Liver & other health issues

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Liver Issues

Post by John Barleycorn »

It's important to be proactive about your health. Consult an illegal organ smuggler ASAP about finding you a new liver from overseas when the time comes.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

^^^^
...or you could google step by step procedures to stealing one for yourself if you cant afford blackmarket prices.

A year or two ago I was told that I had high bilarubin and was only years away from cirrocis. I started taking milk thistle, but stopped after only a couple of months. The old lady is trying to get me to get another liver pannel done, but not sure if I want to hear the results. It seems like your fine till you find out that somethings wrong, then once you know everything goes to shit. Mabey its psychological but it still goes to shit. I will probally just do it anyway, Ill post whatever I find out. And for the doctor telling you to quit, he must not know much about alcohol anyway. You never tell a heavy drinker to quit, alcohol is among the very few "drugs" that causes death as a result of withdrawl. I dont think alot of people know that, but a doctor should. Definitly get a second opinion, especially for serious issues.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Booz Hound »

Miklo wrote:^^^^
...or you could google step by step procedures to stealing one for yourself if you cant afford blackmarket prices.
Good advice about the doc. Thanks! (If I can’t afford it I'll rob a organ bank; 1920's mobster style! “Stick ‘em up see! Hand over the livers and nobody gets hurt!”)
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

zfish
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by zfish »

Booz Hound wrote:
zfish wrote:Try milk thistle. I've been taking it for years now and I am always amazed when my Dr. says my liver enzymes are fine as I'm usually hungover when they draw blood.
Thanks I'll look into it, my problem is that i'm ususally drunk when they take my blood. fuckin vampires.

Ha! I remember last May I was scheduled to do a pre-physical blood test. A few days before a good friend of mine rolled into town and we got blinding drunk. So drunk that I did a header trying to leave our last bar stop and hit the pavement, knees first, with shorts on. Some bar patrons were sitting on the front porch and got a big kick out of seeing me trying to stand up as I had smashed my left knee pretty badly. I had to crawl to a telephone pole to pull myself up as my Buddy was already down the road and had not seen me fall.

The next morning I got up and my knee immediately swelled to the size of a soccer ball, so I went to Doc's Office straight away. I had no appointment but I figured fuck it. It's an emergency. He looked at my knee and asked me what happened. I said "I got really drunk and fell down. I'm an idiot." He said, "We'll you're a guy!". I wasn't supposed to come in for the blood draw for another two days but I said "Hey Doc, as long as I'm here, you want to get that blood draw over with?". He just said "No. I think we should wait until you undrunk up" and then sent me off the the Ortho to have my knee x-rayed.

Two days later I did the blood draw, still drinking every day. Results came back fine. I'll die someday but I guess not for a while or at least not from liver disease!
She's got the Jack.

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Booz Hound »

zfish wrote:
Booz Hound wrote:
zfish wrote:Try milk thistle. I've been taking it for years now and I am always amazed when my Dr. says my liver enzymes are fine as I'm usually hungover when they draw blood.
Thanks I'll look into it, my problem is that i'm ususally drunk when they take my blood. fuckin vampires.

Ha! I remember last May I was scheduled to do a pre-physical blood test. A few days before a good friend of mine rolled into town and we got blinding drunk. So drunk that I did a header trying to leave our last bar stop and hit the pavement, knees first, with shorts on. Some bar patrons were sitting on the front porch and got a big kick out of seeing me trying to stand up as I had smashed my left knee pretty badly. I had to crawl to a telephone pole to pull myself up as my Buddy was already down the road and had not seen me fall.

The next morning I got up and my knee immediately swelled to the size of a soccer ball, so I went to Doc's Office straight away. I had no appointment but I figured fuck it. It's an emergency. He looked at my knee and asked me what happened. I said "I got really drunk and fell down. I'm an idiot." He said, "We'll you're a guy!". I wasn't supposed to come in for the blood draw for another two days but I said "Hey Doc, as long as I'm here, you want to get that blood draw over with?". He just said "No. I think we should wait until you undrunk up" and then sent me off the the Ortho to have my knee x-rayed.

Two days later I did the blood draw, still drinking every day. Results came back fine. I'll die someday but I guess not for a while or at least not from liver disease!
Absolutely going to try this stuff, did a similar thing with my hand, even used the idiot excuse too.
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I'd try few weeks undrunk or sorta undrunk, after all you'll have all day to get drunker afterwards.

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

+1 on the MILK THISTLE. BUY IT, TAKE IT.
Available at Wally World, or any other place that sells vitamins and herbal supplements.

I've been taking it for years. You might also want to add (and by this I mean go out and buy) a super B complex and a magnesium supplement.

Cheers, and you're welcome.
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Issues? You think you got issues?

Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Issues? You think you got issues?

Rothbury Farms croutons kick ass.
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Two Hearted wrote: Rothbury Farms croutons kick ass.
they must be - I think I ate the whole bag that night. The next morning my mouth was all shredded.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Two Hearted wrote: Rothbury Farms croutons kick ass.
they must be - I think I ate the whole bag that night. The next morning my mouth was all shredded.
Try the Cheesy Garlic ones--I ate almost a whole bag of those on Thursday.

Dip them in Caesar salad dressing, and call it a salad. That way it's healthy.
--Smatter

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Booz Hound wrote:I've been shitfaced for a solid 3 months
Congratulations!

And as regards the docs, I once had the military docs tell me I had an African lung fluke, in my foot. Yeah, right. When I finally got to see the civilian foot doc, it was an infected plantar wart. And every time I had my labs, my liver whatevers were high, and my blood sugar was high. Now that I stick myself, my sugar is actually low, and the lab that does me before my chemo, tells me that everything is normal.
like tears in rain

Bur

Post by Bur »

I'm getting some vibes about America's sucky health care or sumfin, might be just the glass staring at me.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

looks like i picked the wrong week to stop chugging ice cream!
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

It's actually insane, but every blood test/check up/whatever I took said I was a perfectly healthy person. Apparently, my metabolism doesn't give a shit about alcohol and cigars. it just shrugs off the consequences. Well, what can I do, I keep on drinking.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.