Highest proof white liquor available in CA?

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Pithecanthropus
Tippler
Tippler

Highest proof white liquor available in CA?

Post by Pithecanthropus »

I want to prepare a strong drink flavored with herbs. Any very high proof liquor would work for this, and in fact I have done it successfully with Bacardi 151. However, this product is a typical brownish rum color which, when combined with the greenish hue of the herbs results in a drink with a hideous color. A completely clear liquor would be better, like Everclear, but this isn't legally available in California.

Does anyone know of any alternative? Is there such a thing as white Bacardi 151? I know there are some vodkas that get up to 90- and 100-proof, but I've never seen anything that approaches 151-proof, other than Bacardi. And I can't just use regular old vodka because 80-proof isn't strong enough.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Highest proof white liquor available in CA?

Post by Chimneyfish »

You can get 151 Everclear in California. You can also get the Californian version of Diesel, which is right around 151 proof and clear.

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

Use 2 bottles of 100 proof vodka and you'll have 200 proof?
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

Pithecanthropus
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Chimneyfish wrote:You can get 151 Everclear in California. You can also get the Californian version of Diesel, which is right around 151 proof and clear.
Well, I hope you're not making this part up (per your sig). Either one of these sounds like they'd be perfect. We're getting a BevMo in my area so I'll ask them about it.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Where do you live that they're building a new BevMo? When I left the company not long ago they were far from having any new stores in the works. The CEO jumped ship right before I did.

They sell Everclear but not Diesel.

Mr. Von Rotten
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Mr. Von Rotten »

Chimneyfish wrote:You can get 151 Everclear in California. You can also get the Californian version of Diesel, which is right around 151 proof and clear.
p
It sucks you still can't get the real deal and have to cross state lines for it. Remember Purple Passion? Still trying to perfect the Pruno thing though.
"What did the leaper say to the hooker?... Keep the tip."