For Vermouth

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

For Vermouth

Post by steved2112 »

I've recently settled upon what I will call my personal perfect Martini. Girlie bought me a bartender's guide, and in it is a basic Martini recipe:

1.5 oz Gin
.5 oz Dry Vermouth
Shake gently with ice
Pour over olives

My personal fine tuning: Three olives with no stuffing, and double the Gin and Vermouth. Serve in a chilled Martini Glass if possible.

I love it.

I feel as though I have graduated from the in-and-out Martini, where the Vermouth is like a photo of a long lost brother adorning the wall at a gathering you know he will never attend. I like chilled Gin, and if you add olives that's kinda Martini-like I guess. But without noticeable Vermouth content, it's Gin to me. To eschew the Vermouth seems fairly chic right now, and if that's preference then so be it. To each their own. But I decided to allow more Vermouth - a full quarter according to the above recipe - and I found that my Martinis were even more savory for it.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

I'm with you on that Steve. A drink where the gin has only briefly met the vermouth - y'know, at a party or something, perhaps without even shaking hands - is no martini at all. The gin must be the muscled yet sensitive drink making the beast with two backs with the possibly virginal yet well up for it vermouth. That's a tasty martini.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

At first I thought you meant perfect with a capital P, which would be both sweet and dry vermouth.

I love Perfect Vodka Martinis.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Blackneto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Blackneto »

i'm pretty caveman when it comes to martini's

in a Martini glass
toss in one refrigerator automatic ice cube maker cube.
toss in one olive. if it bounces out and hits the floor try again.
pour enough sweet vermouth to raise the liquid level about 1/4 of an inch.
fill the rest with Gin. Preferably Burnett's.
it's all chaff, a striving after the wind.

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

I was reading an article about Martini's in an old Cigar Afficianato magazine last night. I claimed the Martini was an off-shoot of the Manhattan. It also said that the garnish alone was enough to change the name of the drink. That Dry Martini's begin at a 4:1 Gin to Vermouth ratio and end around 10:1.

Martini has an olive or a twist
Gibson has an onion
Franklin two olives
Dickens no olive or twist (get it)

All things considered I'll still take [a] Manhattan.

Here's to Vermouth!
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Cheers. Seems to me that the martini is the little sister of the MANhattan.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Shonus Andronicus
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Shonus Andronicus »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:I'm with you on that Steve. A drink where the gin has only briefly met the vermouth - y'know, at a party or something, perhaps without even shaking hands - is no martini at all. The gin must be the muscled yet sensitive drink making the beast with two backs with the possibly virginal yet well up for it vermouth. That's a tasty martini.
Yeah, so that's like the coolest thing I've ever heard anyone say.
An ambulance can only go so fast.

-Neil Young

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

A martini isn't a mixed drink. It's the end product of Zen ritual.
Be safe everyone.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

i hate vermouth. i'll put a hint of it in simply to call it a martini. I like it exceedingly dry. Dr. P was a witness. he also found a fix if there is too much vermouth infecting the gin. take a cocktail onion and swirl it about for a second. it clears up the vermouth taste for a moment. i like mine with three olives. yum.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

I will admit to not liking mine with olives. I sometimes like a bit of lemon in it though. Sorry.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

maltlicker11

Post by maltlicker11 »

I never knew of the "dickens" - I like the concept but I like olives too.
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:I'm with you on that Steve. A drink where the gin has only briefly met the vermouth - y'know, at a party or something, perhaps without even shaking hands - is no martini at all. The gin must be the muscled yet sensitive drink making the beast with two backs with the possibly virginal yet well up for it vermouth. That's a tasty martini.

:shock: !!!

And here I thought you were sweet, innocent, pure, and wholesome. Now that I know better, I like you even more.
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Mothmanfront wrote:A martini isn't a mixed drink. It's the end product of Zen ritual.
Thanks Meth... I mean "Moth". I need to reinstitute that as my sig again!
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: For Vermouth

Post by Bluto »

steved2112 wrote: But without noticeable Vermouth content, it's Gin to me. To eschew the Vermouth seems fairly chic right now, and if that's preference then so be it.
You're absolutely correct. It's damn hard to get a good amrtini in a bar anymore, because most bartenders will simply wave a bottle of vermouth in the general vacinity of the glass. Seems like the "ultra dry" is the only thing they know how to make. I believe this is a result of inexperienced mixers nto knowing how much vermouth to add, which over time resulted in the dry martini becoming very chic.

Rob
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rob »

Too much vermouth will kill a Martini in the most dreadful way. But too little of it and you'll and up with a nice glass of chilled gin. Which isn't bad, if i'm in the mood, but I usually like a Martini to be Martini. But I am guilty of a bit of blasphemy, since I leave out the garnish. The perfect Martini for me:

6 parts Beefeater gin
1 part Noilly Prat vermouth

Shaken with about 5 icecubes. A pretty firm shake, but not too long. You don't want it to taste like water. Then strain into a chilled Martini glass and take the first sip of that juniper goodness with Frank Sinatra crooning in the background.