Horace and Pete (Louis C.K.)

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Frankennietzsche, Bur, ThirstyDrunk

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Horace and Pete (Louis C.K.)

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

"Horace and Pete" is a series that takes place in a fictional dive bar in Brooklyn New York called Horace and Pete's which has been handed down through the generates of brothers/cousins/fathers/sons etc, but always with co-owners of the name Horace and Pete. It's sort of an idealized version of a certain type of bar we all have in our mind. Juekbox, wood decor, watered-down drinks, politically incorrect assholes all round, and only one kind of beer served warm. The kind of place that the hipsters come to for irony but the locals have been coming for ages. A place that's haunted by family secrets and generations of sorrow. Where the owners live right upstairs and open and close just the same each morning and night. Where through sheer force of will nothing seems to change even as the world changes around them.

The show features drunks of many kind, attitude, and stripe. It's not typical of American TV because it lacks that plucky, energetic polish and reads slow-paced dramatic stage-play for TV that I feel like I've seen a little more of when I watch the occasional British drama.

In any case it's a show about a bar, and I believe deserves your drunken consideration.

If you're looking for it, this Louis C.K. creation Horace and Pete has not aired on television and as far as I'm aware and is only available via direct buy from LouisCK.net. His complete secrecy and lack of marketing leading up to its release is remarkable in its own right. The fact that a studio didn't hire him to make it, and that he financed it himself, gave him complete creative control in all aspects of its production. It's rare to see pure art like that in film or television (though I guess YouTube is making that more possible.)

I happen to love this series, though it's emotionally tough to watch and is really not for casual viewing (well maybe you can watch is casually, but I can't). In other words don't put it on for date night.

I'm curious to know if any of you all are familiar with it and what you all think?
Also, do you know of any actual bars like this fictitious ideal? (I got this idea from the Dive Bar thread)

Photo from Entertainment Weekly Inc.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Horace and Pete (Louis C.K.)

Post by oettinger »

Never heard of it. But I dig Louis stuff. He is an unknown entity here in germany. Youtube only helps so much in that regard
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I've bought it. Loved Louie, have no doubt I'll love this too. Might need to drunkenly phone my brother about this
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

Mr. Viking wrote:I've bought it. Loved Louie, have no doubt I'll love this too. Might need to drunkenly phone my brother about this
It's a beast, don't expect a laugh a minute. Episode 3 is intense.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

JoD, I love your new signature! Hahaha!
Drink!

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

oettinger wrote:JoD, I love your new signature! Hahaha!
Yeah, I mean that feeling when a person puts more effort in to their signature than one does to their last 200 posts.

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

Bur wrote:
oettinger wrote:JoD, I love your new signature! Hahaha!
Yeah, I mean that feeling when a person puts more effort in to their signature than one does to their last 200 posts.
I take a most hungover exception to that! I have FAR less than 200 posts.