Draconian Liquor Laws and Outrageous Prices

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Draconian Liquor Laws and Outrageous Prices

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Badfellow wrote:....you'd better have one of us send you some fine Virginia cavendish pipe tobacco. And a bottle of bourbon while we're at it. Act of mercy, you understand.
Do listen to my friend and collegue not only is he pre-deluvian but he is also a Moderm Drunkardist par excellence.

This will probably be cold comfort to you, nonetheless; alcohol and tobacco prices in the UK are so heartstopping that most supermarkets, which is where we buy our booze, have defibrillators (I am not joking).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

RP Owens wrote: I'm going to New Hampshire. Fuck it.
It's handy for the likes of this poor Injun, you know, to stock up when I want to save some serious cash. Take the exit right after the Piscataqua Bridge, to the state-controlled store: fucking cheap.

For you others, New Hampster doesn't have any stinking state taxes. Live Drunk or Die, that's their motto.

Amen

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Palinka wrote:have defibrillators
But using/renting them doesn`t come cheap I guess
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

oettinger wrote:
Actually, those are probably the only actual "free" stuff that you could get from a UK supermarket chain.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Palinka wrote:
oettinger wrote:
Actually, those are probably the only actual "free" stuff that you could get from a UK supermarket chain.
Wouldn`t be surprised if they charged for entrance, only let you leave for a small fee.
We have this wine spender, I always take a walk by. Spoted some retired folk getting drunk there one time, he is old so it was allowed.
Sometimes they`re offering liquor, no spender, persons handing it out sadly. But they are bored shitless standing there for hours they welcome me taking 6-8 samples of shitty stuff I would never buy and small stalk some
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

oettinger wrote:...We have this wine spender...
I was scratching my head at the word "spender" here. Then I realized you were speaking Deutschlish again. Spender = giver (or dispenser).

Seems the word in both languages derives from a common Latin root, expendere, from which the word "expend" would later enter English.

Prost Maximus!

TRINKEN!
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

uk government always tries to raise the price of alcohol. I think there is a mentality that drunkeness is a vice of the poorer classes and that so long as they are stopped from drinking all is good
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Mr. Viking,
During my time at that fuckin düsseldorf university doing scoial studies I was often confronted with exactly that thesis. It was like universal wisdom that alcohol intake plus poor peolpe equals beating wife and children, thus alcohol = evil.
Oh and it was masculines only.
Smoking pot and swallowing every pill in reach was cool though...

I didn`t even try to fight back verbally, I often arrived some five minutes late and let my alcoholic odor do the talking. No questions? Good, now shut up!
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Mr. Viking wrote:uk government always tries to raise the price of alcohol. I think there is a mentality that drunkeness is a vice of the poorer classes and that so long as they are stopped from drinking all is good
I always thought it was purely about the money. I was surprised to learn that the percentage of money goverments make off booze taxes is smaller than I expected. The rise in cost is likely in part because they would like to increase that percentage.

"Alcohol duties make a substantial contribution to state revenues. HMRC received
approximately £10 billion from alcohol duties in the financial year 2012/13, 2% of total tax
receipts" source

Accurate figures for the US are harder to come by, since alcohol is taxed both at the state and federal level, so the money flows every which way.

Of course, governments shoot themselves in the foot (and some politicians are aware of this, informed as they are by their friendly neighborhood lobbyists) if they cause consumption to decrease, because the economic value of the industry is enormous.

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Well, here's a piece that answers its own question correctly, entirely within the confines of the headline.

Is It Time for a War on Booze? No

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Won't someone think of the children!?!?!?!?!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

frankennietzsche wrote:Won't someone think of the children!?!?!?!?!
Yes, but

n

o
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

frankennietzsche wrote:Won't someone think of the children!?!?!?!?!
The children are thinking of you.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

That Draco dude approves of the creepy