The Bullshot an alternative to The Bloody Mary

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

The Bullshot an alternative to The Bloody Mary

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

This classic mix of beef consomme and vodka has managed to acquire an undeservedly tweedy reputation in Britain. It is often drunk hot, poured from a Thermos on crisp winter walks – the steam rising and mingling with the cloudy breath of walkers holding out their cups for a dose.
But served over cracked ice after dark it is a more dangerous beast. The Bullshot was probably invented in the 50s in the US, by someone with a twisted mind. Meat and alcohol. In a glass. With pepper. Oh yeah, and chilli.

It's Marlon Brando in The Wild One. It's Shane McGowan on an experimental day. In the early 70s, Malcolm McDowell drank it while publicising A Clockwork Orange. He "bundled in against the cold in a leather jacket," recorded one journalist, "[on his face] the beginning of a smile that never quite finished, he sat down and ordered a bullshot – bouillon and vodka."

I first had it in a tiny pub, just off Baker Street, a stone's throw from Regent's Park, on a snowy evening in London in the early 80s. As the vodka flush hit my cheeks, I was momentarily James Dean. And then I caught a glimpse in the back-bar mirror of a chubby Scottish git holding his cigarette like a square.

A Bullshot is best mixed with homemade broth, but don't let this stop you – it still tastes great with consomme from a can. There are many variations. If you have it heated, I think it needs a little saké or dry sherry in the mix to give it more body. Some people add orange juice, as well as lemon, to the mix - but, clearly, they have no sense of taste.

I like it strong, cold and straight, with a lot of Worcestershire sauce, a good squeeze of lemon. Although it is very good served warm (not hot or the alcohol will evaporate), especially of a cold Autumnal morning or after a Winter walk.

Make Your Own Bullshot

Serves 1

Ingredients

90ml beef consomme
60ml vodka 
(10 -20ml saké or dry sherry, if desired)
A dash of Worcestershire (or dark soy) sauce 
A squeeze of lemon
Tabasco and/or Cayenne pepper
Salt
Freshly ground Black pepper
(Dried chilli flakes, if desired)

Recipe

1) Mix all the ingredients together, adding Tabasco (and/or Cayenne pepper), salt, freshly ground black pepper and dried chilli flakes (if desired) to taste.

2) Shake with cracked ice and strain into a highball glass (NB this drink is supposed to be more boozy than a Bloody Mary but if you would prefer a slightly weaker version, simply add an extra 50ml of the consomme).

3) Repeat.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: The Bullshot an alternative to The Bloody Mary

Post by Mr. Viking »

I may have to try that. Always felt I wzas missing out on bloody mary's because I don't like tomato juice
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

That may be next year's adult giveaway for Halloween. Last year's hot buttered rum was a hit, aside from some holier than thou types. They politely refused while looking at me like something they scraped off the bottom of their shoe.Drinking mid week? How crude! Fuck you very much you dry twats, see if I invite you to any parties this summer. At least I didn't have to invite the whole neighborhood. Just the ones who said, Rum? hell yes!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

I completely missde the "adult" part at the top, and that made me wish ai was a kid again, at the door

Rum.

Now im thirsty
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Has anyone tried this, yet? I think that it is delicious; and it can be had chilled (a superb aperitif for a Summer barbecue) or hot (just the thing for a crisp autumnal morning or a Winter's evening by an open fire).
Any reports/reviews would be welcome.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Throw in some Clamato juice and I'm there.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

peetie44 wrote:Throw in some Clamato juice and I'm there.
It's adaptable (although I am still baffled by "Clamato juice"; who on earth was the person who had some tomato juice and thought, "Not bad but this could really use some clam in it..."?)
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

No, actually, the vegetarian version is right in there. V-8 juice and beef broth ( I use that stuff in the jar that you stir into boiling water)
When I add vegetables it is soup. When I add vodka or whatever, it is a refreshing beverage.
like tears in rain

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Savage wrote:...the vegetarian version is right in there. V-8 juice and beef broth..
You have vegetarian beef? Truly America is a wonderous place!
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Well, I plead the fifth there. As in I drank the fifth. And then posted.
like tears in rain

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Savage wrote:Well, I plead the fifth there. As in I drank the fifth. And then posted.
Then you are absolved. Two hail (Bloody) Marys and three (of) (y)our Father's (bourbon).
Go with booze.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Daddy doesn't drink but Budweiser. Grandaddy drank bourbon. As for Grumpy, I am working on the killer bloody mix for his lordship's Sunday brunch.
like tears in rain

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Palinka wrote:
peetie44 wrote:Throw in some Clamato juice and I'm there.
It's adaptable (although I am still baffled by "Clamato juice"; who on earth was the person who had some tomato juice and thought, "Not bad but this could really use some clam in it..."?)
I started drinking Clamato when I lived in Canada (1978-1993). The locals use it in a variation of a Bloody Mary called a Bloody Caesar. I never understood the "why" of it's existence but the "Caesar" became my cocktail of choice at some of the piano bars I worked. I suppose part of the appeal is the "WTF?" comments you get from the uninitiated. To be truthful, considering how spicy I drank my BC's, I doubt I could tell the difference between Clamato and ordinary tomato juice. I actually like to make BM's with V-8 juice.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I remember asking my dad why he had tomato juice (Big Tom brand) in the fridge. He told me I wouldn't understand until I was older. I'm yey to try a bloody Mary, but I'm assured his are vicious so I might have to share this recipe with him
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

First frost today, got to say, loved my early morning Bullshot, whilst I was outside for a smoke, first thing. 'Tis a thing of beauty and a joy, forever...
ドロンケン
ImageImage