The wonders of hombrew

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Skot Eleventeen
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

well i did it ...

Post by Skot Eleventeen »

.... I ordered all the equipment for homebrewing ... this is either gona be awsum or a disaster ....

and i found a great trick to use standard sankey kegs, so my beer will be on tap ... with no reworking of the kegerator to use the standard homebrew cornelius kegs.
"... A revolution without dancing ... is a revolution not worth having..." -V

"If you drink a quart of Bourbon every week for 5200 weeks, you'll live to be 100" ~ bathroom wall, Hanszen College, Rice University, 1968

Saturn
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Saturn »

You could get lucky and have an awesome disaster. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing.

You gonna share your keggging technique with us? Or is that part of the possible impending disaster?
I Give Thanks For Inspiration It Guides My Mind Along The Way
A Lot Of People Get Jealous, They're Talking About Me
But That's Just 'Cause They Haven't Got A Thing To Say

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Good job, Skot.

Several years ago I brewed with friends for about a year and a half. It's always fun and never a total "disaster", and the best part is that the final product, no matter what happens to it, can't kill you. I've only ever bottled, but I had friends who went straight to kegs with great success.

Good luck!!
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

dude, are you ever going to send me that link to cool discounts on calls? some of these folks need a $ break for DDing.... and btw, cheers on your home brewing thingy.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

Skot Eleventeen

Gin McGuinness wrote:dude, are you ever going to send me that link to cool discounts on calls? some of these folks need a $ break for DDing.... and btw, cheers on your home brewing thingy.

thanks

http://www.callingcards.com

"If you drink a quart of Bourbon every week for 5200 weeks, you'll live to be 100" ~ bathroom wall, Hanszen College, Rice University, 1968

Skot Eleventeen

Saturn wrote:You could get lucky and have an awesome disaster. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing.

You gonna share your keggging technique with us? Or is that part of the possible impending disaster?

this little product is the secret to using regular beer kegs at home

http://kegman.net/keg_kit.htm

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Belgian Home Brew

Post by peetie44 »

A music patron of mine, Derek, stopped by the house with his wife and gave me 24 bottles of his yearly home brew. It's modeled on the basic properties of Duvel and uses only the traditional hops, barley, yeast and water. Derek brews all his beer in the late fall (Oct/Nov) and bottles it himself, using Duvel bottles. Abv varies slightly from year to year, but is @8.5 to 9%.

This beer has a lighter, more citrus/woody, less-sugary flavor than Duvel and I definitely prefer it in comparison.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Belgian Home Brew

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

What a thoughtful gift.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

sounds lovely. Make sure and remember to give the bottles back to him. It's the bane of homebrewers that bottles always disappear
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

It's great to taste the handiwork of a craftsman.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

The Limey wrote:It's great to taste the handiwork of a craftsman.
And we never get to taste this one... this aggression will not stand man.... peetie send the wort mix and all will be forgiven, man. C'mon the rug tied the whole room together. If i had this and some contact with the original brewer I could home brew it here... and let those willing to make the trip to the east coast suck sum suds.

Oh who am I kidding... I homebrew... anyone wants to stop by... give me enough notice and you are welcome.

*edit* a true Purity Law recipe that is straight tits would be ... well... tits!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

GinMcG
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by GinMcG »

We've been sipping on a case of märzen that I brewed on Boxing Day; DAMN fine beer! In two weeks, I'll be bottling Honey/Ginger ale and Honey/lemon grass ale and this weekend I'll boil up another märzen and honey dubel. Thank you, mentor GW, for teaching me how to brew!

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

The wonders of hombrew

Post by shawnonious »

Curious if anybody else does homebrew here. I've been doing it once every few months for the past year, and it's really fun. Even before my first drink of homebrew, the process was fun. I'm currently doing a second run on a turbo charged 7% brown ale I worked on back in August (been in a slump lately). This brew has a brown sugar inclusion to kick the ABV, some honey for more pump-up, coffee grounds in the steep because why not?, and hints of vanilla and cinnamon that didn't quite shine through last time.

10/10, fun hobby, would definitely recommend.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: The wonders of hombrew

Post by oldsmartskunk »

I've been making apple wine with my granfather since i was eighteen. Freaking awesome. We would do our annual "sampling" in the basement and get so hammered we couldn't even come up for hours. We made our last batch last year. It should be amazing now. My grandfather is gone, but knowledge he passed down to me is here. I will continue our legacy.