Drink Of The Week 09/19

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Barca

Drink Of The Week 09/19

Post by Barca »

All Drunkards like to drink. Hell, everyone likes to drink. It's a fucking glorious gift from the powers that be. As a hardcore atheist, the only time I contemplate the existence of a God is when I'm drinking, when I'm reveling in the mystic elixir. Surely it's impossible that something so divinely inspiring could happen by pure chance. Maybe we simply misunderstand the evolutionary concepts and the semi-random chance of mutation and natural selection is actually part of some sort of inspired march to perfection, lubricated by God's Own Quaker State, Booze.

Sometimes we like to suffer while we drink, and sometimes we want every sip to be as pleasurable as the final destination. Then there are the drinks that bring the pleasure and pain, like masturbating with a cheese grater or getting hit with a brick wrapped in velvet. The Brutal Hammers of our world, if you will. With all due acknowledgement and respect to the similar drinks, I bring you the Summer Hammer:

1 part Rum
1 part Red Wine

Chill.

Enjoy.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

I think I can get that done.
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

The prose, and the drink, are poetry, Mr. Lounge.
like tears in rain

Shonus Andronicus
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Shonus Andronicus »

Sounds very good. It will happen.

Unfortunately I am a rum noob. Could you point me in the direction of something other than Captain Morgan, that isn't too dark (dark rum makes me kind of want to cut my tongue off). I've been meaning to try Sailor Jerry for a long time, but I haven't found it yet.
An ambulance can only go so fast.

-Neil Young

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Shone wrote: I've been meaning to try Sailor Jerry for a long time, but I haven't found it yet.
Look harder, Shone. The Sailor is abound.

(Surdyk's @ University & Hennepin SE will have ample stocks of SJ handles/1.75 L for the absurdly reasonable price of $24.99, yarrrrgh!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Shonus Andronicus

Holy shit. I'll have to hit it up.

This 21 drinking age shit is so inconvenient.

-Neil Young

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

Holy hat, I had one of those tonight, and didn't even read this until now. I'm lookin at you Barca, we're eye to eye and I don't stand that tall.

Jimmy&Guinney

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

To those who are about to die, we salute you.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

Dirty Lou
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Dirty Lou »

Oh, great. You choose a maddeningly simple concoction, based off the Brutal Hammer no less, which happens to coincide with Cec being out of town for the weekend. Plus, it's a payday week.

On the plus side, a drink like that should turn the weekend into 15 minute blur.

liquor&poker
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by liquor&poker »

I assume this should be done with a clear (white? Is that the term?) rum?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

liquor&poker wrote:I assume this should be done with a clear (white? Is that the term?) rum?
It's subjective to taste, I think. But my opinion is that white/light rums lack soul and, more obviously, age. Dark rum wraps the brick in a bit more velvet, to use a Barcaism.

Summer is drawing to an abrupt close in the Land of Sky Blue Waters. Once the mercury dips below freezing point, I will try this summer recipe heated and possibly mulled as a variation. Hot VinoGrogg.

liquor&poker

Post by liquor&poker »

Badfellow wrote:
liquor&poker wrote:I assume this should be done with a clear (white? Is that the term?) rum?
It's subjective to taste, I think. But my opinion is that white/light rums lack soul and, more obviously, age. Dark rum wraps the brick in a bit more velvet, to use a Barcaism.
Well yeah, sure, but is a dark rum gonna go well with the wine?

Shonus Andronicus

Sweet Lou11 wrote:Oh, great. You choose a maddeningly simple concoction, based off the Brutal Hammer no less, which happens to coincide with Cec being out of town for the weekend. Plus, it's a payday week.

On the plus side, a drink like that should turn the weekend into 15 minute blur.
Damn, I love the way you think. Nice new av, btw.

-Neil Young

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

liquor&poker wrote:
Badfellow wrote:
Well yeah, sure, but is a dark rum gonna go well with the wine?
That's the idea, at least. The right dark rum with the right red wine. Captain Whoregans spiced puke prolly ain't going to strike a vibe with Cab or anything else. On the other hand, Myers or even SJ with the right inexpensive (but good) dry, red wine. The Bejoulais Nouveau is out soon.

Light rum isn't true rum in my eyes. A hurried and modern bastardization of the venerable cane spirit, it survives upon the worn coat-tails of mixers such as Coca-Cola and other pre-packaged concoctions of over acidified, over sweetened garbage. It is suited to use in such drinks where the spirits themselves are but a minor participant and should be designated for consumption by lightweight tourists and college co-ed cheerleaders.

Light rum is not the devil. Dark rum is the devil, and he is one hip motherfucker.

Post by ***** »

Recommend a West Coast Cab, Sauvignion, or Chianti and some Myer's, Whaler's, or Pusser's. The light rum isn't gonna hack it. If you're feeling extravegant, the Ron Rico 8 year rum is quite good and would do well with a Bordeaux or other sophistimicated French varietal. Recommend against Beaujolais Nouveau because it is so spritely that it likely would meld well with a good, dark rum. Beaujolais is like cheese curds: squeaky fresh and best enjoyed in excess.