How many of us are ex-military?

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Henry Chinaski
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

How many of us are ex-military?

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Just curious. Bet it's a fairly high percentage. I was in the Puking Buzzards (101st).

Hank

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

More and more I wish I had joined after high school. I don't know if it would have done me any good, but it might have.

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

Frankennietzsche wrote:More and more I wish I had joined after high school. I don't know if it would have done me any good, but it might have.
Same here, Frank. It seems most of my friends who when to college burned out because they didn't know what they really wanted. I don't know if I'd recommend the military as a career but it seems like a good place to spend four to six years getting hammer until you find yourself.
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."
- Paul Newman, The Hustler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141203 ... F8&s=books

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

I was a DODDS brat and lived with a few military families as a teen. Some of them, salt of the earth. Too young to date, well, :wink:
I also was friends with a lot of the Fort Polk guys, I used to put them up on the weekends, take them out and introduce them to my girlfriends. A few marriages even resulted...
The second weekend they came back, they had chipped in on a surprise pair of tanker boots for me! Then they brought me a bullet belt. Sweethearts.

You're out of your league, go back to your own village!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

RAMC for long, long years.
Which is why I often make people heave, by suturing my own drinking injuries.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Modern Drunkard
Site Admin

Hoohah!

Post by Modern Drunkard »

A Co. 2/75 Rangers. Smartest thing I ever did. Aside for getting hooked on the booze.

Frank

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Nope. I just sleep with a Marine.
like tears in rain

Jimmy&Guinney
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

I went to Marine Corps boot camp 3 weeks after graduating from high school. I was in the infantry and drove Hummers for Wepons Company 2nd Battalion 5th Marines. If I knew then what I know now, I would never had joined, but I was an undisciplined kid who hated studying and my dad was a Marine. It was a good experiance and I don't regret doing it, I had a great time. It got a kid from a small town in Wisconsin to Souther California, and that was worth it right there. Boot camp was also a great experiance. But the American military, as decorated Marine Coprs General Smedly Butler testified to Congress, is "a racket." Rarely does our military get doployed to protect American freedom or democracy. We are usually used to get some weak country to hand over their natural rescources for cheap. It doesn't matter how "patriotic" you think you are, that's a fact. It's never a fair fight any more. It's just our technology, that gets ballooned up because we spend more money on military hardware then most countries combined, blowing the crap out of undeveloped countries. What honour is in that? I served out of 17 year old idealism of fighting for freedom and democracy, not to make Dick Cheney even more rich and powerful, thereby making our country less free and democratic.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

Pinky
Souse
Souse

Post by Pinky »

What do you do with a drunken sailor,
Earl-eye in the morning!

I was a photographer in the USN. Served in Yokosuka, Japan and then on the aircraft carrier USS Midway CV41 stationed in Yokosuka, Japan.

Japan is a drunkards paradise and I played my role as fun loving sailor for all I was worth. So did most of us. Except for all the crap the navy was great.

Nevertheless, the military is a great place to become an adult.
Yeast are our friends.

SeeNoEvil
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by SeeNoEvil »

I spent 5 years in the USMC. The experience got me out of my home town and allowed me to visit places and met some really good friends that I would not have if I hadn't enlisted.

Like Pinky said above, Japan is a drunkard's paradise. I spent many fine months in that wonderful country.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

My husband is a retired Marine, but I forgot to mention that my 18 year old daughter is a Marine also. She absolutely loves it. Her little sister wouldn't think of joining, though she is proud of her Daddy and sister. The military experience is not for everyone.
like tears in rain

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

good wone sawaghe, my fameily is heafixly millitary, i have awful god damdn knees or i wound have been one of the amazing branches
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

fdoosey
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by fdoosey »

I didn't, but sometimes wish I did. But I am legally blind in one eye so duty would have told me to go to hell. But I wish I could have served.

Then Dad reminds me of all the fun things he saw in Vietnam...he was one of the lucky bastards there for the Tet Offensive - and I realize it wouldn't have been all it was cracked up to be.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

Crux
Souse
Souse

Post by Crux »

Four years in Army Intelligence, and the only combat I ever saw was with the filing cabinet. Not glorious, not patriotic, not anything but a chance I had to see what I was capable of. Admitted, I joined out of pure class self-interest - steady wage, benefits, upward mobility - but my country got countless hours of labor out of me with a smile. Which, with the tax system, is more than most pure-citizens can say.

TARTANSPECIAL

Post by TARTANSPECIAL »

Does having sex with some wrens, count as having been in the military????? :twisted:
beer, wine,voddie it don't get any better.