Today Prince Charles becomes...

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Palinka (RIP)

Today Prince Charles becomes...

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

... not only 65 but also the longest serving "heir to the Throne". The question may not be "will he become King" as much as, "should he?"
Thoughts?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Today Prince Charles becomes...

Post by Mr. Viking »

well if royalty is the right thing then he should be king, as per the rules. I find him quite amusing. Doesn't really mean he should be our head of state; if that was based on being quite amusing I would much rather see Vic Reeves (HRH Jim Moir is his real name I think) atop the throne
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Being an American, I'm not a huge fan of the whole royalty thing. But it seems to me that if you're gonna have a titular monarchy, the traditional rules of succession should be observed.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Sheesh! How long can a German boy wait to become the King of England?
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

peetie44 wrote: titular
heh!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

I share a birthday with the big bastard, As the story goes, I was born on Charles' 40th and my old man refused to get out of bed.

True or not, the story makes me smile...

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Shane-O-Matic wrote:I share a birthday with the big bastard, As the story goes, I was born on Charles' 40th and my old man refused to get out of bed.

True or not, the story makes me smile...
Cheers to that, haha!
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

peetie44 wrote:Being an American, I'm not a huge fan of the whole royalty thing. But it seems to me that if you're gonna have a titular monarchy, the traditional rules of succession should be observed.
Actually, it is only comparatively recently that the Crown has automatically been passed to the eldest son. And even then there have been hiccups: George IV had no legitimate offspring, so the throne went to his brother William IV (who was not known as "The Sea Dog" for nothing), who had no offspring at all. So the throne went to his neice (via an Act of Parliament), Victoria, who had 13 kids and manage to pass the Crown onto her eldest son, Edward VII. Sadly Edward's eldest (about whom a great deal a scandalous rumour has accrued) died, so it went to his brother George V. His eldest initially accepted the Crown but abdicated before his coronation because he wanted to marry a divorced American (the horror, the shame). So it went to his brother George VI, who only had daughters. For a while there was hope that a son might follow but none was forthcoming. So, after a debate in Parliament, it was decided that his daughter, Elizabeth II (Scots often argue that they shouldn't have to call her Elizabeth II since they never had a first Elizabeth (England and Scotland being separate countries and having separate monachies until her death. However, Winston Churchill, Elizabeth II's first Prime Minister pushed an Act through Parliament, by which, to avoid confusion, a monach would henceforth be known by whichever number is the greater (so William, should he become King and use his given name as the name under which he will rule (they are allowed to change their names at their coronations (otherwise Edward VII would have been King Albert, which would have been far too Belgian for the British people to accept), will be be William V). And Parliament have now decided that the crown must go to the eldest child, irrespective of gender (as long as they are not Roman Catholic or married to a Roman Catholic). So, if young George's firstborn is a girl, she will become the heir, regardles of any subsequent brothers (assuming that we still have a monarchy).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

OtisCampbell
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by OtisCampbell »

...even less relevant.
Pipe down, Otis!!!!