Variations on the Arnold Palmer

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Variations on the Arnold Palmer

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

About a month ago, I've finally discovered the Arnold Palmer (for those still not in the know: Half lemonade, half iced tea). I know Arizona's got a tea out there with Arnold's name on it, but it only comes in Lite, so I make them myself. One sunday night, the gas-n-go I was in was out of Minute Maid Lemonade, and the only thing close to it was Lemon-Lime Gatorade. What the hell, it was only about 80 cents. I found that it wasn't half-bad, really. Kind of a drier version of the Arnold. I decided to call it the Tiger Woods, after his association with Gatorade. Well, actually, I call it Tiger Woods (pre-scandal). I thought what I need to call it Tiger Woods (post-scandal) was to just add some vodka to it, but now I'm not entirely sure. Would gin's botanicals mix well with tea and lemon? Would some decent cheap bourbon work as well?
Last edited by NightShiftCharlie on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Variations on the Arnold Palmer

Post by Wingman »

bourbon is generally best unmixed, imo.

have you tried the sweet tea vodka? pour yerself a pint, splash some lemonade in it, and there you go. ahnold palmy. also, it's good with a splash of pineapple and squeeze of lemon.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Actually, I was referring to the Tiger Woods (pre-scandal), with the lemonade replaced by Lemon-Lime Gatorade. Sorry 'bout that.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I love Arnold Palmers. The one in the can is way too sweet. So is making one with sweet tea vodka, though I've done it before. Usually though if I'm drinking a Palmer it's because I can't or am not drinking alcohol.

Your Tiger Woods name reminds me. A Red Headed Slut is jager, peach and cranberry.

What do you call a Red Headed Slut with a little Coke?

Lindsay Lohan. ;-)
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Vodka Tiger Woods (Post-scandal)

I got some iced tea and Gatorade on payday, so I decided to start with what I considered to be the back up Tiger Woods (Post-scandal) recipe. I took out my trusty Tervis Tumbler (if you don't have one, a highball or iced tea glass wil work, too), poured in an ounce and a half of Smirnoff, then filled it up around the halfway mark with Lemon-Lime Gatorade, then filled it the rest of the way with Lipton Pure Leaf sweetened iced tea. The Verdict: Very much like the first Tiger (Pre-scandal), a bit drier than your usual Arnold Palmer, with the added slight cooling effect (at least that what it seems to me) of the Smirnoff.

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Gin Tiger Woods (Post-scandal)

When I first posted this thread, I wondered how gins botanicals would work with the tea and the lemon-lime flavor of the Gatorade. I just had to find out for myself, so after finishing off the vodka Tiger Post, I rinsed out the Tervis Tumbler, poured in an ounce and a half of Tanqueray, and then added the same amount of Gatorade and tea as the vodka one.
The Verdict: I needn't have worried, for it went swimmingly. The three flavors were working in harmony. Easily the most drinkable so far.

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Rum Tiger Woods (Post-scandal)

A little later on, after rinsing out my tumbler, I looked at my liquor cabinet, saw my bottle of Bacardi white, and decided, "What the hell?" In poured an ounce and a half of it, followed by the Lemon-Lime Gatorade and tea.
The Verdict: It works. Maybe not as well as the gin Tiger Post, but it's still drinkable. There you have it; a great summertime recipe that works well with gin, rum or vodka. I just wished I hadn't waited till December to try it, but for those of you Southern Hemisphere posters, it's just in time. Let me know what you think.