Drunken Literature - Bring it if you got it...

TV & Film, Music, Books, Sports, Cooking, Cocktails, and the Rest

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Drunken Literature - Bring it if you got it...

Post by Hugh »

Since I'm on vacation from work, I've been on a bender since Thursday night. After six straight days, disorientation and can't sleeps was getting to me. This morning my phone rings, and I had to get out of bed to see who's calling. It was an unknown number so I sent it to voicemail. A minute later I get the ding and check my voicemail expecting to hear "We have been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty..." But it was Robert Nazarene, the editor of The American Journal of Poetry. He's calling to tell me he's accepting my poem Another Revolution, and he's just gushing, he loves the thing. I can't remember it, so I look it up on my laptop and it's a poem making fun of the rioters at the Capitol last month.

I've never had a editor call me on the phone to accept a submission. It knocked the disorientation right out of me. As I was drifting in and out of sleep this morning I was considering taking a day off from drinking to straighten out. But now I'm going to pour a few glasses of that Knob Creek 9 Year Reserve I've got in the cabinet. American Journal prints a biannual issue, and I'll also be on their website. They have 3,600 followers on Facebook. This is probably the high water mark of my literary career so far.

BTW, after re-reading the poem this morning, it ain't really that good. I'm delighted that he liked it, but it looks like I tacked one of those lines on the end that often get stuck on the ends of poems where a stupid poet tried to be profound and thought provoking. I almost want to call him back and tell him to cut it off. But no, I'll just sit here, accept the good luck and let myself feel lifted. Think about that Knob Creek later tonight, too.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Hugh wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 pm
Since I'm on vacation from work, I've been on a bender since Thursday night. After six straight days, disorientation and can't sleeps was getting to me. This morning my phone rings, and I had to get out of bed to see who's calling. It was an unknown number so I sent it to voicemail. A minute later I get the ding and check my voicemail expecting to hear "We have been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty..." But it was Robert Nazarene, the editor of The American Journal of Poetry. He's calling to tell me he's accepting my poem Another Revolution, and he's just gushing, he loves the thing. I can't remember it, so I look it up on my laptop and it's a poem making fun of the rioters at the Capitol last month.

I've never had a editor call me on the phone to accept a submission. It knocked the disorientation right out of me. As I was drifting in and out of sleep this morning I was considering taking a day off from drinking to straighten out. But now I'm going to pour a few glasses of that Knob Creek 9 Year Reserve I've got in the cabinet. American Journal prints a biannual issue, and I'll also be on their website. They have 3,600 followers on Facebook. This is probably the high water mark of my literary career so far.

BTW, after re-reading the poem this morning, it ain't really that good. I'm delighted that he liked it, but it looks like I tacked one of those lines on the end that often get stuck on the ends of poems where a stupid poet tried to be profound and thought provoking. I almost want to call him back and tell him to cut it off. But no, I'll just sit here, accept the good luck and let myself feel lifted. Think about that Knob Creek later tonight, too.
Congratulations! We never need a reason to drink, but as reasons go, this is a good one!
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Well done Jethro. Bourbon is always good for celebrations and that is something worth celebrating. Cheers!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

When will it end up on the website. Post a link maybe?
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:54 am
When will it end up on the website. Post a link maybe?
He said July 1, which probably means July 14 or 15.... Will post it here when it's up.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Congratulations!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

Belated congratulations, Hugh! Acceptance notes are always a reason to drink, usually cold tall ones.
I figured I could also post something of my own, just scribbled as my beer reminded me of a half-lost memory the blackout of that night sadly refused completely to enwreathe:

when bourbon turns to
rum and gin becomes tequila,
you’ve clambered into the wrong apartment, raiding
a stranger’s liquor cabinet.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Check out my story on Julius Kessler at DearBooze: https://dearboozecocktales.blogspot.com ... -silk.html

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I found a bottle
I don't know where it came from
Drinking found bourbon
like tears in rain