled some booze up like their predecessors did.

Sources in case anyone is interested in knowing more:
https://www.nbcnews.com/sciencemain/alc ... 6C10403671
https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-plane ... 180973876/
https://www.businessinsider.com/alcohol ... ?r=US&IR=T
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_spaceflight
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Sauced in Space

Post by Nausea »

This has the potential to become a full-blown MDM article!
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Damnit, I always dreamed of being drunk and weightless, just floating away while floating away....
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

I've got a big hard on for this topic. I've been awake hugging my alcohol and shaking "Why Cognac? They're fucking Russian. How do they get cognac?"

I've found the answer Drunkards! The "Cognac" is Armenian. I understand that Ararat was advertised as "Cognac" in the Soviet Union.

The below article is actually very good. My favorite bit: "When we opened it, we saw cognac! We calculated that each day before bed we could each drink 8.5 grams, but we managed to drink only half of the flask. We just weren't able to drink the rest. Liquid has the same zero weight as air, which is why it doesn't spill out. And if it’s squeezed out, it just mixes with the air into froth. That’s why we had to leave half of the flask where we found it."

"We were amazed when the next cosmonauts returned to Earth and told us they had finished the cognac! How? They had devised a method – one cosmonaut floated to the ceiling and grasped the flask with his teeth and the second hit him on the head. The first descended and the liquid by nature of inertia spilled into his mouth. Then they changed places."

Source: https://www.rbth.com/science_and_tech/2 ... ace_740566
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Keg stands are fun and all, but then you simply must get upright, quickly.

That's why funnels/beer bongs are better.

Either way, spray the crowd!

If you can't burp from beer in outer space, then what's the pint?

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:25 pm

"We were amazed when the next cosmonauts returned to Earth and told us they had finished the cognac! How? They had devised a method – one cosmonaut floated to the ceiling and grasped the flask with his teeth and the second hit him on the head. The first descended and the liquid by nature of inertia spilled into his mouth. Then they changed places."[/i]

Source: https://www.rbth.com/science_and_tech/2 ... ace_740566
that's literally the only way i drink cognac.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Ever had Armenian brandy? It tastes like someone filtered kerosene through Stalin's socks.

As for drinking in outer space, you need what is called a zero-g flask. Basically a bladder that holds potable liquids and is secured from dribbling via a suction valve. Carbonated beverages need not apply.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

What about using a straw?
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Or using syringes.

To spray it in your mouth of course
Drink!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Does zero G affect BAC?
interesting
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

In space, no one can hear me drinking all your booze.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:38 am
Does zero G affect BAC?
interesting
Also affects the piss quotient quite a bit. Vacuum pee funnels and zero G glory holes. Imagine having a piss boner in zero G and you will start to realize the true horrors that await your urine in the inky voids of outer space.