Jerry Thomas Bartending Guide from 1862

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Jerry Thomas Bartending Guide from 1862

Post by Badfellow »

If you don't know who Jerry Thomas is, you should. He's largely given credit for the popularization of what we know as the modern cocktail. A bartender at the Planter's Hotel in St. Louis during the mid 1800's, he published a guide which went into wide circulation and is still of influence today. He is also credited for inventing, among other things, the Planter's Punch.

Doing a little morning surf, I ran across this on-line jewel...

In it's entireity, Jerry Thomas' Bartending Guide or How To Mix Drinks from 1862.

Cheers.

F. Sott Blitzedgerald
Self-Imposed Exile
Self-Imposed Exile

Re: Jerry Thomas Bartending Guide from 1862

Post by F. Sott Blitzedgerald »

Vladfellow the Impailer wrote:If you don't know who Jerry Thomas is, you should. He's largely given credit for the popularization of what we know as the modern cocktail. A bartender at the Planter's Hotel in St. Louis during the mid 1800's, he published a guide which went into wide circulation and is still of influence today. He is also credited for inventing, among other things, the Planter's Punch.

Doing a little morning surf, I ran across this on-line jewel...

In it's entireity, Jerry Thomas' Bartending Guide or How To Mix Drinks from 1862.

Cheers.
Great link! I just spent an hour going through the book. Amazing how advanced cocktail culture was in 1862. This cocktail recipe is hilarious:

White Plush
(Use small bar-glass.)
Hand a bottle of Bourbon or rye whiskey to the
customer and let him help himself.
Fill up the glass with fresh milk.
“Drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does.â€

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Nice to see you back, Blitzey. Have a Fishhouse Punch on me.

Thomas, the man was a visionary. He was also a master of blending bitters and was said to keep a dozen varieties on hand. Somewhare out there is his a copy of his recipe book.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ