KARSK, the mudwater of life

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

KARSK, the mudwater of life

Post by Negromancer »

KARSK, motherlover! Do you drink it?

From Lappland to Lindesnes, variations of this sordid horror of a cocktail has roamed the moors like some heathen beast through the ages. Beloved and enjoyed by many fiddlers, drunkards, farmhands, workers and fishermen as much as it is loathed and execrated by mothers, widdows, tender maidens and the priestly castes.

Karsk - an intepretation of a sound not meant for the simple organs and instruments of human speech. Perhaps more consistently understood as a guttural noise than a proper name. The drink of choice for any true man with hair on his chest, and the official cocktail of Northern middle-Norway where the tribe of the Trønders live.

Pictured above: Trøndic tribal warrior, soothsayer and witchdoctor Åge Aleksandersen.

To the simpleminded and dim-witted it is simply booze and coffee, perhaps with a little sugar to taste. But to the true connoisseur it should be coffee as black as the plague that almost eradicated our entire population, mixed with the finest and strongest moonshine preferably at 96% ABV. Of course, for wimps without connections vodka will do fine.

The ceremony of mixing of the two ingredients is done with the finesse of a japanese tea ritual: It is said you are to drop a coin to the bottom of a ceramic mug or any other manly piece of drinking ware, then pour your coffee 'till the coin disappears. Once this is done you must pour the holy spirits and not stop before the coin reappears. Just try it, you wimps!

Du blir itj' BARSK ut'n KARSK
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: KARSK, the mudwater of life

Post by DeeboCools »

Wow, I love the coin measurment method, cause it perfectly balances the darkness of the coffee with the booze. I will have to try this.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

WANT.....seriously that sounds good.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

To the lager swilling fairy majority, karsk is indeed a grim affair. Alas they have forgotten that all our folk culture for centuries was more or less centered around bargaining with the devil. Karsk is Satans way of saying he is our buddy.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I seem to remember my grandad doing this...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

does sound pretty tasty
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

What is hjemmerbrent and where can I get some?
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."