Buckfast and red bull

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Buckfast and red bull

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Non-Brits are probably as well to ignore this for now.

Not tried it myself, but the word is that copious Scots are combining these two! As if the commotion lotion wasn't bad enough itself!

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Buckfast and red bull

Post by Labatt_50 »

I'm not a Brit, but Buckfast is never a good idea. I don't know how accurate it is, but I heard in places like Larkhall that they have buckfast on tap. If monks make it, why do so many Rangers types guzzle it?

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Yep. Larkhall, Coatbridge - a few places across Lanarkshire - are said to serve Buckfast on tap.

Great mystery of a drink to me. Taste isn't great at all, but a friend swears by it as a cure for the cold. How's that for a hot toddy?

I'd say that the vast majority of people who drink it will know next to nothing of its origins!

redshift
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by redshift »

I like breakfast and Vodka Redbull. Does it count?
The What?? I hate signature images!

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

Elvislution wrote:Yep. Larkhall, Coatbridge - a few places across Lanarkshire - are said to serve Buckfast on tap.

Great mystery of a drink to me. Taste isn't great at all, but a friend swears by it as a cure for the cold. How's that for a hot toddy?

I'd say that the vast majority of people who drink it will know next to nothing of its origins!
Yeah it's a weird drink, it doesn't make much sense to me since it isn't really that cheap, but I just figured it was a west coast thing, like drinking bovril.

slushfund

Post by slushfund »

From Wikipedia:

Aside from 'Buckie', other nicknames include 'Tonic', 'Commotion Lotion', 'Buckaneer', 'Vino d'Jaikie, 'Wreck-the-hoose Juice', 'Tonyak', 'Yak', 'Torture Tee', 'Finest', 'Spice Weasel's Blood', 'Buckfizzle', 'Buckan-Bronco', 'Fast', 'The Most Genuine', 'Most Delicious', 'Most Legit', 'Delengis', 'Buckshweng', 'Fuckfast', 'Norwegian's Putrid Potion', 'Ape Juice/Jengoose', 'Kash's Finest' and 'Lurgan Champagne'

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

slushfund wrote: 'Wreck-the-hoose Juice'
My favourite.

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

slushfund wrote:'Lurgan Champagne'
Haha, Lurgan what a lovely town...to run quickly away from.

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Considering theres alot of fortified wines that are probably nicer and cheaper that get you just as wrecked i fail to see the point. I must now purchase a bottle and try and solve this mystery through trial.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

#Buckfast wine,
We drink it all the time,
And I feel fine,
Drinkin' the Buckfast wine!#

the Buckie is grand, sure how could 'tonic' wine do you any harm? i did hear that some Scots like to SodaStream their Wine to give it a fizz but i've never tried it myself
mine's a pint

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Soda stream....aint seen one of them for years.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Mixed these two in work the other day - at the manager's insistence.

On paper, it sounds awful. Honestly, though, it's a strangely pleasant mix.

There. I just used "Buckfast" and "pleasant" in the same sentence.

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

slushfund wrote:From Wikipedia:

Aside from 'Buckie', other nicknames include 'Tonic', 'Commotion Lotion', 'Buckaneer', 'Vino d'Jaikie, 'Wreck-the-hoose Juice', 'Tonyak', 'Yak', 'Torture Tee', 'Finest', 'Spice Weasel's Blood', 'Buckfizzle', 'Buckan-Bronco', 'Fast', 'The Most Genuine', 'Most Delicious', 'Most Legit', 'Delengis', 'Buckshweng', 'Fuckfast', 'Norwegian's Putrid Potion', 'Ape Juice/Jengoose', 'Kash's Finest' and 'Lurgan Champagne'
'Norwegian's Putrid Potion'!!
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Negromancer wrote:
slushfund wrote:From Wikipedia:

'Norwegian's Putrid Potion'!!
I should include a bottle of Buckfast in your "order". You'll be able to eschew Norwegian assault laws by blaming the Scotsman who sent you the booze.

It's win-win!

Glasgae Sam
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Glasgae Sam »

I know two bars in Glasgow which have Buckie 'on tap', and my friends and I once drank one of those bars out of their entire stock. Let me be very clear - Buckfast is utterly howling. It tastes like a mix between cough syrup and blackcurrant cordial. And not the good cough syrup, the sugar free variety. I tried it purely out of curiosity to see why it's the iconic drink of the local shiterags, and I honestly don't get it. It tastes awful, it's surprisingly expensive and even after a dozen doubles I was struggling to see the point. For the money I can't understand why anyone with half a brain would chose Buckie. Then again, the operative part of that sentence is 'half a brain'.

I can however see why Red Bull might work with it..... it would be a bit like cider and blackcurrant. A combination of sharp and sweet. And mildly like vomit. So it would probably improve 'the tonic', but as the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd. I'll take my Red Bull with vodka, and since we're in a recession let's make that a cheap knock-off energy drink and save a few pennies.
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter,
Sermons and soda water the day after.

www.drunchblog.com <- it's full of pictures of epic breakfasts made by me and my friends. That's about it.