Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by coqui_chris »

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/1 ... ternships/
As many workers get ready to blow off the week’s steam with a few beers, striking Labatt Brewing Company workers are calling for a boycott of the Canadian brewer’s products. Labatt has hired the infamous AFIMAC security firm to provide scabs and other strike services. (Last year, In These Times profiled an AFIMAC-sponsored conference headlined by Henry Winkler, a.k.a. the Fonz).
Never new the Fonz was a rat. That was probably a Honda instead of a Harley all along.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Boycott Labatt's ... Beer's full of scabs

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Easy for me; I only drink beer to be marginally more sociable; but I'll spread the word.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Palinka wrote:Easy for me; I only drink beer to be marginally more sociable; but I'll spread the word.
TBH I never reach for a Labatt's my own self. But they are owned by Anheuser-Busch Inbev and this brand only made $9.4 billion net profit last year ... Sheesh!

http://www.nupge.ca/content/5865/nape-l ... t-products

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Wouldn't a beer full of scabs get you free beer, like a beer with a mouse in it?
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

frankennietzsche wrote:Wouldn't a beer full of scabs get you free beer, like a beer with a mouse in it?
Good point! If they made $9.4 billion in profits last year, then surely they can lower the prices so we get a free beer per-6-pack while still paying the Working Man a Living Wage.

Dylboz
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dylboz »

What if you find a mouse in their beer?
I've taken the edge off so many times, I'm round!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Dylboz wrote:What if you find a mouse in their beer?
Surely it'd be more likely to find a moose in that beer?
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Palinka wrote:
Dylboz wrote:What if you find a mouse in their beer?
Surely it'd be more likely to find a moose in that beer?

Could be worse.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Is this the point where those of us who think unions are the bane of private industry and public service alike chime in?

Unions have been around far longer than they were necessary in the early 20th century. Then they were a necessary control on dangerous and oppressive working conditions then. No longer.

For the last few decades they have been proven to be nothing but an impediment to technological progress. See the Communications Workers' of America (CWA's) opposition to the Telecommunications Act in the 90s.

All I saw of the CWA while I worked for the phone company in NY was restricting installers and repairmen from doing more than four jobs a day when they could've easily done six or more, depending on the job, for the sole purpose of charging overtime. I also saw foremen catching installers IN THE BAR during working hours when they were supposed to be, y'know, installing phones, suspend them, only to see the union grieve the suspension and get the layabouts their suspension money back. I have also seen union reps represent sales and services reps who stole sales from fellow reps. Disgraceful. Spineless management leads to union misbehavior. Not satisfied? Does it bother you that raises are granted simply by time showing up for work as opposed to merit?

Union rules cripple construction, education, telecommunications and any other industry they infect. They have not been necessary since the sweatshops of the early 20th century.

So I won't be boycotting any company that is standing up to unreasonable union demands.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

NYDingbat wrote:Is this the point where those of us who think unions are the bane of private industry and public service alike chime in?

Unions have been around far longer than they were necessary in the early 20th century. Then they were a necessary control on dangerous and oppressive working conditions then. No longer.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I make no comment but offer this, from George Sand's "Jean Zizka", "Poor workers or sick people, you must always struggle against those who tell you: "Work hard to livd badly!""

Read it; it's a good book.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Like unions or not, self-employed or stand united, I'd just like to point out that an argument was made against union workers for drinking beer. In a bar. On the Modern DRUNKARD Magazine site.
drunk·ard
/ˈdrəNGkərd/
Noun
A person who is habitually drunk.
Synonyms
sot - toper - drinker - tippler - inebriate - boozer
And notwithstanding that in these days of automation and computerization and GPS tracking and furthermore of random compulsory drug-and-alcohol testing, a union worker drinking in a bar on the company's dime has been very effectively extinguished. As a matter of fact, signing a collective bargaining agreement, while clearly enshrining fair compensation and benefits and fighting for a secure retirement fund, also requires a much much much higher level of accountability by the worker, an accountability whose scrunity is increasing more and more each day due to technology.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

With apologies, this thread has now become "Politics" and now belongs in that forum.

"Zada se zdvorile, by se nehovorilo o politice"...
ドロンケン
ImageImage

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

Union workers, like every one on this planet, should drink in pubs.
If they are drinking someone else's money, they should buy rounds. For egalité!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I was signed up to a union by an aggressive man the first job I ever had. They did get pay rises for workers, but I didn't get one because I was only temporary staff. A lot of unions are bloated and have some fairly unscrupulous members. I'm uncomfortable with how some people work for the union and make mopre money than the people they represent, which seems crooked.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best