For Vermouth

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Rob wrote:Too much vermouth will kill a Martini in the most dreadful way. But too little of it and you'll and up with a nice glass of chilled gin. Which isn't bad, if i'm in the mood, but I usually like a Martini to be Martini. But I am guilty of a bit of blasphemy, since I leave out the garnish. The perfect Martini for me:

6 parts Beefeater gin
1 part Noilly Prat vermouth

Shaken with about 5 icecubes. A pretty firm shake, but not too long. You don't want it to taste like water. Then strain into a chilled Martini glass and take the first sip of that juniper goodness with Frank Sinatra crooning in the background.
I agree that there is should be a balance. Not too much vermouth, not little either. What that amount is, will depend on the individual's taste, but I don't think it should be left out altogether, nor should it be the dominant feature.

Rob
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rob »

I guess it also depends on the kind of vermouth you have. With Martini & Rossi Dry I'd rather leave it out because that stuff tastes cheap italian aftershave. But Noilly Prat's a great beverage, I even drink it straight sometimes. Or a tall one on the rocks with a splash of soda for a sunny hungover afternoon.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Rob wrote:I guess it also depends on the kind of vermouth you have. With Martini & Rossi Dry I'd rather leave it out because that stuff tastes cheap italian aftershave. But Noilly Prat's a great beverage, I even drink it straight sometimes. Or a tall one on the rocks with a splash of soda for a sunny hungover afternoon.
I can accept that philosophy. In the same vein, though, I would think the type/quality of gin or vodka you have would make a difference as well.

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

As to Martini's the article also mention the shaken vs stirred controversy. Shaken seems to somehow increase the anti-oxidant content. for those intereted.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.