The Homemade Thread

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

The Homemade Thread

Post by zimne_piwo »

I recently ran across the recipe for a very simple, yet award-winning apple wine recipe that's had very wide acceptance among the homebrewing community as a top notch example of a niche product. It's a dry apple wine with an origin in Germany. Apparently there is nothing like this for sale in the US. It has about an 8% ABV, so it's along the lines of a strong beer. It's dry, and reveals a lot about the quality of the apples in the taste.

Tree Top apple juice is recommended because it's pasteurized and has no preservatives.

Six weeks to ferment to drinkability, another six weeks to improved drinkability, another six to fully mature, and another six to decline a little before refrigeration is necessary.

From what I've heard, it's very easy to mix up a five gallon batch in an evening. Tonight I went to WalMart and bought a couple different kinds of apple juice, sorted out a couple of yeasts to use for the project, and located a couple pounds of sugar to make some apple wine.

I'll update as things progress.

Jim
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: The Homemade Thread

Post by Jim »

Good luck and happy returns.

Some of the best beer, wine and liquor I've drank have been homemade.

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by zimne_piwo »

Well, it's put up and in a secondary to ferment. It's about a week old now, and I can smell the dry appliness of it if I'm in the room. Nice smell, really. I'm planning on cracking into it around Thanksgiving, and making a hot cider with cinnamon to warm up those cold, dark, rainy nights. My secondary fermenters are just plastic juice jugs, food grade. The highest the alcohol percentage gets in that setup is about 12% so I'm not worried about using plastic.

I got some good shine off that run. Good stuff, I think. I like moonshine much more than vodka. It's a softer, smoother drink, a little sweeter, just all around better.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

awesome I can make a ass kick peach wine and brandy and ever better blackberry wine and brandy

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

I couple of good moonshine recipes of the from coppermountainstill .com

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by beerkegbilly »

beerkegbilly wrote:I couple of good moonshine recipes of the from coppermountainstill .com

I'm coppermoonshinestill.com

Mayhems
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Mayhems »

I've brewed Kombucha, with an ABV of around 6-7.