Is the NHS safe in his hands?

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Is the NHS safe in his hands?

Post by GSG »

The new choice of chief executive of the NHS has been somewhat controversial. Simon Stevens was a bigwig in an American private healthcare company, UniversalHealth and during his time there fought long and hard to stop even a modest step towards universal healthcare. Now, whether or not universal healthcare should happen in the US is one matter (and one that we have debated, and should continue, to debate elsewhere) but can he be trusted with the NHS, or is this a cynical move by the government towards privatisation? Whilst there are problems with the NHS - not unlike any country's preferred system - I have yet to meet anyone who wants universal private healthcare in this country. Whilst his proposed salary of £189k amounts to a pay cut for him, it is still well in excess of the usual amount for chief public officials. Why?

Many have suggested that the chief executive of the NHS should be someone from within the system, who knows how it works and will seek to protect its interests. Healthcare (along with education, and I've got plenty of gripes about that which will follow) should not be a business and privatisation does not always lead to higher standards, and for evidence of that I gesture tiredly at our train system and our energy companies. Here are some interesting article about the appointment.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013 ... -executive

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... rnalSearch
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Is the NHS safe in his hands?

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Blame it on Obama!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Judge

Post by Judge »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:The new choice of chief executive of the NHS has been somewhat controversial. Simon Stevens was a bigwig in an American private healthcare company, UniversalHealth and during his time there fought long and hard to stop even a modest step towards universal healthcare. Now, whether or not universal healthcare should happen in the US is one matter (and one that we have debated, and should continue, to debate elsewhere) but can he be trusted with the NHS, or is this a cynical move by the government towards privatisation? Whilst there are problems with the NHS - not unlike any country's preferred system - I have yet to meet anyone who wants universal private healthcare in this country. Whilst his proposed salary of £189k amounts to a pay cut for him, it is still well in excess of the usual amount for chief public officials. Why?

Many have suggested that the chief executive of the NHS should be someone from within the system, who knows how it works and will seek to protect its interests. Healthcare (along with education, and I've got plenty of gripes about that which will follow) should not be a business and privatisation does not always lead to higher standards, and for evidence of that I gesture tiredly at our train system and our energy companies. Here are some interesting article about the appointment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... rnalSearch
"Will seek to protect its interests." There is your key phrase. Who's interest is that? The NHS or the citizens who receive services from the NHS?

We here in the US have yet to slip down that slope (and I've been in healthcare provision since 1980) but we are soon to join for better or worse. All I can say Mrs. Peel is to be wary and always skeptical of those who have your best interests at heart.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:...for evidence of that I gesture tiredly at our train system...
Indeed, our train system, currently, is little more than licensed larceny. I shudder to think what will happen were a similar system to be applied to our National Health Service. It really is no wonder that Scotland (and, albeit to a lesser extent, Wales) is proposing seceding from the Union.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage