Scary Shit

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Palinka (RIP)

Scary Shit

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

This shit is being done in our name; I reject it, please do the same. Torture is always wrong, regardless.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Scary Shit

Post by coqui_chris »

Palinka wrote:This shit is being done in our name; I reject it, please do the same. Torture is always wrong, regardless.
For the record, I don't like that it was done to people from the land of my ethnicity, and I don't like it being done by people from the land of my nationality.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Then support Amnesty International (a £, € or $ a week will help so many, for so little - I lose that amount when I sit on a couch).

And for the record, I don't like it being done to anyone (and we are all of the same race: the Human Race) and the Doctors that are complicit in torture are no better than Mengele.
So, if you want to get angry about something, get angry about this shit.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I never get angry. But why would they do that to Ford Prefect!?
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Girlie »

That looks terrible, but can we at least objectively agree that the video's intention was most likely to produce the response that you are expressing? AND, It's a medical intervention for crying out loud, not intended for torture, but for the sake of not permitting suicide.

As a bored 7 year-old, I was playing with my mom's sewing kit while she spoke to a neighbor and I (as a bored 7 year-old might) wondered if the button I was playing with would fit in my nostril. Turns out that it did! AND it slid down my nasal passage as well. When I told my mom what I did, she called the doctor and he recommended that she take me to the ER. At the ER, they couldn't find it through routine measures (looking in my nose with a light) and needed to make sure that it was not lodged anywhere that would cut off my breathing later. So, they had to put a camera (very much like this feeding tube) into my nasal passage and down my throat. I remember it hurting a lot and I remember crying, but I didn't fuss nearly as much as in this video.

Also, I cried a lot when I got stung by a bee at age 7.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

"AT FIRST, DO NO HARM..."
ドロンケン
ImageImage

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

"DON'T PANIC"
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Girlie

Post by Girlie »

Palinka wrote:"AT FIRST, DO NO HARM..."
Harm is allowing the patient to die. A bit of pain to prevent death, does not go against the Hippocratic Oath. A needle hurts too, bit if it saves a life, it's the best choice.

Like I said, I withstood almost the exact same procedure at 7 years old to ensure my safety (maybe the camera was smaller or maybe a bit larger, I don't know, but I'm old so the technology for small cameras wasn't as good as today). Feeding someone on a hunger strike preserves their life. This video is politically driven propaganda.

The man is AN ACTOR and he's overacting at best.

Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Fabricsoftner »

The issue is the force feeding of people who are voluntarily on a hunger strike. It's not simply a matter of preventing "patients" from starving; it's a matter of force being used to stifle and prevent a protest. This shit is comparable to rape.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

A medical intervention for the sake of not permitting suicide? We don't even allow those poor sods that release. I don't know the ins and outs of force-feeding - I know that it did a lot of permanent damage to some of the suffragettes when they went on hunger strike, I don't know how much the procedure has changed. But this isn't just about the procedure itself, it's the added pain that would go along with resistance. It's about it being prolonged for over two hours twice a day. It's about the fact that this procedure is reinforcing to these men twice daily that they have NO bodily autonomy whatsoever, even though most of whom have never even had charges brought against them. Keeping men alive who feel that they have - possibly quite rightly, and absolutely understandably - nothing to live for. Keeping them alive to torture them in other ways, physically and psychologically. So no, whilst the video itself may or may not be a fair depiction of force feeding as a procedure in isolation, it is still a degrading and inhumane thing to do to someone. Any sort of torture cheapens us as a whole and leaves an indelible stain if we do nothing to stand up to it.

Here is the sad story of Adgan Farhan Abdul Latif.

Not in my name, fuckers.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Girlie wrote:
Harm is allowing the patient to die. A bit of pain to prevent death, does not go against the Hippocratic Oath. A needle hurts too, bit if it saves a life, it's the best choice.

Like I said, I withstood almost the exact same procedure at 7 years old to ensure my safety (maybe the camera was smaller or maybe a bit larger, I don't know, but I'm old so the technology for small cameras wasn't as good as today). Feeding someone on a hunger strike preserves their life. This video is politically driven propaganda.

Very well put.

And indeed, a bit of over-acting by a very interesting musician, and he represented Ix quite well.

Who wouldn't want to have a few fast drinks and peanut protein at a pub before the overpass?

To wit: Quiet Dog Bite Hard.

While I in no way support torture, there is, indeed, the oath of a doctor to save a life.

You wicked smart.

First round is on me, Girlie.

Well met.
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

"You look skinny. You should eat more. Here, sit down. Let me fix you something."

They are just being motherly.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Girlie

Post by Girlie »

Fabricsoftner wrote:The issue is the force feeding of people who are voluntarily on a hunger strike. It's not simply a matter of preventing "patients" from starving; it's a matter of force being used to stifle and prevent a protest. This shit is comparable to rape.
Yes, just as the issue might be that a physician might have to forcibly remove the contents from a person's stomach who "voluntarily" swallowed enough pills to kill oneself. They "raped" them into life again! Oh no!!!!! I'm sure a stomach pump hurts too.

I've been in the ER with a jackass who tried to "voluntarily" kill himself with pills and alcohol (I assume, from what the docs were saying) and I saw a lot of the procedure - it looked awful and very painful - nonetheless, it saved the patient's life despite the fact that the doctors "raped" that a-hole's stomach contents from his suicide attempt.

And what the fuck do you know about being raped?

Girlie

Post by Girlie »

tdcwillies wrote:
Girlie wrote:

Very well put.

And indeed, a bit of over-acting by a very interesting musician, and he represented Ix quite well.

Who wouldn't want to have a few fast drinks and peanut protein at a pub before the overpass?

To wit: Quiet Dog Bite Hard.

While I in no way support torture, there is, indeed, the oath of a doctor to save a life.

You wicked smart.

First round is on me, Girlie.

Well met.
Thanks for being a voice of reason amongst a crowd of bleeding hearts. Cheers to you!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Torture is doing something to someone that they do not consent to happen (yes, there are cases when the person is not in a position to give "informed consent", which is why a panel of doctors or a law court must decide for them).
Clearly, this is not happening in some cases, hence torture.
Bleeding heart? Sure. I have shed blood for my country. Would I do it again? Sure. Would I allow someone who has not given their consent to bleed for my country? Fuck, no. Not in my name (and I have returned the only medal that I accepted, in protest).
ドロンケン
ImageImage