Drink of the Week 10/19

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

I submit, for youir approval, the French 75.

A great alternative to memosa for your Sunday brunch, the French 75 is a perfect morning pick-me-up. Light and refreshing, it goes goes down easy, but packs enough of a punch to not let you forget it's there. Less dedicated drunkards may be surprised to see youi pulling out a cocktaile shaker before noon, but pay them no attention. They'll come around after the first drink, and if they don't, they're probably not worth your time.

French 75

1 measure gin
1/4 measure fresh lemon juice
1/4 Cointreau
5 measures champagne.

Combine gin, lemon and Cointreau with ice in cocktail shaker and shake vigorously. Pour into champagne flute and top with champagne. Enjoy and repeat as needed.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Barca wrote:Ok, I was drunk and I'm like Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle.
Quoting the B-boys? Damn, you're whiter than Al Roker.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by ***** »

Grey Goose wrote:
Shit, you beat me to it. Now it's time to start droppin' science like Galileo dropped an orange.

Nice drink, Bluto.

Thanks for the kind words, L&P, but my time behind the DOTW was an unmitigated train wreck.

liquor&poker

Post by liquor&poker »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:Thanks for the kind words, L&P, but my time behind the DOTW was an unmitigated train wreck.
Well, obviously you're no Barca. You're not even HALF as pretentious.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:
Grey Goose wrote:
Shit, you beat me to it. Now it's time to start droppin' science like Galileo dropped an orange.

Nice drink, Bluto.

Thanks for the kind words, L&P, but my time behind the DOTW was an unmitigated train wreck.
Thanks. Been awhile since I made any, but I'm thinking it might be a good lead in to Sunday football this weekend.

Jimmy&Guinney
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

L&Pzombie wrote:
DrDrinkBastard wrote:Thanks for the kind words, L&P, but my time behind the DOTW was an unmitigated train wreck.
Well, obviously you're no Barca. You're not even HALF as pretentious.
You're confusing leveling on your part with pretention on his part.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by happydrunk »

I like DOTW, not because I even drank the drinks (but I would if I was single, had no kids, and could go out to bars), but because it actually helped an uneducated drinker like myself know more about the art of drinkmaking or the history behind a certain drink, and it helped me get a feel about the person who offered up the drink, kind of like a Drinker's Show and Tell! I hope it is definitely revived and more Drunkards get to participate!
I'm not so think as you drunk I am.

Hell is no bourbon - Ms. Savage

Because that's how you win. Gunpowder and rum.,

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

L&Pzombie wrote:Well, obviously you're no Barca. You're not even HALF as pretentious.
Hell... the good Dr. isn't even half his size!!!
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Bluto wrote:I submit, for youir approval, the French 75.

A great alternative to memosa for your Sunday brunch, the French 75 is a perfect morning pick-me-up. Light and refreshing, it goes goes down easy, but packs enough of a punch to not let you forget it's there. Less dedicated drunkards may be surprised to see youi pulling out a cocktaile shaker before noon, but pay them no attention. They'll come around after the first drink, and if they don't, they're probably not worth your time.

French 75

1 measure gin
1/4 Cointreau
5 measures champagne.

Combine gin, lemon and Cointreau with ice in cocktail shaker and shake vigorously. Pour into champagne flute and top with champagne. Enjoy and repeat as needed.
According to a tally sheet I found Barca, Roomie and I enjoyed or at least drank these in the not too distant past.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Oggar wrote:
Bluto wrote:I submit, for youir approval, the French 75.

French 75

1 measure gin
1/4 Cointreau
5 measures champagne.

According to a tally sheet I found Barca, Roomie and I enjoyed or at least drank these in the not too distant past.
Were you partaking at home, or a local establishment?

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

At a bar. Mettler's I'm fairly certain.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Thee Totaller
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Thee Totaller »

Barca wrote:maybe we can drown out the 15 idiots who post 45 times a day about their shoes, their cats, and
whoa whoa wait...wasn't it James Watt that told us all you people cared about was pussy, comfortable shoes, and a warm place to ponder the DOTW?

French 75 is archived as a suggestion from Massive. I'd never partaken, though I like all the ingrediants singly. Sorry much as I like cocktails, I like boozy booze better and ordinarily can't be arsed to mix it. Notwithstanding, I still enjoy DOTW and appreciate the effort and eloquence behind it. If glugging in preference to mixing makes me a Obsolete Drunkard, well, I'm old enough to have earned that. Hell, I'm on the verge of wearing calf socks with sandals.

And I just mayght take a shot of that ornriness:

The Ornery Bastage:

4 fingers 'o whatever the fuck you got
AHLL BE BOCK

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Oggar wrote:At a bar. Mettler's I'm fairly certain.
Well, that does it. I've got to make it over to your part of MN one of these days.

The Lush
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Lush »

Currently I have nothing in my hand, but as the next two DOTW's both contain cream, I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to discuss the drink I wish I had in my hand right now.

It is always a tough choice, how many times have you wandered into one of your usual haunts and immediately been given the same drink that you have had so many times in the past? Before long you have settled into the same rhythm, and yet you may find yourself thinking, "you know what, I really don't feel like this right now, I want something different". What can the wise drinker do to avoid this? Should we 'phone the bar in advance? Should we try to force ourselves to remember to tell the staff before they hand you the next one (afterall, it would be unforgiveable to refuse the first one) that we fancy having a change? And what then, once we have decided to have a change, will it bugger up our rhythm on subsequent nights? I am sure I remember at some point in the distant past I always tried to vary my drinks in my regular bars to try to avoid this situation, but my habits have slipped, as I find myself drawn repeatedly to drinking whatever is the cheapest thing in each bar.

Of course having found a solution to the first problem, I find myself confronted by the second, which is potentially even more disastrous. The confusion bubbles up inside as I stare at the drinks list, bottles and glasses. What to order? As I blather I waste drinking time, but after so long on the same drink, from the same glass (it's called the same), in the same place, I feel disjointed breaking my routine. The same feeling you get when you change some minor part of your daily routine, like shaving the left side of your face before the right side, or whatever it is that leaves you with a nagging feeling that something isn't quite right. It is a battle to think of something to have, but then, and I finally come to some semblance of a point, DOTW was born. No longer did we need to stare gormlessly at the pretty bottles, we knew to try a drink recommended by other boozehounds.

I have digressed, so will come back to my point. The drink I wish I had in my hand right now is the one that will satisfy. The one that is right for the moment, and yet at so many times it eludes me. Of course, not when the choice is obvious (Wimbledon = Pimm's, Christmas morning = Champagne, cold winter's evening in front of fire = mulled wine or Whisky, and so on to your individual taste), but when I am in a situation where almost anything would be appropriate. At those times when I could order anything, I find I am still so unversed as to not be able to instantly know which drink will satisfy me. Even as I type this, I think that a Whisky would be the best thing to have in my hand right now, but how can I be sure?

It seems there is but one solution, to experiment more, to refine my knowledge not only of the sensations caused by each drink, but rather the sensations my body is giving me when it is demanding a drink, to more often break from the monotony of life and reach out for something new.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have no idea what I want in my hand right now, but trust me, one day, I will find out.
"If moderation is the key to the door then indulgence is the fucking chainsaw" One of the greatest men to ever live.