Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Badfellow, One for the Frog, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Frankennietzsche

User avatar
coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Posts: 6482
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:09 pm
Location: 610, PA

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by coqui_chris » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

There are other ways to change union official's lethargy or disconnect ...

Instead of voting them out, you can ... bear with me now ... get voted in ...
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

User avatar
Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Posts: 7065
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Screwball » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Girlie wrote:
Screwball wrote:The only reason I'm making decent money, decent work van and health insurance for the first time in my life is because the company I work for is a non-union branch of a union sprinkler company. Best job I have ever had in my life.

Ok, I probably could have made a better choice of a career but Dammit I am proud of being a fire alarm tech. When my system goes off there is a reason- to get people out of a building when they need to get the fuck out.

Plus, all the "mom and pop" shops will fuck you over pay wise by not paying overtime. Why? Because they can.


I'm sorry if this is kinda rambling post but I'm just a bit worn out from getting to work around 4am(school f/a inspection time). At least I'm getting paid for the overtime, finally.


P.S. I'm not trying to start no shit. Just telling ya'll about my life as a working class mofo.
I'm glad to hear that you are making good money and are happy with your employer and employment. But, ALL the mom and pop shops won't fuck you over because they can. But some will only if you let them. There are laws to prevent this. (And please don't take this as me saying that it's your fault, but there are avenues to use, we should use them.)

If people are so ready to use a union that they pay to help them remedy this kind of crap, why aren't they willing to use the laws (that we pay for in tax dollars) to help as well?
I contacted the Texas Workforce Commission on both companies that screwed me over. They said they would look into it and contact me when they had more info. Been 10 years.

Welcome to Texas Government.

At least it is Adios, Mofo time for Rick Perry. I'll be glad to see that con artist gone from office.

User avatar
mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Posts: 6443
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: A ship upon the vast ocean of the Mighty MDM
Contact:

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by mistah willies » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Screwball wrote:

At least it is Adios, Mofo time for Rick Perry. I'll be glad to see that con artist gone from office.
I laugh evrey time i read the name Ricfk Perry.

Becasue of this, what an asshole he must be.

Gas jets for the oven

User avatar
Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Girlie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Umm - okay, if you don't like your employer's policy to not drink on the job (not a law against that), work for someone else or start your own company and drink at will. But, you still don't have a case against an employer firing people for drinking (not working) when they are supposed to be working. I don't care if they are drinking or having sex or playing freaking Tiddly-Winks, if they are not working when they are committed to working, the employer can fire them. (Feel free to post this on the Tiddly-Winks board as well!)

User avatar
Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Girlie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 pm

coqui_chris wrote:
Girlie wrote:
Screwball wrote:The only reason I'm making decent money, decent work van and health insurance for the first time in my life is because the company I work for is a non-union branch of a union sprinkler company. Best job I have ever had in my life.

Ok, I probably could have made a better choice of a career but Dammit I am proud of being a fire alarm tech. When my system goes off there is a reason- to get people out of a building when they need to get the fuck out.

Plus, all the "mom and pop" shops will fuck you over pay wise by not paying overtime. Why? Because they can.


I'm sorry if this is kinda rambling post but I'm just a bit worn out from getting to work around 4am(school f/a inspection time). At least I'm getting paid for the overtime, finally.


P.S. I'm not trying to start no shit. Just telling ya'll about my life as a working class mofo.
I'm glad to hear that you are making good money and are happy with your employer and employment. But, ALL the mom and pop shops won't fuck you over because they can. But some will only if you let them. There are laws to prevent this. (And please don't take this as me saying that it's your fault, but there are avenues to use, we should use them.)

If people are so ready to use a union that they pay to help them remedy this kind of crap, why aren't they willing to use the laws (that we pay for in tax dollars) to help as well?
Lawyers cost money. And scabs take your job. Organizing so that there is a procedure and a bank account from which you can draw financial support for arbitration puts power into the working classes' hands.
Is your union a free one!? No! It costs money too. Further, you don't need a lawyer to make a case against a bad employer - you can start a case within the system. In fact, in many cases, it MUST start there. When it comes to overtime pay, like Screwball stated, there is no need for a lawyer at the onset (despite what your union sells you on). My sister had a mom and pop shop try to screw her out of overtime and she got back pay through the state Wage and Hour system. No need to pay a union, no need to pay a lawyer, just justice.

I understand how you have to keep trying to justify paying money and filling the pockets of others because they've told you it's in your best interest, but don't you ever question it?

User avatar
Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Girlie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Screwball wrote:
Girlie wrote:
Screwball wrote:The only reason I'm making decent money, decent work van and health insurance for the first time in my life is because the company I work for is a non-union branch of a union sprinkler company. Best job I have ever had in my life.

Ok, I probably could have made a better choice of a career but Dammit I am proud of being a fire alarm tech. When my system goes off there is a reason- to get people out of a building when they need to get the fuck out.

Plus, all the "mom and pop" shops will fuck you over pay wise by not paying overtime. Why? Because they can.


I'm sorry if this is kinda rambling post but I'm just a bit worn out from getting to work around 4am(school f/a inspection time). At least I'm getting paid for the overtime, finally.


P.S. I'm not trying to start no shit. Just telling ya'll about my life as a working class mofo.
I'm glad to hear that you are making good money and are happy with your employer and employment. But, ALL the mom and pop shops won't fuck you over because they can. But some will only if you let them. There are laws to prevent this. (And please don't take this as me saying that it's your fault, but there are avenues to use, we should use them.)

If people are so ready to use a union that they pay to help them remedy this kind of crap, why aren't they willing to use the laws (that we pay for in tax dollars) to help as well?
I contacted the Texas Workforce Commission on both companies that screwed me over. They said they would look into it and contact me when they had more info. Been 10 years.

Welcome to Texas Government.

At least it is Adios, Mofo time for Rick Perry. I'll be glad to see that con artist gone from office.
Try the local (state) department of Wage and Hour. If you have a case, they will take care of it. It's the local division of a federal office.

User avatar
Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Girlie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:25 pm

GinSoakedGirl wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:So anyways based on these test scores if they come in lousy a school loses federal government funding, and the students are allowed to attend a school that is subsidized and tax-exempt that is administrated by the For-Profit Corporation who WROTE THE PUBLIC SCHOOL'S TESTS. Hey, but wait a minute, CC ... can't that corporation just write an impossible test to guarantee failure and then grab all those profits? No no its totally not. Its for the children.
And people are really OK with the education of their children being fucked about with in this way? If I was in their situation I would definitely be trying to get into a union. And the 'it's for the children' thing that people chuck about? It's only ever chucked about by people who don't give a shit about them.

Interesting story Chris, cheers.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where did CC actually show that this is occurring other than his words? I have a child and I know this is NOT the case, so please CC show me where my son's public educational requirements are driven by the private (evil capitalist!) organizations rather than the federal Department of Education and state requirements?

User avatar
coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Posts: 6482
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:09 pm
Location: 610, PA

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by coqui_chris » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am

Listen to me now: Do things, do things, do things bad things with it
For the love of money

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/03/16/ch ... it-motive/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ans ... _blog.html
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

User avatar
Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Girlie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Girlie wrote:
GinSoakedGirl wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:So anyways based on these test scores if they come in lousy a school loses federal government funding, and the students are allowed to attend a school that is subsidized and tax-exempt that is administrated by the For-Profit Corporation who WROTE THE PUBLIC SCHOOL'S TESTS. Hey, but wait a minute, CC ... can't that corporation just write an impossible test to guarantee failure and then grab all those profits? No no its totally not. Its for the children.
And people are really OK with the education of their children being fucked about with in this way? If I was in their situation I would definitely be trying to get into a union. And the 'it's for the children' thing that people chuck about? It's only ever chucked about by people who don't give a shit about them.

Interesting story Chris, cheers.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where did CC actually show that this is occurring other than his words? I have a child and I know this is NOT the case, so please CC show me where my son's public educational requirements are driven by the private (evil capitalist!) organizations rather than the federal Department of Education and state requirements?
coqui_chris wrote:Listen to me now: Do things, do things, do things bad things with it
For the love of money

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/03/16/ch ... it-motive/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ans ... _blog.html
Sorry - were those links supposed to be a citation for your claim that the for-profit education sector writes the standardized testing for public schools? I'm just not seeing it.

The state Department of Education within each state, along with requirements from the federal Department of Education, determines the standardized testing within the state. Your links to blog-posts do not contradict that as far as I can see. Even if each of them made that claim, I wouldn't find it credible. However, there are many more credible sources that say exactly the opposite of your claim that the for-system writes the testing (and in a way to ensure failure to get money).

From the AZ DoE:
"The Assessment Section is responsible for statewide assessment of students enrolled in Arizona Public Schools. The section works closely with educators in the development and administration of our assessments. All Arizona public schools, including districts schools and charter schools, are required to properly administer state and federally mandated assessments."

NJ DoE:
"In May 1996, the New Jersey Board of Education adopted the Core Curriculum Content Standards (CCCS) which enumerated what all New Jersey students should know and be able to do by the end of the fourth and eighth grades, and upon completion of a New Jersey public school education. The CCCS, which are revised every five years, also define New Jersey’s high school graduation requirements and are the basis for assessing the academic achievement of students at grades 3 through 12. With the enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB), New Jersey’s statewide assessment system has undergone further change. This federal legislation requires that each state administer annual standards-based assessments to students in grades 3 through 8, and at least once in high school. Federal expectation is that each state will provide tests that are grounded in rigorous state content standards and that assess student achievement in language arts literacy, mathematics and, at three benchmark grade levels, science."

PA DoE:
"The Pennsylvania State Board of Education has adopted academic standards in 12 subject areas. The academic standards are benchmark measures that define what students should know and be able to do at specified grade levels beginning in grade 3. The standards are promulgated as state regulations. As such, they must be used as the basis for curriculum and instruction in Pennsylvania's public schools. State requirements for curriculum, instruction and assessment can be found in the Board's Chapter 4 regulations, available online at: Chapter 4."

Post Reply