Non-fiction Bookclub

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Non-fiction Bookclub

Post by GSG »

Might be nice to read some non-fiction books and chat about them - anyone else up for that? If you are, make a book suggestion and we'll give it a shot.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Non-fiction Bookclub

Post by Mr. Viking »

yeah, worth a try, though the only non-fiction I read tends to be fairly specific, textbooks, music books and brewing histories or guides
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Let's keep it as accessible as possible to all then and if we read about something that someone else already knows loads of stuff on, maybe we could use their expertise to sort out any confusion/answer questions?

Mr. Viking, are there any particular music books you can recommend?

If not individual books, what sort of topics would you all like to read about - science, philosophy, psychology, politics, biographies, sociology, history, the mating habits of naked molerats? However peculiar and unnerving your desire for a particular type of knowledge may be, I'm sure we can accommodate it.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

not really, they're mostly self help "learn to play piano, or songbooks, so nothing that can really be discussed or compared.
I have to admit I am more into the mating habits of clothed molerats.
I thing biographies and history would be the easiest, or maybe politics, but it's just a muddle of the other too. Science would be pretty good, a lot of good popular science books about. I meant to have a look in waterstone's earlier but I forgot
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

I just bought 'The Selfish Gene', anyone else want to read that?

WWDJFD?

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Maybe it would be a good idea for folks to describe their preferences in non-fiction reading? That way, the various posters might find some common ground and interests.

Myself, most of the non-fiction I read are biographies of people (usually entertainers or athletes) whose work I have admired. I also like true crime books (if they're well written and not overly sensationalized), various historical subjects, such as military events, the migrations of people and the development of civilization. Occasionally, some science-related reading gets included, but I'm not much on technical subjects unless they crop up as a life necessity.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

That's a good idea peetie. I like to read biographies of all sorts of people (e.g. entertainers, artists, writers, historical figures), layman's science stuff, adventure/survival/travel stories, referencey trivia books, interesting philosophy and history. I'm sure I like other stuff too, but I can't think what they are.

WWDJFD?

Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Fabricsoftner »

I'm down for this. Maybe we can decide on different genres, and a corresponding book for each one. For example, a biography, a philosophy book, history book, etc.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Great, well biographies seems to have been mentioned a few times now so shall we start with that? Any preferences? Is there a good one of Hemingway? He always sounded like he had a fascinating life.

WWDJFD?

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

How about embellished biographies?

Truth is stranger than fiction, but the Drunkard Tale grows each time it is told, can I get an amen?
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I'm currently reading the biography of Leonard Crow Dog.

I think there is a large gap in the world between being a "good" person and being a "spiritual" person. I don't see the need in giving it a name so I've been trying to read about "spiritual" people lately. Don't know it that makes sense or not. Getting to a higher level here with my "spirit" guide, whiskey.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

i remember liking the selfish gene, but it's been about 20 years.

can that be right?
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

What about infranovels, such as Laurent Binet's "HHhH"?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

It's heartening to know that folks still enjoy the written word. Yup.

Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Fabricsoftner »

Let's get this shit started. Considering the fact that we're all drunks, perhaps a historical text dealing with the subject of alcohol/booze would bee a good starting point.

I've read it a few times, but "The Joy of Drinking" by Barbara Holland is a fantastic and short read.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards