Lifting the veil

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Lifting the veil

Post by GSG »

There have been calls to ban the niqab from certain places (as well as some to ban it altogether).

Thoughts?
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Lifting the veil

Post by Mr. Viking »

I feel uncomfortable when I see people wear them. I've seen talking heads (talking veils I suppose) say they get a sense of empowerment from it. I'm happy enough for people to wear them, so long as they want to. Saying that I don't like people hiding their faces
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Lifting the veil

Post by Frankennietzsche »

In these United States, we have a different legal frame in which to view this debate. Is this a religious parctice? Is this a cultural practice? That may be the main point of contention, here.
Also, can this be seen as an abuse issue?
The bigger question is: where does religious freedom begin and end? What cultural practices are allowable when they conflict with laws passed protecting the general well being of the populace (ie: adults not having their visage obscured in public)?
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"