Drinks For The Winter

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Tmurtaugh
Tippler
Tippler

Drinks For The Winter

Post by Tmurtaugh »

What are your best drinks for the cold weather? Winter seasoned beers are fine--Sam Adams Winter Lager is ok--but they don't really
hit the spot. I like the classic Irish Coffee, and tea with cinnamon, lemon, and an ounce of bourbon. Red Wine is also very warming to the
system. I appreciate your ideas.

bigLee
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: Drinks For The Winter

Post by bigLee »

summer here in australi now, but spiced wine is great in winter... red wine and herbs spices and shit, i don't do it but i'm sure theres good recipes out there.

also, guiness (or guiness and kaluha if you don;t like guiness) always warms me up'

here's to winter! *drinkk a vodka coke*

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Brandy is good. Also randomly putting whiskey in hot drinks of various types is a general winter thing.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

okay, whisk(e)y is year-round. period. but i admit it is more...essential in the winter.

in summer, in Oz, is VB. lots of it. repeat.

but hey, here's this beer i've just found, supposedly the best beer in the world. and i must say, it is a good cold-weather beer: trappistes rochefort 10. men's journal said it'd be $8-10 US, but i found it in mah favorite candy store (i mean, bubba rosenthal is the manager. where else in the fucking world will you find a jew named "bubba?!?") gpt $6US adf change. well, it's only 11 oz. but i say t's worth it.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Rochefort 10 is amazing winter beer,

fuck it just amazing beer but more so at winter. Accompanied with a nice warming brandy on the side.

Tmurtaugh
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Tmurtaugh »

Great ideas. I'm going to try all of them, particularly the Rochefort 10, with a brandy. Keep 'em coming.

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

I like dark beer, like good Brown Ales in the winter. Newcastle, Sam Adams, and some of my local Cape Cod breweries like Cisco and Cape Cod Beer make some amazing stuff. Whiskey, brandy and red wine are excellent in the winter. I was out looking for deer during shotgun season in some 20 degree weather this past week, freezing my butt off to no avail. When i got home, I'd pour myself a nice scotch and crack a Newcastle, get the woodstove crankin... that's a good feeling.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

A brewery local to me does a good dark beer in the winter called tower of strength, its almost thick in consistency and bittersweet and warming. You can feel it sticking calories to your ribs to keep you warm (and at 7.5% its a lovely rosie alcoholic glow as well).

At a german market in town they were serving up hot mulled still cider, now thats a treat as well. Its like a hot alcoholic liquid dessert. Pity all they had beer wise was cold lager that wasn't impressive or warming.

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

Oh yeah, Gonzo, Mulled Cider is sooooo good! One of my roommates in college used to make mean batches of that stuff.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Hoping to get paid before the market goes so I can have a few mugs of it, seems like a great idea.

I love cider, especially scrumpy, its nice with brandy in for winter purposes.

Tmurtaugh
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Tmurtaugh »

Just returned from the bar. They didn't have the Rochefort 10, crap. But they were featuring Samuel Smith Winter Ale, brewed in England, which was tasty. Going to the beer store this week to get the Rochefort 10. Yeah Fizz, homemade Cider is good, but I never liked that Woodchuck Cider bars have on tap.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

bigLee wrote:summer here in australi now, but spiced wine is great in winter... red wine and herbs spices and shit, i don't do it but i'm sure theres good recipes out there.

also, guiness (or guiness and kaluha if you don;t like guiness) always warms me up'

here's to winter! *drinkk a vodka coke*
Mulled Wine Recipe
Mulled Wine

TIME/SERVINGS

Makes: 1 drink

Buy Now

INGREDIENTS

* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 5 ounces red wine
* Dash of bitters
* Pinch each of nutmeg and cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat all ingredients in a saucepan until just under a boil. Cool slightly; then serve in a punch cup or mug.

Booyarr!
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

Captain Gonzo's request for a White Russian in another thread gave me a couple of ideas. First, could you make one with warm milk? The next idea is for a variation of the White Russian, but with chocolate milk (Russian Mocha? Adult Chocolate MIlk?). I'll have to test it next weekend.

[quote="bigLee"summer here in australi now,/quote]
Great! You're just in time to try my Tiger Woods (Post-scandal, see my "Variations on the Arnold Palmer" thread)
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

One of my "at home" drinks in college was a white russian made with chocolate milk. REAL easy-drinking ;)

I've also been known to forgo cream altogether and use Bailey's. Lousy non-alcoholic mixers, who needs em?
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

I like peppermint schnapps it minty like snow fall outside. Yukon jack snake bites is good

vodka is also good like the Russian winter nights.Gin is good to it like snow cover pine tree. jager is good on dark cold storming nights

I like hot chocolate and a shot of brandy.A hazelnut latte and a shot of a whiskey or some amarett