which spirits taste better when you filter them?

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Drednik
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

which spirits taste better when you filter them?

Post by Drednik »

What tje fuck does bouban taste like filtered. The stuff I can afford has brown sludge at the bottom Im sure thats a part of the reaon i stick to scotch.

I have been told vodka gets better filtered and also wine... not sure about the wine thing tho.
Why?

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: which spirits taste better when you filter them?

Post by Chimneyfish »

Is this a joke?

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

I've head cheap vodka can taste smoother if filtered.

I've used coffee filters when I infused moonshine. The clear and original moonshine before infusion tasted medicinal, I got rid of it with the herbs, but it got much smoother with a few rounds in the filter. If you got all sorts of gush and oils floating around in it, then it might do the trick.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

There was a discussion on filtering a few years ago.
http://www.drunkard.com/bbs/viewtopic.p ... lit=filter

The filter of choice seems to be
http://www.graykangaroo.com/home.htm

Word is that the Gray Kangaroo does filter out traces of methanol and other impurites, thus improving cheap vodka.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

My friend bought one of those Kangaroo filters and we did a taste-test. We compared 5 o clock vodka to Grey Goose and compared Ten High before and after filtering.

We did several comparisons, I believe at 1x filtering, 3x and 5x. Both the Ten High and the 5 o clock got smoother with filtering. The Ten High also lost some of its color, leading me to believe that it has food coloring in it because it's not true whiskey, but a blend of whiskey and grain alcohol. I don't know if the filter can take out sulfites but if it can it would make wine better also.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619