The world's finest martini.

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

ScreamingToast
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

The world's finest martini.

Post by ScreamingToast »

This is the secret family recipe for my favorite martini. It has been passed down for thirteenthousand generations from when my ancestors used glacial ice from the ice age to chill their gin.

You need the following ingredients:

Decent Gin. I prefer Beefeater, but whichever gin you prefer will do.

Vermouth

Bitters

A fresh orange

Ice

Here is how to prepare: First, take a shaker or large glass and fill 2/3 with ice. Pour three generous shots of gin over said ice, the more the merrier. Add about a capful of vermouth, this is a very dry martini and the vermouth is just there because it bought season tickets. Add a small dash of bitters, just enough to add a slight tint to the drink.

STIR the concoction. Do not shake. James Bond is a fuckwit when it comes to martinis. Stir the drink until your shaker is ice cold on the outside then strain into a glass. Ice is your enemy, do not allow any into your glass.

Now, for the secret touch, cut a thin strip of skin off of the orange, you do not want any fruit, the point is to smell the orange but not taste it. Take your orange skin and twist it over your glass, bringing out the oil in the orange's skin, then drop the skin in the glass.

Congratulations, if you have followed these directions, sitting before you is one of the finest martinis the world has ever known. Drink up, that thing isn't a fuckin' decoration!

Slainte!
Drinking is my divine mandate.

"No... No, Mother, I have not been drinking...
No... No...
These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me...
No, they didn't give me a chaser."

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

I heartily endorse this thread.

I'm not a fan of Orange, per se, but the written eloquence, technique (stirring), and gin of choice of (Beefeaters™) inspires me to give it a 5-olive rating.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

ohhhhh I concur with this thread! But never orange, I'm picky, please substitute lime and South gin.... Possibly Miller's but definitely Plymouth Navy strength.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

ScreamingToast
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by ScreamingToast »

Gin McGuinness wrote:ohhhhh I concur with this thread! But never orange, I'm picky, please substitute lime and South gin.... Possibly Miller's but definitely Plymouth Navy strength.
I've tried it with lime, lemon and olive. With most any other drink lime would be the way to go, but the experts would agree, with this particular beverage orange is the way forward.
Drinking is my divine mandate.

"No... No, Mother, I have not been drinking...
No... No...
These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me...
No, they didn't give me a chaser."

maltlicker11
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by maltlicker11 »

I got a theory that the orange zest somehow interacts with the orange that is in certain bitters and makes it yummier.

bye
Last edited by maltlicker11 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

The only time I had bitter orange zest was after this one night with Ton....I mean Mayhe....I mean a guy I know.
I'll miss you, pallie.

berne
Souse
Souse

Post by berne »

In techinique I can find no fault...

But bitters and orange peel?

In a Martini?

Are you mad?

I'd drink one.