Feminism

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Feminism

Post by peetie44 »

Palinka wrote:"Misogyny, like The Poor, will always be with us". Read and discuss...
Found this, also on The Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/s ... okonnikova
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Palinka wrote:"Misogyny, like The Poor, will always be with us". Read and discuss...
Sadly I agree that there is a backlash. It's understandable that if you're privileged and that platform becomes vulnerable that you want to preserve it (who *would* want to give up their power?), but that doesn't mean your platform was ever right in the first place. I've certainly noticed something of a step up in unpleasant behaviour from certain gentlemen in recent years - I have received suggestions from perfect strangers that I should be raped/mutilated/killed, and most women I know have had similar - all of us have commented that we didn't get this to the same extent five years ago. I am not a radical feminist (I just have this bizarre ideal that everyone can live in a world where they are equally valued for being humans rather than for their genitals/ethnicity etc.), and I don't really talk about feminism that often. No, these are responses from unknown men to innocuous comments about all sorts of stuff who are basically telling me to shut up. Being told to shut up can come in many forms - sometimes it can be the extreme of rape/death threats, more frequently it's being called stupid, being told we're just complaining women and it's boring, sometimes it's being told we're not being logical. Whatever, the intent is to intimidate, humiliate and to silence. I assume getting women to be silent is preferable to them actually being listened to and the platform being further wobbled.

I will not be silent. I do not believe that men cannot comment on this issue just because they don't know what it's like - things will never change without the agreement of the vast majority - but I really don't think a lot of men really know just how tiresome, frustrating, frightening, fucking...*time-consuming* it can be to be a woman at times (and I'm not just talking about our hair and make-up routines). If it can be a chore for me, think now how heart-breakingly awful it must be for women elsewhere in the world. We still need feminism. You hear a few comments about abuse - we LIVE that shit. Please don't dismiss us because you're secretly worried about your platform. Help us help ourselves up - it'll be better for everyone.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Also, Robin Thicke is a complete tool.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

WWDJFD?

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I agree with both of the above posts by GinSoakedGirl.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:Also, Robin Thicke is a complete tool.
Been banned on some university campuses. I think that is a silly measure as it simply brings his stuff to attention. I personally don't see the appeal in his music, but feel uncomfortable about some of the lyrics. My drinking makes some people uncomfortable, so I don't think that is enough to base an argument on. He is, however, incredibly crass. I did see an article claiming the song is ironic because the artistes are married. Much like TJD, I don't buy it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Some claim that Feminism needs "rebranding", Hadley Freeman disagrees...
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:Also, Robin Thicke is a complete tool.
And "that song" has become extremely contentious.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Judge

Post by Judge »

Finally, men will be able to find the answer to "what's wrong?" when the reply is "if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you."

And admit it chums, its never even close to anything you thought it was, this could save a lot of money on wasted jewelry.

To be fair, this was beta tested in a small town called Stepford. While the initial results were deemed fantastic, in practicality it ended rather poorly. Maybe this time will be different:
Scientists closer to mind-reading devices.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Cousin It
Souse
Souse

Post by Cousin It »

Hmmm... white girl problems? Babe Walker said it best: http://www.babewalker.com/
I got drunk last night and I got drunk the night before. I'm heading to the bar right now, gonna get drunk some more. - Mojo Gurus

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Cousin It wrote:Hmmm... white girl problems? Babe Walker said it best: http://www.babewalker.com/
Mmm, I believe I mentioned intersectionality but thanks for dismissing any real concerns people may have. I'll get back in my privileged white girl box now.

WWDJFD?

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Cousin It wrote:Hmmm... white girl problems?...
Really?
Nelson Mandela (1997) wrote:As long as we take the view that these are problems for women alone to solve, we cannot expect to reverse the high incidence of rape and child abuse. We will not defeat this scourge that affects each and every one of us, until we succeed in mobilising the whole of society to fight it.
Nelson Mandela (2005) wrote:For every woman and girl violently attacked, we reduce our humanity.
And, one year on, has the Delhi rape case changed anything?

Now go back to your villiage, it's missing an idiot.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Cousin It
Souse
Souse

Post by Cousin It »

Palinka wrote:
Cousin It wrote:Hmmm... white girl problems?...
Really?
Nelson Mandela (1997) wrote:As long as we take the view that these are problems for women alone to solve, we cannot expect to reverse the high incidence of rape and child abuse. We will not defeat this scourge that affects each and every one of us, until we succeed in mobilising the whole of society to fight it.
Nelson Mandela (2005) wrote:For every woman and girl violently attacked, we reduce our humanity.
And, one year on, has the Delhi rape case changed anything?

Now go back to your villiage, it's missing an idiot.
Wow! I sense some people don't like Babe Walker- for shame, she is hilarious. Is this a Social Justice Warrior forum?

I'm out. Have with the victimization bullshit!
Last edited by Cousin It on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got drunk last night and I got drunk the night before. I'm heading to the bar right now, gonna get drunk some more. - Mojo Gurus

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

You haven't been victimised, you said something stupid and were called out on it. There's a difference.

WWDJFD?

Cousin It
Souse
Souse

Post by Cousin It »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:You haven't been victimised, you said something stupid and were called out on it. There's a difference.
You're a special snowflake, aren't you?

Peace out with the SJW bullshit.

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Cousin It wrote:
GinSoakedGirl wrote:You haven't been victimised, you said something stupid and were called out on it. There's a difference.
You're a special snowflake, aren't you?

Peace out with the SJW bullshit.
Lol, really? You say something provocative, you get all hurt when someone pulls you up on it and I'm the 'special snowflake'? What, am I supposed to feel chastened?

WWDJFD?