Whatcha listening to?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, peetie44

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Whatcha listening to?

Post by Lush City »

Artful Detective wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 am
I LOVE the FREAKIN CARS!!
If a man sang about me like this I may consider many thoughts ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JnQfKIFERU
Yeah, I was young and hip once and had hair. They were cool. Today? Meh...
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Form me Lady. I'm after her whiskey now GOnna hafta get more black rum after I fin ish

finish this. Fin. Bur

i'm gonna bury this bottle of her'n

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Lush City wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:40 am
Artful Detective wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 am
I LOVE the FREAKIN CARS!!
If a man sang about me like this I may consider many thoughts ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JnQfKIFERU
Yeah, I was young and hip once and had hair. They were cool. Today? Meh...
I believe Lush is saying they didn't "hold up". It's funny. I get it. I recently read a book titled "Kill Your Idols". The point of the book is this: Music is subjective. And it has the power to transport a listener back to the time and place where the listener first heard the band/song. It brings back the feelings, thoughts, emotions, and even smells of that time. Thinking about old girlfriends can do this too. But you can look up an old girlfriend. And when you do, you realize that she has aged, just like you. She's had a few kids, gained a bit of weight, and has some baggage that she didn't have back in 1984.

But songs do not change. They sound exactly the same as they did the first time you heard them. I believe this is the reason that The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's album will not hold up over time. Sure, I believe it's a great piece of work, but it will age and will fall out of first place for the best album ever made. This will happen as soon as the baby boomers and generation x'ers are dead and gone. You see, that album was released during a fantastic time. And it was also the one time in history when the largest number of people, in a single generation, were coming of age. The album is good, but the power it has to transport all those baby boomers back to a time of freedom, and a time without the strappings that come with real life, is the real reason it is considered "the best". So, THOSE people believe it is the best. Ever. And to them, this is truth. Nothing wrong with that. It's magic.

So back to The Cars. I love them because the way the music makes me feel. All that stuff that I described. Again, it's subjective. And that's okay.

I do love a good Candy-O time machine.
DRINK!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

^^^^^^^
That's a fine thoughtful comment, Dear Booze. I think the Frank Sinatra songbook holds up pretty well today despite the stigma of the 'booze and broads' attitude. It's definitely for men and women that love men. What's funny is this is from my parents generation. The music was so much richer and had a high standard. It's all timeless to me.
Frank Sinatra - Moonlight In Vermont
https://youtu.be/mgzaZaPf9Hc
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Despite?
I think it adds originality
Drink!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Lush City wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:05 pm
^^^^^^^
That's a fine thoughtful comment, Dear Booze. I think the Frank Sinatra songbook holds up pretty well today despite the stigma of the 'booze and broads' attitude. It's definitely for men and women that love men. What's funny is this is from my parents generation. The music was so much richer and had a high standard. It's all timeless to me.
Frank Sinatra - Moonlight In Vermont
https://youtu.be/mgzaZaPf9Hc
Yes sir. I do love me some Sinatra. And I agree with you on every point. When I listen to it, I'm transported to a time that is relatable. Hell, I can almost smell the cigarette smoke. And although it is also from my parent's generation, I can enjoy and relate because of many things associated with it. Little things like remembering seeing Frank and his boys in movies, on TV specials, on album covers next to the giant stereo console in the living room, and on the Tonight Show. The mood and manners of the era carried over to when I was young. Just yesterday, I was watching the old Dean Martin Roasts (triggered by the death on Don Rickles) and noticed how the jokes that were acceptible then, are no longer acceptable now. It was a different time. And I liked it. And listening to Frank takes me back to that time. But "timeless"? I don't know. As soon as you and I are dead and gone, and we get a couple generations separating any reference to all of the stuff that I just mentioned, do you think his music will be appreciated the way you and I appreciate it? I mean, sure, they are great songs. But it will be impossible for then to feel what you and I feel because they will have no reference point. When it comes to a point where someone doesn't remember a time in their life when smoking was allowed indoors, I think that will be the end.

I dunno, man. What we get from music is much more than a sound. As I mentioned before, it's a time machine. And without knowing about the time you are visiting, it doesn't work.

So, maybe it will hold up as a good piece of music. Like Mozart. But it will not produce a "feeling" for future generations. Well, at least no more than when we hear "Over there, over there, send the boys, send the boys...The yanks are coming...", which also produced feelings for a different generation. Feelings which we do not share, because we weren't there.
DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Well, this is what I'm listening to.

Damned if You Do...

Now what are You Listening to?

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Aiiight. This is my second post, to quote a bot.

Mavericks.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

mistah willies wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Aiiight. This is my second post, to quote a bot.

Mavericks.

Ohh those pesky bots! Always coming up with the best one liners! Tee hee! Thanks for sharing Mistah Dubya. Love it!

I'm feelin' a bit angsty per uzsh. This is one of my favorite bands (next to 21 Pilots among others and I love everything from oldies, classic rock, metal, jazz, techno, to quasi new music of today and I know Shirley would be kicking arse with me in the back alley of S.T.B & G. ready to throw down Bobby Flay style...if necessary.

Flay
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Thank god I`m not quitting my drinkin mid Habit
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Posted it 100 pages ago still up to date: here comes alex, german punk in english. Yiddah!
Drink!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

This made me laugh

Creedence Clearwater Revival - misheard lyrics: https://youtu.be/ZHIop4mhRro
DRINK!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

How would Ella Fitzgerald sound singing Feels Good Inc. by them Gorillaz?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

You`re on to something there W.
Do you remember Rock Superstar?
Drink!