DOTW 10/24

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Barca

DOTW 10/24

Post by Barca »

I've been reading a lot lately, and, thankfully, I've been reading a lot of my favorite young writer, Jonathan Lethem. In a collection of essays he recently published, he details a disintegrating friendship, concluding the episode with the beautiful and lyrical sentence, "Our friendship became a room we'd both abandoned." Sad, stark, and resonant.

The sentence stayed with me for days for a variety of reasons, some good and some bad, but one, I eventually realized, applied to this forum. For me, Tequila is just such a friend.

Tequila was my third of the Great Liquors. Before I ever drank Vodka or Gin, I drank bottles and bottles of unctuous amber Mexican liquid. At no point was Tequila my favorite booze, but it was more delicious straight than Rum and easier on the throat than my beloved Bourbon. Tequila was the shot of choice to entice non-drinkers, the compromise shot amongst varied serious drinkers, and the joke shot all other times. It was always there, a bit glib in delivery but never truly dishonest.

Every drinker has had his tequila night. For some, it's the one night you swore, "Never again!" For some, it's even the night you meant it. I had such a night that also involved two bottles of Champagne and a keg of Beer. I couldn't even hear the word, "Tequila," for a week without gagging, but that wasn't enough to chase me away.

Eventually, Tequila and I just drifted apart. To say the parting was amicable would be to overemphasize a moment. It's simply that one moment we were in the same room as friends and the next, the room was empty.

Now I have Tequila in an occasional unwilling shot, and a an even less frequent Margarita or Caballo. So I say, give me a minute, turn away, don't read, "Tequila....i'm sorry. I don't know why I haven't called. I never stopped caring, it's just that....i don't know... there were other drinks, and I never stopped thinking of you. I just figured you were okay on your own and if you needed me you'd call. How about we meet later and just...reconnect. Thanks."

DOTW:

Tequila
Twist of Lime
Salt (to taste)

Enjoy
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

GradeALiquorWhore
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by GradeALiquorWhore »

That brings a tear to my eye. Not just because it is beautifully written, but because thinking of drinking tequila makes my eyes water. It also makes my nose run, my stomach lurch, and the bile back up in my throat... I once loved tequila, but it never returned the favor.

It was a doomed relationship from the start.
Everyone should believe in something.... I believe I'll have another drink.

Shot Time
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Shot Time »

Really nice Barca--especially the part about tequila being the "compromise shot," and how everyone has their own tequila story. I for one, have mine:

One afternoon, I decided to "deplete the war chest," as Oggar would say, and I started downing tequila straight from the bottle, around 2 pm.

I woke up around 10 am the next day, to discover the following things:

1. I chucked my cell phone at my friend, who ducked, allowing it to smash against the picket fence.

2. I shaved my own head with a beard trimmer--but not all of it.

Tequila is madness. And since I'm all about the possible, I'm also all about tequila. Oh, and ordering shots of tequila is how I got my name.

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

i'm scared of tequila. not that i buy the "tequila makes me pantsless" spiel, but the memories are too rough. actually, the memories were pleasant and of drinking in mexico, and then [scene missing] happened, and then i woke up in the back seat of my sister's car, my hair wet for some reason. apparently i threw up in it.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

I must respectfully decline on the grounds that my stomach roils at the smell of tequila. Like MOL(W), I have less-than-fun memories with this liquor. Of course, when you're in a Mexican restaurant and that's the only liquor order they understand, I've dropped my standards many times.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

I'll do it. TONIGHT!
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

good choice, Barca

i will have to wait 'til tomorrow to go ahead with this one, as all booze shops here are now shut. bastards.
mine's a pint

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

Holy shit, it's going to be a rough night.

I concur with MOL & the Goose. Lots of bad, bad tequila nights. However, I am determined to follow through with the DOTW challenge this week (at least partially), so I'm thinking I may have to buy a 1/2 pint of tequila and take a taste. I'll make Goose drink some too.

"DC is a toilet. And it needs a good flush." ~ Weatherman

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

Smashley
Souse
Souse

Post by Smashley »

Tequila and I have had our ups and downs but I like where we are now.

Like a childhood friend who used to beat me up time after time, I finally stood up to the challenge and continued to drink directly after a tequila-induced puking session and overpowered my foe with pure alcohol-driven determination. It must have worked because I have yet to regurgitate tequila since. We don't talk or hang out much as we used to, but occasionally we reconnect just to see how things are going...
Its a little bit more than a half-pint less...

Professor Roomie
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Professor Roomie »

Well said. I would like to add that it tastes better if you lick the salt off of a beautiful woman and have her hold the lime in her mouth.
"You people terrify me. You're like some sort of Unholy Trinity of drunken viking maniacs." - Nil

"You know, I'm surprised that someone who looks like the aging love child of Big Bird and Snuffaluffagus would bring physical appearance into this." - Oggar

It dulls pain, makes the sun shine brighter, and makes boring people more interesting.

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

I had my "Tequilla night" and drank not a drop of the stuff for over 10 years. Then my One True Love takes me to a Mexican dive and buys pitchers of Marguaritas, telling the waiter to make them strong. I was so jazzed just sitting across from her and looking into her beautiful blue eyes, a handle of Tequilla wouldn't have had any effect. Ten years after that I still don't know if she wanted to make me uninhibited or make me pass out.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

danger awesome
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by danger awesome »

It's caused me to chunder many a time...

But my fondest tequila-memory (something of a contradiction in terms..) is the time Ryan and myself went clubbing with a blind man...

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

dead_uk wrote:It's caused me to chunder many a time...

But my fondest tequila-memory (something of a contradiction in terms..) is the time Ryan and myself went clubbing with a blind man...
1) Ryan is hot
2) I have GOT to hear this story.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

LadyRed wrote:
dead_uk wrote:It's caused me to chunder many a time...

1) Ryan is hot
2) I have GOT to hear this story.
I recall this story from when Dan was new to the boards. It was actually a really good, heartwarming tale. Perhaps I'll attempt to resurrect it, since I'm drunk, bored and sentimental . . .

P.S. Goose didn't buy any tequila at the candy store, so I have failed at all the D'sOTW this week. Barca, you can spank Goose if you're so inclined. It's his fault.

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

I did a bit of a search but can't find Dan's story. It WAS good, though. I'm sure he'll track it down.