Tamarind Juice as a Mixer?

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Palmwine Drunkard
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Tamarind Juice as a Mixer?

Post by Palmwine Drunkard »

Tamarind, Lime juice, and Vodka. Name suggestions?

I am just trying this and it is really delicious, although a bit on the "healthy" side for some tastes (including mine usually).

Tamarind, for those of you who don't know, is a tropical SE Asian fruit that resembles a large elongated plum. Its fruit is a deep purple color and it has many small seeds in the center.
This fruit is also known as "Terong Belanda" (Dutch Eggplant!) in Indonesian, but its flavor is a sour / tangy mixture of strawberry, mango, and tomato.
I know it sounds gustatorially conflicting, but with a bit of sugar added, it is a wonderful pulpy bit of equatorial heaven.

The fruit is peeled and the seeds scooped away, and thrown into the blender. Two potato-sized fruits are enough for a 75cl pitcher of juice.
I also used the juice of two limes, and sugar to taste.
I like it tart, so I used about two tablespoons of sugar.

Blend it up and throw it in the freezer to chill.

I used vodka this time, but I think this might also be very good with rum.

Very delicious!

Tamarind is said to have anti-oxidant properties, and is used traditionally for iron deficiencies in order to "tambah darah" ("add blood"), although I don't know if there is any truth to that.

It is also very high in fiber, so for those of us not wishing to have a full on health drink experience in addition to our booze, one might consider straining the pulp!

I was able to buy sweetened tamarind juice from Salvadorean markets in California when I lived there. This fruit was brought to Central America at some point as a plantation crop, but it never really caught on in the states, as far as I know.

It is called tamarindo in Salvadorean and Costa Rican bodegas and restaurants.

If you ever get and chance, and are in the mood for tropical sweetness with a twist, I absolutely recommend this.

Cheers!
"Nature is beautiful at its most violent and chaotic. Embrace the wildness, in the storm and in yourself. And meditate heavily with aid of Johnny Walker. You've got it right. Let it all keep turning."
(Raoul Duke)

Palmwine Drunkard

Ah, c'mon!
Be adventurous!
It's great!
"Nature is beautiful at its most violent and chaotic. Embrace the wildness, in the storm and in yourself. And meditate heavily with aid of Johnny Walker. You've got it right. Let it all keep turning."
(Raoul Duke)

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

A Sumatra Sling?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Palmwine Drunkard

Badfellow wrote:A Sumatra Sling?
Definitely an improvement on a Singapore Sling!

Those are truly nasty without bite.

When I first ordered a Singapore Sling in Singapore, my barmaid told me: "This won't be you're kind of drink"!

She knew from my prior drinking habits, that I wouldn't like it.

Even Mrs. Palmy didn't care for the Sling!

In any case, no comparison!

Sweet fresh juice cut with lime and Vodka or Rum.

(The Sling is a different Thing!)

So much better!

Hey mister Badfellow!

Join us someday!

Peace and Love to you all!
(Raoul Duke)

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Slings are nasty... even in the Raffles Long Bar where they were first concocted. I've been playing around with juices lately and find that I like guava/orange/mango with vodka alot. Of course the papaya/pineapple wasn't bad either. But the best is still the homemade limeades. You can do all kinds of wonderful drinks; some even with gin.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

Palmwine Drunkard

Gin McGuinness wrote:Slings are nasty... even in the Raffles Long Bar where they were first concocted. I've been playing around with juices lately and find that I like guava/orange/mango with vodka alot. Of course the papaya/pineapple wasn't bad either. But the best is still the homemade limeades. You can do all kinds of wonderful drinks; some even with gin.
But no one has tried tamarind but me?

It is so delicious, especially with lime and sugar, but perhaps too local, hmmm?

Cheers!
(Raoul Duke)

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

I found some frozen tamarind pulp today, thinking of you Sir Palmwine, at a shiny new mercado on the southside of town. Tonight feels like a martini night, but tomorrow I bust out the blender and go native, or-uhhh ex-pat, or, well, you know. Tamarind ho!

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Badfellow wrote:I found some frozen tamarind pulp today, thinking of you Sir Palmwine, at a shiny new mercado on the southside of town. Tonight feels like a martini night, but tomorrow I bust out the blender and go native, or-uhhh ex-pat, or, well, you know. Tamarind ho!
When the f*ck was he knighted?!!?!?!? BESIDES the fact that he's an AMERICAN!!!!!! sorry... just came back from the NZ/OZ Bledisoe cup.... I'm a little trashed.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Gin McGuinness wrote: When the f*ck was he knighted?!!?!?!? BESIDES the fact that he's an AMERICAN!!!!!! sorry... just came back from the NZ/OZ Bledisoe cup.... I'm a little trashed.
He's got a title and everything, given by me after his historic invasion of Slingawhore. But I believe the two of you are something to the effect of Co-Commanders to the Forces of His Royal Drunkenness FKR in the South East Asian Sector.

And on the subject of these drinkies we all seem to enjoy, a nice dry gin and that homemade limeade you speak of is amongst the best of the best. The two are a sublime compliment to each other made trifecta by a balmy evening.

There's a question here, but I think it deserves a seperate topic here in the Area 51 Drink Lab.

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Badfellow wrote:
Gin McGuinness wrote: When the f*ck was he knighted?!!?!?!? BESIDES the fact that he's an AMERICAN!!!!!! sorry... just came back from the NZ/OZ Bledisoe cup.... I'm a little trashed.
He's got a title and everything, given by me after his historic invasion of Slingawhore. But I believe the two of you are something to the effect of Co-Commanders to the Forces of His Royal Drunkenness FKR in the South East Asian Sector.

And on the subject of these drinkies we all seem to enjoy, a nice dry gin and that homemade limeade you speak of is amongst the best of the best. The two are a sublime compliment to each other made trifecta by a balmy evening.

There's a question here, but I think it deserves a seperate topic here in the Area 51 Drink Lab.
Are you married? Attached? Need a roommate? I think that's brewtiful!

Palmwine Drunkard

Badfellow wrote:I found some frozen tamarind pulp today, thinking of you Sir Palmwine, at a shiny new mercado on the southside of town. Tonight feels like a martini night, but tomorrow I bust out the blender and go native, or-uhhh ex-pat, or, well, you know. Tamarind ho!
So tell us what you think when you try it!
I seriously recommend lime juice too, it makes it mouth-watering.

I await your appraisal!

Try it with rum!!

Cheers!
(Raoul Duke)

Palmwine Drunkard

Gin McGuinness wrote:
When the f*ck was he knighted?!!?!?!? BESIDES the fact that he's an AMERICAN!!!!!! sorry... just came back from the NZ/OZ Bledisoe cup.... I'm a little trashed.
But I make no strategic decisions without the explicit concurrence of
My Lady of the Tropics.

Peace and Love to you all!
(Raoul Duke)

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Palmwine Drunkard wrote:

I await your appraisal!

Try it with rum!!

Cheers!
Results (with minimal hangover):

*Tamarind pulp/juice + Bombay Gin, shaken, w/ Tomatillo Garnish (strange but good)

Tamarind + SJ Rum and wedge of lime, on the rocks (ding, ding, ding! we have a winner!!!) A good suggestion on your part.

Still, my friend, I have a weakness for the pineapple. There's something narcotic to me about the flavor. That and fresh strawberries, they actually make me feel high in a sense. Oh, and good dark chocolate. And booze, and a couple of other things as well.

Wasshail!

Palmwine Drunkard

Badfellow wrote:
Palmwine Drunkard wrote:

I await your appraisal!

Try it with rum!!

Cheers!
Results (with minimal hangover):

*Tamarind pulp/juice + Bombay Gin, shaken, w/ Tomatillo Garnish (strange but good)

Tamarind + SJ Rum and wedge of lime, on the rocks (ding, ding, ding! we have a winner!!!) A good suggestion on your part.

Still, my friend, I have a weakness for the pineapple. There's something narcotic to me about the flavor. That and fresh strawberries, they actually make me feel high in a sense. Oh, and good dark chocolate. And booze, and a couple of other things as well.

Wasshail!

Hmmm...
Perhaps tamarind, pineapple, lime and rum / vodka?

I'll try this next chance I get, and report back.

Thanks for indulging in a "strange and bitter fruit"!

Cheers!
(Raoul Duke)

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

Palmwine Drunkard wrote:Ah, c'mon!
Be adventurous!
It's great!
had my computer not blown up, i'd have responded to this much sooner. i endorse the use of tamarind juice/tamarindo for all purposes, particularly those involving cocktails. i've mixed tamarindo with several things, vodka and rum included, but never thought to add lime. i usually don't make drinks at home that include garnishes or fruit juices, and not because i don't enjoy them, but because i'm too much of a lazy ass to make anything that involves slicing, or squeezing or shaking. i take a glass and pour booze into it, and sometimes i get adventurous and pour in a non-alcoholic liquid as well. so on that note, going to the mexican store for some tamarind is now officially on my list of errands, so i'll probably try this in about 3 weeks.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow