The Tiki Drinking Guide: Recipes and bars

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

The Tiki Drinking Guide: Recipes and bars

Post by Rye and Coke »

It was my goal for 2020 to come up with a tiki drink recipe I could easily make and it took a global pandemic and the apocalypse to finally figure one out.

Named after the bluestress and rockabilly goddess Etta James (who's -- if the movie Cadillac Records is even remotely reliable -- drink of choice was gin, but that's besides the point), the At Last celebrates that I finally got one fuckin' right.

The At Last
2 part dark rum
1 part blanco tequila
Pineapple Mango juice
Orange Juice
Grenadine
2 dashes of Orange Angostura bitters
Plenty of Ice

Just add ingredients with desired proportions and stir. Add dashes of bitters afterwards, on top, for aromatics. Garnish with an orange wheel and pineapple chunk if need be.

If anyone else has a tiki drink idea, add them on. I have this awesome tiki glass that I'm just dying to put use to now that I have a recipe.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: The Tiki Drinking Guide: Recipes and bars

Post by Dear Booze »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm
It was my goal for 2020 to come up with a tiki drink recipe I could easily make and it took a global pandemic and the apocalypse to finally figure one out.

Named after the bluestress and rockabilly goddess Etta James (who's -- if the movie Cadillac Records is even remotely reliable -- drink of choice was gin, but that's besides the point), the At Last celebrates that I finally got one fuckin' right.

The At Last
2 part dark rum
1 part blanco tequila
Pineapple Mango juice
Orange Juice
Grenadine
Plenty of Ice

Just add ingredients with desired proportions and stir. Add dashes of bitters afterwards, on top, for aromatics. Garnish with an orange wheel and pineapple chunk if need be.

If anyone else has a tiki drink idea, add them on. I have this awesome tiki glass that I'm just dying to put use to now that I have a recipe.
I have 4 1/2 favorite tiki bars:

Latitude 29, New Orleans
Frankie's Tiki Room, Las Vegas
Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar, Disneyland Hotel & Resort
Tonga Hut, Los Angeles and Palm Springs

Here's the "half" It's a strange place that I love. A Mexican family owns and operates an Italian restaurant whith a first rate Whiskey bar. From May thru September, they have a very, very good Tiki drink program. The problem is that it's missing the ambiance of the other places.
DRINK!

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Rye and Coke wrote:

The At Last
2 part dark rum
1 part blanco tequila
Pineapple Mango juice
Orange Juice
Grenadine
Plenty of Ice

Latitude 29, New Orleans

Here's the "half" It's a strange place that I love. A Mexican family owns and operates an Italian restaurant whith a first rate Whiskey bar. From May thru September, they have a very, very good Tiki drink program. The problem is that it's missing the ambiance of the other places.
I wish there was a way to search for tiki bars in your area. Maybe there is and I just have to put some effort in and research.

There was a bar that was close to a tiki, but I'd call it more of an Island Bar. It was the same concept of heavy boozy rum-based drinks and came with a patio. I looooved that spot. It was a great bar, but no one ever went to it so it went under. Now it's a weird Jamaican food/bar spot that's way over priced. I took Jack and Coke there for lunch once and when I got the bill I wanted to punch someone in the teeth.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:37 pm
Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Rye and Coke wrote:

The At Last
2 part dark rum
1 part blanco tequila
Pineapple Mango juice
Orange Juice
Grenadine
Plenty of Ice

Latitude 29, New Orleans

I wish there was a way to search for tiki bars in your area. Maybe there is and I just have to put some effort in and research.

There was a bar that was close to a tiki, but I'd call it more of an Island Bar. It was the same concept of heavy boozy rum-based drinks and came with a patio. I looooved that spot. It was a great bar, but no one ever went to it so it went under. Now it's a weird Jamaican food/bar spot that's way over priced. I took Jack and Coke there for lunch once and when I got the bill I wanted to punch someone in the teeth.
Have you been here: Archipelago

https://yelp.to/qTKq/HtHLKOMRe5

Drink menu looks pretty good.
DRINK!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Tiki drinks

Post by Savage »

Do any of you drunkards enjoy tiki drinks? I've really gotten into them in the last dozen years or so. Yes, they tend to the one or maybe two to a customer, but if you like them, post your favorite recipes here
like tears in rain

Dear Booze

Re: Tiki drinks

Post by Dear Booze »

Savage wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 am
Do any of you drunkards enjoy tiki drinks? I've really gotten into them in the last dozen years or so. Yes, they tend to the one or maybe two to a customer, but if you like them, post your favorite recipes here
The Painkiller is a pretty standard drink found on most Tiki Bar menus.

2 ounces dark or navy rum
4 ounces pineapple juice
1 ounce orange juice
1 ounce cream of coconut
Pineapple wedge, garnish
Grated nutmeg, garnish
DRINK!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Regarding Tiki drinks, I am hampered by my total abhorrence of anything involving coconut. To me, it smells bad, tastes worse.
like tears in rain

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Savage wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:43 am
Regarding Tiki drinks, I am hampered by my total abhorrence of anything involving coconut. To me, it smells bad, tastes worse.
Well then, you would probably enjoy a Tiki Akua. Another standard Tiki drink.

4 ounces pineapple juice
1 ounce orange juice
Floater of lime juice
Pineapple wedge, garnish
Grated nutmeg, garnish
DRINK!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Coconut milk and dark rum, add a dash of bitters, serve over ice

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Should any of you make it to the Bay area, the best Tiki bar is Forbidden Island in Alameda, and when you want to move on, hit up Swell across the street

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Rye and Coke wrote:

The At Last
2 part dark rum
1 part blanco tequila
Pineapple Mango juice
Orange Juice
Grenadine
Plenty of Ice

That sounds delicious. I might put rum in place of the tequila, but still, sounds great. A localish barstraunt had a Tiki Tuesday, but then Covid killed it.
like tears in rain

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:33 pm
i love this but with gin in place of the rum.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:13 am
Merchant Seaman wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:33 pm
i love this but with gin in place of the rum.
Sounds great. I'm going to make it too. But I'm going to substitute the coconut milk with Coke, and the bitters with nothing.
DRINK!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Tiki drinks

Post by benitobeast69 »

Dear Booze wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 am
Savage wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 am
The Painkiller is a pretty standard drink found on most Tiki Bar menus.

4 ounces pineapple juice
1 ounce orange juice
1 ounce cream of coconut
Pineapple wedge, garnish
Grated nutmeg, garnish
Painkillers are a great drink, my Mrs fave drink that I mix her I recon.....

You see though I wouldn't call it a tiki drink. to me it's too authentic to be tiki. It's a BVI drink with real fruit juice (more than just an oz of lime) for me (again I'm hardly the authority on the issue) tiki drinks should be concoctions invented outside of the Islands and (or the orient) but with a casual nod in that direction....they are incredible potions where the lack of authenticity adds to the allure. Most of my faves contain no more fruit than the afore mentioned shot of lime. The liquor is rum for the main part with occasional nods to other spirits.. half the time you're average joe will have never heard of the liqueurs, bitters and syrups being added..(who here had heard of Orgeat or Falernum before they mixed a Mai Tai or a Zombie..let alone such ambiguous ingredients as "Don’s mix"....all together the world I used before "potion" is the one best suited in my eyes.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Rye and Coke wrote:

The At Last
2 part dark rum
1 part blanco tequila
Pineapple Mango juice
Orange Juice
Grenadine
Plenty of Ice

I think we have some orange tequila, will that do? Or maybe it is not tequila. Must taste repeatedly to be sure.
like tears in rain